M41 Caps

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Hannibal Brooks

M41 Caps

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

Hello all,
Is there any truth in the statement that tan coloured caps were more common in Tunisia than green ones for army troops? From the pictures I've seen, the usual state of extremely faded head gear would make this nigh on impossible to confirm. I was always personally under the impression that tropical uniforms were made in a variety of shades, so anything could theoretically be possible. Any thoughts?

Hessen Antique in the States are making some good looking caps: http://www.hessenantique.com/category_s/43.htm

Both green and tan are on offer. I would also recommend the caps made by GD43.com, also in the USA.

One final question - would the 756th Gebirgs Infanterie regt of the 334th Infantry Division been issued standard M41 caps (with an Eidelweiss added ?), tropical versions of the Bergmutze, or just retained their woolen caps? Troops shipping out to North Africa in the winter of 42-43 appear to have been issued the standard tropical uniform (a pretty miserable experience in a rain soaked Tunisian winter?), so would mountain troops be any different?

And finally......

I hope to plan a Tunisian-themed hill event in South Wales in the next couple of months (Brecon Beacons/Black Mountains). This is the closest I can get to a rain soaked Djebel this side of the Channel! Anybody interested ?

Hannibal.
Heeresbergführer

Re: M41 Caps

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Servus Hannibal,

DAK uniforms are seen in a variety of shades in photographs. This is mainly due to washing and fading in the sun. If you study wartime photos, early photos from the North African campaign show most troops wearing olive green tropical uniforms...later on, veterans had very faded caps and tunics and replacements are usually seen in the olive uniforms.

A great reference book to get on this subject is Robert Kurtz's book:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffe ... 0764319205

As to the 756th Geb.Jäg.Rgt., it seems that they were issued the standard DAK tropical uniform with sleeve Edelweiss (dark green backing....not tan backing) and the M41 cap with metal cap Edelweiss...from what few wartime photographs that I have seen of this unit.

Mit einem kameradschaftlichen Horrido!
Patrick
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

Check my avatar- that cap was once olive green. It is a repro, but has been aged just like the originals were- washed in the sunlight (Australia, mate!) using petrol, salt water and a LITTLE bit of chlorine (as per hautengiftungsmittel tablets).

As you can see by the shade on my cap in colour, going by black and white photos will not tell you what colour the cap was. BUT, all the caps I have handled and seen that were issued without soutache indicating post 1942 issue- thus appropriate for Tunisia, have been olive in shade tending to olive brown. None have been tan like Lufty caps.

VERY tan Heer uniforms is another DAK farbism (like web shovel carriers!) that has spread thanks to black and white film and guesstimates of what the colour was, probably by ill- informed movie production post war and thus by Chinese whisper through the decades. Sure, TAn olive uniforms do exist, but in the minority and certainly not in the shades that Luftwaffe tropicals were in.

Tip- ALWAYS go with olive for a DAK impression! It may not sound right, but it IS right!
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Hannibal Brooks

Thanks for the info guys. That's sorted out the colour situation. As for the soutache - well it looks like all late '42 caps onwards shouldn't have them from what I've read on the forum. I have seen a few photos of replacement troops with soutaches on their caps, but the majority seem to have none. Here's a photo of officers of the s.Pz.Abt 501 with soutaches in late '42 prior to shipping to Tunisia - but officers are always a law on themselves I guess! I think I'll be sticking to a cap without one.

Cheers!
Obergefreiter Hansch

Best thing is that you can then change from grenadier to pionere without swapping caps!!!!!!!!!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Obergefreiter Hansch wrote:Best thing is that you can then change from grenadier to pionere without swapping caps!!!!!!!!!

Even less hassle with generic DAK orange litzen. You just change your shoulder boards... No sewing...
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Obergefreiter Hansch

mario33 wrote:
Obergefreiter Hansch wrote:Best thing is that you can then change from grenadier to pionere without swapping caps!!!!!!!!!

Even less hassle with generic DAK orange litzen. You just change your shoulder boards... No sewing...
Yep, we're all winners in the DAK.

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Hannibal Brooks

My cap is currently on order with Alex at GD43 (http://www.gd43.com/). I've had stuff from him in the past and have been pretty impressed. I'll post pics when it arrives.

Cheers!
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Although not all his stuff is ok - his Bergtmutzen are rather wrong...

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Hannibal Brooks

Interesting piece of info for you (perhaps I should get out more...) - apparently the front of the cap should be 10.5cm high, although originals vary by being slightly higher or slightly lower due to the vaguaries of the manufacturing process.

Incidentally, Mario, what was the issue with GD43's bergmutzes?

Cheers!
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Bergmutzen - problems I see:
- too long visor - while it was visibly shorter
- side flaps much too wide, therefore making the whole cap looking too deep
- no air vent visible on sides (just over flaps' edge)

I cant see the overall shape (should be oval with specific 'longer' back). The 'bergmutze' I can see here is much like M43 einheitsfeldmutze, which was not the case.

In general M41 caps were something between M43 and Bergmutzen (German GJ even called them: Bergmutze with long visor).

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Hannibal Brooks

I know I'm drifting off topic, but here are a couple of pics of a private purchase canvas bergmutze (for my Italian theatre impression) that Alex made me a while back. I thought it had all the required features. Comments gratefully received!
Attachments
hat4.jpg
hat4.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 9389 times
hat2.jpg
hat2.jpg (39 KiB) Viewed 9382 times
hat1.jpg
hat1.jpg (38.23 KiB) Viewed 9382 times
mario33

Post by mario33 »

It looks ok as far as visor and air vent are concerned. However, it is a bit too deep and side flaps are bit too wide. See the GJ section for photos to prove my point...

But dont worry, its still okay enough to be worn :)

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Obergefreiter Hansch

The material and the steinmuß buttons look good though. I agree it looks too tall but.

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Hannibal Brooks

Hi, thanks for the comments. If it's possible, I'll get the bergmutze altered. At present, the sides of the cap are 90mm high, the front is 112mm and the rear is 80mm. The flaps are 80mm at the side and 75mm at the rear when folded. If you can get me some dimensions I'll get the sizes reduced. Thanks for your help.

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”