Civilian Radio Broadcast Reception Ranges?

Discuss anything to do with communications here

Moderator: Feldjager

leicanthrope

Civilian Radio Broadcast Reception Ranges?

Post by leicanthrope »

I've got a setup where I shoehorn an iPod and some speakers into the shell of an old radio, so that we can have some semblance of period music and radio broadcasts. Try to tailor that for each event, so that we don't end up hearing about the fall of Stalingrad in 1944 events, and so on.

I was hoping that some of the more skilled radio people on this list might be able to help me get a rough picture of what the typical range for civilian radio stations might have been, given the equipment of the time. For example, how far away from Germany could one reasonably expect to tune in and pick up broadcasts from Germany, and so forth?
Stabsgefreiter Friedrich Lange
5./Gren-Rgt.916
Hoffman Grink

Re: Civilian Radio Broadcast Reception Ranges?

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Well we monitored them in England. Being an American - read up on Jack Mullin. Not strictly about radio per se - but interesting nonetheless.
Remember German Radio Broadcasts reached Stalingrad - Lord Haw Haw reached London nightly. and that was from Berlin.
leicanthrope

Post by leicanthrope »

Hoffman Grink wrote:Well we monitored them in England. Being an American - read up on Jack Mullin. Not strictly about radio per se - but interesting nonetheless.
Remember German Radio Broadcasts reached Stalingrad - Lord Haw Haw reached London nightly. and that was from Berlin.
That helps. I've got a Kreta event coming up in May, and was wracking by brain trying to figure out where to find some period Greek music...
Stabsgefreiter Friedrich Lange
5./Gren-Rgt.916
Botty

Post by Botty »

I would be interested to share some of your resources for tracking down preiod broadcasts etc.
Be a pessimist and never be disappointed.

Return to “Radio/signals”