How do you tacklethis?

Moderator: Feldjager

paul das reich

Post by paul das reich »

"PARADE BEHIND THE GUARD!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

*anorak mode on*

The chinstrap buckle was worn on the opposite side to the shoulder one placed the butt against so as to avoid scratching the woodwork (or hurt oneself, but I'm sure this was not high on the list of priorities).
So if your right handed, buckle goes on left, if you're some kind of freak and fire left handed, it goes on the right. But remember, this would be a tiny minority.
That is why you can find some examples of the buckle being worn on the right.

*anorak mode off*
(who am I kidding, I can't even find the switch!)
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

So late war they started wearing their bayonets back to front? FFS people! I'm talking basic glaring mistakes which people need to know.

Off you all go again :lol:
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Riedmuller wrote:i have given up trying i point things out and get but..or we tried we cant afford it or thats ok

like MP3008s being used in battles..but mr oxslade was booked out well take a deact
and wearing tan water helmet covers and there was the battle at the VS a guy behind me in gerbirgs gear looked shit just utter shit why do i bother doing it all right if they go and just slap it on
oh and same with the chinstrap the buckle is supposed to be on the left cheek but see too many people with it on the right cheek
"oh and same with the chinstrap the buckle is supposed to be on the left cheek but see too many people with it on the right cheek".... yes the buckle is supposed to go on the left cheek.... if you are right handed... if you are left handed you put the buckle on the right cheek. This is done so not to interfear with working the bolt on the rifle, when you pull the bolt to the rear it can catch on the buckle
Botty

Post by Botty »

So late war they started wearing their bayonets back to front? FFS people! I'm talking basic glaring mistakes which people need to know.
Possibly true but its not automatic that you know. Someone has to tell you. Ideally this is something that would be covered by the old hands when a new member joins a group. However I would not be put out if ANYONE pointed out a mistake of mine.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Botty I hear what your saying but we (In the Know) Have to help those that are not ! That bit said there are those out there that no matter how much you tell them that they are wrong they still do it cos they have seen a picture :shock:
ImageImageImageImageImage
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Well, I'm quite new to the hobby myself (not the subject, but the first person reenactment), so here's the view of the newbie...

First of all, you need to have SOMEONE that would tell you 'how to'. Even, if I'm interested in the subject for years, there are things you pay no attention to when looking at the photos. First person impression is a totally different story ! You're going to make mistakes again and again unless THAT PERSON tells you that.

Secondly, regarding the above, in each serious group there MUST be a verification officer, with proper knowledge and experience. His orders are to be followed closely or you'll risk expulsion from an event.

Thirdly, if you're thinking seriously about it, you need to learn. Some ppl like to learn (like me), and some dont. When they dont and they are also lazy and careless - they will never improve and need to be kept away from the group. Thats especially the case for Germans - they are rather energetic nation and seem busy all the time (look at the section on German manners on 'Der Erste Zug' webpage). e.g. unless I act as a prisoner or lazaret patient I would never ever wear my uniform without a belt ! And they sometimes do.

And, last but not least. Ppl sometime whine that they dont have THAT much money to spend so they use 'ersatz'. But, there's a difference between 'little money and care' and 'little money and no care'. I can understand a cheap Swedish-made blouse used as German one, bu you need to change its colour and at least collar shape. Its no problem, nor its costly. But you need to make that one step more. Otherwise you're just careless.

To sum up, in each hobby knowledge is your best friend.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

Franz repper wrote: there are those out there that no matter how much you tell them that they are wrong they still do it cos they have seen a picture :shock:
Ahmen to that brother, or they say... "it was the way you said it to me..." when they ment "because my skin is so thin that if someone says your bayonets on wrong I'll crumble and be so hurt that I'll curl up and die!" some people just don't like to be told. It take five second to check the lads but the winging goes on for ever!!!

