Soldat's Pay before 1942?

for information on soldbuchs,stamps,money,passes etc.

Moderator: Feldjager

Goffredo

Soldat's Pay before 1942?

Post by Goffredo »

Hi all,

what form of currency would have soldiers been paid before the 1942 Wehrmacht currency was introduced? Also was it different if one was in Germany or if in an occupied country?

Thanks, Jeff
Jugendkrieger

Re: Soldat's Pay before 1942?

Post by Jugendkrieger »

Deutsches Reichmarks were intended to stay "at home" German soldiers in kaserne in germany would be paid in marks. men abroad would be paid with a cash stipend in the currency of the land in which they were serving. and the rest to be paid in marks to their significant others.

Marc
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Greetings lads :D here are some pics of wartime German currency, notice the higher demonation was dated from the 30's, this is due to the fact that the German government tried to keep down production of banknotes so that the German Mark was strong, to prevent a currency crash similar to what occured in 1922 (see below) regards Peiper :wink:
tmpphplVu6EQ.jpg
tmpphplVu6EQ.jpg (12.52 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
tmpphpuGpTUX.jpg
tmpphpuGpTUX.jpg (15.32 KiB) Viewed 3744 times
tmpphpu0Dv92.jpg
tmpphpu0Dv92.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
Last edited by Peiper on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Gruss gott gents :D here's some better pics of some Reichmarks :wink: (some more to follow)
tmpphpRGISs9.jpg
tmpphpRGISs9.jpg (13.36 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
tmpphpwRSvm5.jpg
tmpphpwRSvm5.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 3756 times
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Servus lads/lasses :D here's some more marks :wink:
tmpphpppvxsI.jpg
tmpphpppvxsI.jpg (16.49 KiB) Viewed 3751 times
tmpphpA0pkVN.jpg
tmpphpA0pkVN.jpg (12.19 KiB) Viewed 3747 times
Goffredo

Post by Goffredo »

Thanks all for the replies. So in my wallet there should be currency from the country that "I'm in." A follow on question, was it just standard currency, i.e. did France keep printing their money unchanged from presummer 1940 till 1945 or was it stamped with an occupation indication or ...?

Thanks again, Jeff
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Greetings kameraden :D i have got a few other examples of currency including German Nazi occupation notes and some wartime French francs which i will post a bit later (unfortunately i havent got them with me). Funny thing about French currency is that there were notes printed up to 41 under authority of the normal French government then from 41 onwards German Nazi occupation money was issued/printed then from 44 onwards Allied occupation Francs were used (i have some examples), basicaly 3 different sorts were used, regards Peiper :wink:

Return to “Paperwork”