A few assorted photos.

U-boot, German Navy, Italian navy.

Moderator: pzrwest

Tychsen

A few assorted photos.

Post by Tychsen »

Nothing too special here , photos of crewmen from the light Kreuzer Emden.
First guy is a Petty Officer - his anchor and trade badge / collar tab denote his rank - I can't find his trade badge ( as yet) , it may well be gunnery related as the badge below ( a flaming shell with one chevron below identifies himas being a "Geschutzfuhrer fur Seezeil- und Flakartillerie kleinerer fahrzeuge. ( Gun chief of smaller vessels).

Two more Petty Officers taken in Oslo , the named tally being set aside for the standard nondescript Kriegsmarine tally - again the guy on the right appears to be a gunner - the award badge I can't make out - it is similar to a mine sweeping badge but I don't think it is that.
P.O on the left is an Obermaat
Anyone with sharp eyes , please let me know .:)

Again on board Emden - a type G7a torpedo under goes maintance.

A nice portrait photo of an Oblt. Zur See. I picked this up in a fair in France - probably paid too much but what the heck - I liked the photo which was still in its frame.
Who is the poor guy , did he get throught the war and safe home ?
I hope so.

Reproduction wise this is very dark - I didn't want to remove it from the frame and glass , in actuality the photo is pin sharp.
Oberleutnant

Re: A few assorted photos.

Post by Oberleutnant »

Photoshop the last one mate an it should be as good as new.

KB
Wir Fahren Gegen Engelland

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

KB will try and get my eldest to do it for me - I am crap with Pc's but worth a go :)
Thanks for the call on it.
Last edited by Tychsen on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oberleutnant

Post by Oberleutnant »

Tychsen wrote:KB will try and get my eldest to do it for me - I am crap with Pc's but worth a go :)
Thanks fopr the call on it.
No probs, least you will have a better copy on your PC after :lol:

KB
Wir Fahren Gegen Engelland

PanzerGrenadier (Driver)
902 Panzer Lehr
Shergar

Post by Shergar »

Thanks for sharing James .
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

The men in the first 2 pics are Maats. Denoted by just one gold strip across the upper end of the collar patches and no cheveron below the sleave badge. If there were two gold stripes on the upper end of the collar patches and a single ceveron below the trade badge they would be Obermaats.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Harold , what threw me - the trim around the collar of the man on the left , the man on the right does not - again it may just be my eyes. :oops:
I would be the first to admit my knowledge of non officer ranks would not be top mark. :oops:
Thanks for correcting my error. :)
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

Here is a link to our unit's training manual on ranks and insignia. http://hometown.aol.com/greatpolarbear/ ... age45g.jpg you will see the maat and obermaat have tresse around the collar on their peacoats
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Cheers for that link Harold - I will keep it to hand. :D
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Our cat knocked it off the dining room table and was promptly ejected with little ceremony - before putting it back together again this scan was taken.
Worth what I paid for it ......no regrets......I do wonder who he was / is and if he "came safe home" , I certainly hope so.
Last edited by Tychsen on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Alex
Herr Wissenschaftler

Post by Alex »

would just like to say (at the risk of spamming!) that this sort of thread is what I run this forum for. Fascinating.

Thanks Tychsen for all your posts on here, been a damned good read so far.

Alex.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Alex I could ( at the risk of spamming) and telling a porkie say that "I am not only a pretty face" but I am not a pretty face.
Between looking at this I am trying to put together a very nice 1940's picture frame , the guilty feline having fled.
When repairing the damaged frame I found this at the back of the photo a chalk sketch dated 1939 - done by a friend , the man himself , a family member ?

Seems to be an adult signature

Strange what turns up , not a brillant sketch but nice to have, if it spent 60 odd years there who am I not to put it back.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Two period photos - hard to say no for the grand sum of 7 Euros.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

A few more photos - I got these from a gent in Norway , some it seems have come from an album.
The downside of the internet is the effect auctions sites like eBay have on folks, albums can be dismembered and sold piecemeal for more than the actual album might be worth if it were sold intact.
This means somones past is scattered across the world and their identity is lost, these were not obtained via eBay and the getnI bought them from recieved them as individualitems . ie he did not take them from an album himself.

Again you have to wonder who they were and if they survived the war - almost certainly all did not and on the law of averages some probably died on U-Boats.

The tallies are interesting and the walking out dress is has to be said is very stylish.

Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Great pictures and the history that goe's with them.
The badge mentioned earlier,going by the shape is the DRL(german national sports badge).
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.

Return to “Kriegsmarine”