Dirndls have arrived!!

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

Wilder Feger

Dirndls have arrived!!

Post by Wilder Feger »

My two dirndls have finally arrived!! And they fit perfectly!! Happy dance!!

For those of you not ladies.. stop reading.. yeah right! :roll: :lol:

I would like to know from those who have worn them... is it necessary since they fit snuggly to wear a foundation garment ? because they both sseem to fit okay with out one because of the support offered in the dirndls themselves. And it looks "right", I just need another opinion on this...
Also, if I don't have a "t-bar" type shoe can I wear a "mary jane" type with white socks or black lace ups with white socks?

Thanks for the help! I'm so excited!!! Okay, right.. calm now... :D

Kelly
'Guns for show, knives for a pro'

Kelly McKeel - Facebook me!
DRK Nurse - Heidi Stöckel
Helferinnen- Heidi Stöckel
Sgt ATS
MissDirndl

Post by MissDirndl »

Piccies please?
Mine's still not finished...too much else to do...:(
I have lined the bodice etc on mine and it is slightly corseted almost?
K
Johanna von Mauer

Post by Johanna von Mauer »

My dirndl doesn't have a corset type bodice, but it is pretty closely fitted. I do need to get round to shortening it though as the long length of mine really isn't right. Just too scared to make a mess of shortening it!

Can't wait to see your finished dirndl Katie. We'll have to get together at the Victory Show and do a dirndl night!!

Hey Kelly, you can wear either of the shoes. In all the pictures I have seen of girls in this costume, they have been wearing either lace ups or T-bar shoes. Infact, any black reasonably flat and plain 40's shoe seems to be on the photo's I've seen. I can't make out though if they are wearing knee length white socks or if they are white stockings.

Do you know what was worn on the legs Katie?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Long white stockings with rubber hold up tops!!!!!
erm...! :shock: SORRY! just daydreaming there ladies......

Just wear whatever ladeeez..... I can assure you it will make at least one alte kampfer happy........ :wink:

Detling seems to be Dirndl Central this year. :lol:
MissDirndl

Post by MissDirndl »

Hi Jo,
I'll hem it for you if you like? Dead easy to do. It is a long one isnt it? Victory show? You're on! :)
Ankle socks???? No bleedin way! Can't I wear stockings?
K :oops:
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Thanks so much, Kate, Jo and.. oh alright Paul, too... :wink:

Okay, I have black lace ups that I wear with other civvy stuff and I have flat mary janes with strap over the top. I reckon I'll just wear the ankle socks. They are shorter than I had anticipated.. like knee length and to tell you the truth ladies, I didn't overly concern myself with period or not period. I plan to wear one during the day and here's the pic. Like I said.. I know it's not period, but...

The other one I think I shall wear at the dance and I don't have a pic of it, but it's better as a surprise anyway. My concern was more whether an "upper" foundation garment was necessary or not. (Guys, no need to respond :lol: I know YOUR answer) Just seemed that the design itself lent to support "up there", but I didn't know how it was normally done or is it just down to what you're comfortable wearing or not wearing?
danke,
Kelly

Sgt ATS
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

Kelly,

The top of the Dirndl should fit rather snugly, and if you're wearing one of those "short" blouses underneath, you should not need to wear a bra underneath. That is, unless you're more comfortable wearing one, in which case they have Dirndl bras designed to be worn with the low-cut Dirndls.

And yes, any shoe, really. Any black lace-up or Mary Jane style that is otherwise period correct would be correct to be worn with your Dirndl. Since you're going more toward fashion Dirndl than traditional Dirndl, you can wear it with any type sock or stocking you want. You don't have to have the white knit knee-highs.

Chris
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

BDMhistorian wrote:Kelly,

The top of the Dirndl should fit rather snugly, and if you're wearing one of those "short" blouses underneath, you should not need to wear a bra underneath. That is, unless you're more comfortable wearing one, in which case they have Dirndl bras designed to be worn with the low-cut Dirndls.

And yes, any shoe, really. Any black lace-up or Mary Jane style that is otherwise period correct would be correct to be worn with your Dirndl. Since you're going more toward fashion Dirndl than traditional Dirndl, you can wear it with any type sock or stocking you want. You don't have to have the white knit knee-highs.

Chris
Chris.. that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the info. Thanks everyone for your help.

Kelly

Sgt ATS
Johanna von Mauer

Thanks for the offer of shortening my Dirndl at the Victory Show, I may need to take you up on that if I'm not feeling brave enough to tackle it myself.

Paul, I don't think hold-up stockings with rubber tops were around in the 40's you minx!! Nevertheless, that's a good idea. I was considering knee length socks, but don't like the sexy sock marks they leave behind when changing outfits, ankle socks do that too.

Kelly, I will hopefully get the chance to meet you at Detling, the Dirndl in the picture looks lovely. Don't worry about it not being period, mine isn't either. Infact I don't think many people would own a period one. Looking at the pictures I have of them, the style hasn't really changed anyway. A Dirndl is a Dirndl.

I will be at Peak Rail on Saturday, so I may see you at Rowsley if you are there that day.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

when changing outfits
ROFL!

So rubber topped stockings it is then ladies......?
Johanna von Mauer

Ooo Paul, you're encouragable! :shock: :lol:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I hope you mean INcorrigible!!!!

(or do I?????)

Nope - I'm definitely ENcouragable :twisted:

So this year's Detling - Am I the official Dirndl Dolly Dalbyman?
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Fwbl Dollman wrote:I hope you mean INcorrigible!!!!

(or do I?????)

Nope - I'm definitely ENcouragable :twisted:

So this year's Detling - Am I the official Dirndl Dolly Dalbyman?

Self appointed I see...

And I personally think you're both incorrigible and encouragable!!

Jo, thanks for the extra "encouragement" and I am looking forward to meeting you on the Saturday!! I'll be at the event from Thursday through Monday.

Kel

Sgt ATS
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

I was considering knee length socks, but don't like the sexy sock marks they leave behind when changing outfits, ankle socks do that too.
I've found that if you wear an all cotton ankle sock that does not have elastic in the top, you don't really get any marks from them. They are somewhat hard to find. One place that carries them in the States is the Vermont Country Store (http://www.vermontcountrystore.com)

On a side note, that same place also carries cotton knit bras that are great for World War II re-enacting (and really comfortable to wear when it's hot), as well as cotton slips and "granny panties". Oh, and they have a nice "brands from the past" section for men and women (toiletry items), many of which are correct for the time period.
Infact I don't think many people would own a period one. Looking at the pictures I have of them, the style hasn't really changed anyway. A Dirndl is a Dirndl.
Not really. The Balkonette style (the kind where your nipples sit just at the edge of the top) wasn't at all common in the World War II period and you also hardly ever see them with a front zipper. The ones you mostly see for that time period are the "fashion" dirndls that consist of a flower patterned top that buttons in front and is fairly closed up at the top, with the poofy-sleeved blouse (these days, the blouses don't usually have the poofy sleeves).
Wilder Feger

Post by Wilder Feger »

Yep, Chris... I use VCS for a lot of stuff like that as well. Everytime I try to order a bra though, they are out of it. I've passed it along to a lot of female re-enactors here too. Also the cotton stockings though they are not seamed, you can do it easy enough. I also wear just cotton non elastic little white socks from Target that I bought years ago and they do fine and look right.

Kel

Sgt ATS

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”