DAK & Tropical Uniform References Books.

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

West-Front

Re: DAK & Tropical Uniform References Books.

Post by West-Front »

mario33 wrote:Although only remotely connected with DAK, I'm looking for advice on the references for the LRDG actions (Long Range Desert Group) in North Africa 1942-43 and German counter-actions (incl. KG/SV-288).
http://www.lrdg.org/LRDG_Kiwi_Scorpions_book.htm

http://blindkat.hegewisch.net/lrdg/lrdgsources.html

http://www.lrdg.de/books.htm
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

I just got two books; Afrikakorps in Color by Bernd Peitz; and Uniforms and Equipment of the DAK by Robert Kurtz and I must say I am impressed! I can recommend them to anyone interested in the DAK!
Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

Both ace books- I particularly like the Peitz book- I bought two as one will be in tatters before too long!

Stefan
Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

mario33

Post by mario33 »

I would like to recommend the book by Paul Carell, 'Foxes of the Desert'. While its not exactly about uniforms, it presents rare view of the NAfrican operations from German perspective. Author conducted thorough conversations/correspondence with various German vets on this matter, including major figures: Kesselring, Bayerlein (Rommel's chief of staff). There are lots of accounts by 'ordinary' German landsers too.

Other features not to be missed include:
- secret services actions previously unknown or not so well researched - like attempts of SAS/LRDG to capture or kill Rommel;
- Rommel's mistakes (there were some) - like misjudged pursuit against 8th Army of November 1941 from Tobruk to Sollum (and being hurried back to patch the front against revived units he judged as being competely destroyed);
- Rommel's style of commandeering, including his famous lone ventures by plane/mamooth/sdkfz251;
- completely insignificant but very characteristic not-so-military actions by landsers, including 'marriage ceremony in spe' 'common singing of German anthem at New year 1942 etc.

To sum up - well worth reading. One note however: needs some considerations from the reader as some opinions are a bit misjudged - like comparisons of LRDG/SAS vs. Brandenburgers (accounts of false uniforms being used). Not so lightly read then but still great fun.
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I've just obtained a copy of AfrikaKorps,army,luftwaffe,Kriegsmarine and waffen ss by
Robert Kurtz(that sheikh al stranghi mentioned)this book is excellent.
published by schiffer books
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”