Blimey that got the ol' blood cursing through my veins.... :roll:
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

There are two ways to correct someone the first way is to come off like an a..hole saying "hey dummy you got your xxxx on wrong" or the correct way "I'd like to give you a hand here you seem to have your xxxx on wrong let me fix it for you".
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

sorry for dragging slightly away
but dont want to start a new thread on how to or not

regarding belts allways worn
it depends on the situation
if you are portraying a relaxed mode in the field then bloody relax :roll:
as for seen the pic :wink:
guys
look at the many pics out there soon they will be the only thing to use as research
i have not just seen the odd one or two but cack loads of relaxed soldiers wearing kit in such a manner as to scare the top brass

having said this.......... paul is correct........... get the bloody kit worn properly if you decide to wear it :evil:

i had to be told by a long established reenactor that the eagle head on the bayonet faces thee correct way when in the frog
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Riedmuller

Post by Riedmuller »

pzrwest wrote:
Riedmuller wrote:i have given up trying i point things out and get but..or we tried we cant afford it or thats ok

like MP3008s being used in battles..but mr oxslade was booked out well take a deact
and wearing tan water helmet covers and there was the battle at the VS a guy behind me in gerbirgs gear looked shit just utter shit why do i bother doing it all right if they go and just slap it on
oh and same with the chinstrap the buckle is supposed to be on the left cheek but see too many people with it on the right cheek
"oh and same with the chinstrap the buckle is supposed to be on the left cheek but see too many people with it on the right cheek".... yes the buckle is supposed to go on the left cheek.... if you are right handed... if you are left handed you put the buckle on the right cheek. This is done so not to interfear with working the bolt on the rifle, when you pull the bolt to the rear it can catch on the buckle
As has been pointed out allready i did know it was to do with the sights but the amount of left handed people and people with it on the wrong side was way out of perportion

as for the gerbirgsjager not sure who he was or what he looked like jst turned round and thaught what a sack of shit had a massive chinstrap wich was incorrect and a shiny bright buckle seem to remember his uniform was way too big too

if your going to do it you must have an interest in the subject like i do i spend lots of my time just looking through books and when i see a new pic i havent seen before will spent hours looking at it just to spot subtle things what do these guys do just dress up so they can play with a bang stick??
stefan

Post by stefan »

It is a bit of a minefield this one :shock:

in a rear line or barrack scenario all kit worn correctly at all times
and all clean and tidy that's the way in all armies :D

in a front line scenario small details like bayonet in wrong way round not too serious in my opinion but bread bag worn on the wrong side not acceptable :x

why I say this is because in a front line situation regulations are more
relaxed with regards the finer points of orders of dress
plenty of photos to show all manner of kit worn in the most practical way
for the user though thats not to say anything goes
more things like entrenching tool worn through belt rather than in
its cover as per regulations not things like kit worn on the wrong side
of the belt or all back to front

with regards how do you tell people who have got it badly wrong
well that should be down to the group as a whole and individuals
who have longstanding within the group and reenacting

All that said best of luck I have seen people told show after show
that their kit was wrong or not correct or something and still they
turn up at the next show exactly the same or just bitch about the
person who told them to change it

sometimes I do think the WW2 side of the hobby is a little hard on
itself with detail have you seen some of the bags of sh*t you get
in other periods of reenactment it looks like anything goes as long
as you made it yourself and slept in it for a fortnight before the show :?

but glad this topic was brought up Paul maybe some of it might sink in :wink:
Darkattitude

Post by Darkattitude »

Hi Lads,
I know I do yank but I did German first for five years so I feel I can comment. The most important aspect of dress kit is looking uniform and I've always known that you will always be judged on your worst looking guy. There's no point in having 20 men look the dogs danglies and a couple who look like they've raided an east German army/navy store. We are all improving as time goes on and there's things within my own group that I want to improve. Most groups will never be the complete finshed article but we can all try our very best to make small steps towards the final goal.
Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?

