Gebirgsjager Boots and Anklets

Moderator: les hearn

Steinmetz

Gebirgsjager Boots and Anklets

Post by Steinmetz »

Hi
Having found a pair of boots in my size at last (size 15!), I have Gebirgsjager boots which I have noticed are shorter than the normal issue half boot. I know puttees were use by Gebirgsjager troops, but I do SS. Were the standard anklets used with these? (Mind you, I don't have much choice really!)
Cheers
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
SBG Mechanics Section - Keeping the Reich rolling since '33!
Darkattitude

Post by Darkattitude »

Well done mate for finding a pair of size 15's :shock: . I think boots will start to be more available in larger sizes in the future as youngsters growing up (including my son) have feet the size of boats. My mates son is only 14 and he takes a size 12. :?
Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream?

Normandy44 Re-enactment Association

http://www.N44.co.uk
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Holy Feck size 15 boots :shock: Steinmetz if you are doing SS Gebrigsjäger you will need puttees you can can get away with socks rolled down or not at all
Two photos from my collection showing SS gebrigsjäger with out puttees
and one with puttees
That said most of the photos I have of SS gebrigsjäger Div Nord they use puttees I will find out some more info if you want
ImageImageImageImageImage
mario33

Post by mario33 »

Well, I would say - go for normal gamaschen that SS used in common units. I've seen lots of them in SS GJ units on photos. Especially in freiwilligen units. Nord was somehow different, but not so much.

Puttees are very rare thing to get... I'm experimenting with yarn to get good quality repro, but thats not that easy :)
Es steht ein kleines, kleines Edelweiß
auf einer steilen, steilen Felsenhöh!

Kampfgruppe EDELWEIß
1 KP, 100 GJR

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Steinmetz are you doing SS Gebrigsjaäger or just a SS Grenader?
ImageImageImageImageImage
Steinmetz

Post by Steinmetz »

Thanks for the replies. Not doing Gebirgs, I'm afraid, but a plain old Gren of the SBG. Reason why I asked is that I think theres a good chance that my normal gamaschen would slip above the boot. Just a query, but I will soon find out when I wear them at Mereworth!

Hopefully, one supplier might be able to do me a pair of jackboots in my size! Nice to have the Gebirgs boots, strong and well made. And comfy! It beats having to wear my old Brit ammo boots!

Nice pics by the way, Franz. I'm now collecting period photos too.
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
SBG Mechanics Section - Keeping the Reich rolling since '33!

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”