Normandy44 Re-enactment Association

http://www.N44.co.uk
Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

Riedmuller wrote: what do these guys do just dress up so they can play with a bang stick??
Herr Dollmann, great thread and a good way to bring it up with the subtle piccie- congrats.

You hit it on the head Reidmuller. Some guys out there, particularly here in "Frontier" Australia just like to get into the weapons side of things and pop some caps. The fact that they can dress up a "Jermin Solgiers" and do it just adds to their own experience, even though they are in it more for the guns. Thats their perogative, but it does encroach on the units with more emphasis on field living and historical/equipment accuracy over paintball style skirmishing.

This is where the unit vetting process comes into play when they first join. If the vetting process for your unit is sound, you will pick up that 'ol Davo just wants to fire his collection of Oberdorf 1937 K98's in a field environment and not see to it that his collar liner is buttoned correctly or his height and weight in his soldbuch are accurate to his actual physical prescence.
We have had a similar experience in our unit with these bang stick boys.
Once they are in, it takes a LOT of effort to get them to a level of authenticity whereby they match their "peers". And the fact that it IS only a hobby and not the "real army" means that expulsion and other punishments are not always feasible or fair. Again, a sound policy of "here's the deal" before they sign up can fix this. The unit needs to ensure it lays all the cards on the table re authenticity PRIOR to signing the guy up. That way, they can enforce things a lot easier and with less hassle. I can respect their interests, but its not what the unit is about as a core focus.

There is nothing worse than spending half a lifetime (and lets face it- it IS half a lifetime for some of us) getting your shit together and then having a guy in a spanish helmet, swedish tunic and postwar Italian paratrooper pants who says he "is SS" come and lie down next to you and start popping caps off. It really does take you out of the moment. Don't get me wrong, I am not arrogant enough to suggest all my kit is perfect (pretty bloody close though :shock: ) but it does grip ones s#*t!!!!! This is particulalry evident when there is a multi- unit event on. In this case all you can do is hold your head high that the guy is NOT in your own unit! still doesn't make the farb any more enjoyable though.

Having said that, we are ALL constantly learning and we should remeber where we came from in regards to what's what and how things should be. I think that humbleness is a strong attribute in this regard. Yes, experienced guys in a unit ARE looked upon to provide this information and guidance to new members or those with less knowlege, but we also need to remember that there is always someone else with more knowlege than us. I for one have fallen into this trap before and it has served me well to remember it. After all, its the UNIT impression that is important, not just the individual impression.

So... bottom line is, keep the advice up to those with less knowlege but lets not forget that we ALL keep learning. In the long run it will make for a better and more accurate unit impression.

Hirschmann
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Obergefreiter Hirschmann wrote
Herr Dollmann, great thread and a good way to bring it up with the subtle piccie- congrats.
Obergefreiter the good Fwbl is as wise as he is wide :shock:
I find you post most intresting the unit that I am part is lucky to have a SS veteran from the unit we portray to help us one thing he did say was its called a UNIFORMfor a Reason ie we all look the same! in the field you wear your uniform to what suits you as long as the equipment you need for the job your doing and was in the orders that were issued before the operation, task or what ever you doing .EG For thos going out on a ski patrol
(I will only deal with the cothing side)
Clothing and Eguipment
Clothing Winter combats suits are issued if they are available ;other wise the following are issued:mountain trousers or longtrousers;ski bootsor laced boots (large enough for three pairs of socks)short puttiees or ski gaiters ;camouflage suit or camouflage cloak;three sets of woolen underwear;additional protective clothing(pullovers,sweaters,Belly bands,and jock straps);one pair of gloves and one pair of woolen mittens;no overcoats,but three woolen blankets insted (2 with the combat train);no steel helmet but cap with white cover instead face mask and snow goggles (if Available) the unit below look some what the same
those of us that was in the army will remember that we had orders telling us what order of dress for the next day should we have a stiky here in uniforms with the most common orders of dress
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”