Re: Spearhead/Barrylyndon overseas caps

Moderator: Feldjager

S.Thomas

Post by S.Thomas »

Hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has any of these, any year model, any branch of service, about the quality of these caps. I have the black SS Verfügungstruppe cap Image , and have ordered the two DAK caps in olive green and olive brown Image Image , the earth grey Verfügungstruppe cap Image , the Elite/Heer panzer EM M41 Image , and the Elite/Heer officer M41 Image
The triangular eagle insignia was placed slightly off on the black SS-VT cap, and the Hakenkreuz has a double ring around it, making it inaccurate. The SS panzer caps have a cockarde in place of the skull, and none but the SS-VT caps are available with the eagle. I have only ever seen DAK caps in olive brown, never the olive green sold by Spearhead. The olive brown DAK overseas cap does have a red lining, but the olive green model has a tan coloured one.
A post at warrelics.eu, linked below, has what appears to be a Spearhead cap billed as the "worst schiffchen ever"...
http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth-hea ... ver-23699/ There`s a difference between a reproduction and a "fake", I`m sure we all understand this.
This appears to be a Heer EM M40, and in the pic it looks quite threadbare. I wish I`d seen this before I ordered it.
I`m not a re-enactor; I bought all these for everyday wear. Anyone have any comments on any of these?
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

I think you just wasted your money, all caps I have seen from him were made of very poor quality wool.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

I had one a couple of yrs ago, they do seem thin wool and the insignia that comes with his caps or tunics are rubbish
and not authentic at all in my humble opinion :?:

If you do buy these caps disregard any insignia and throw it away and buy better from the dealers mentioned on here,
tbh after postage it works out the same to buy from the UK anyway and the items are better quality imho ??

Good luck, Peiper
Stosser

Post by Stosser »

His hats are awful. Thin material, unusable insignia, and poor sizing. I ordered two hats in my normal size. One came down over my ears and the other wouldn't even fit on my head.

However, his uniforms have always satisfied me.
Objr. Ernst Stosser
Stab./GJR.100
US Rangers
California Historical Group
VonSchnitzel

Post by VonSchnitzel »

some in my group think his great to buy from but I think is quality it alittle average
Fairly priced though for what you get
Western Australia's Only WW2 Reenacting Group
World War 2 Forces WA
http://www.ww2forceswa.com

Ramcke Brigade Afrika
43rd Sturm Pioniers
18th Luftwaffe Field Division
German Combat Medic
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Stosser wrote:His hats are awful. Thin material, unusable insignia, and poor sizing. However, his uniforms have always satisfied me.
Are his caps not made of the same wool as his uniforms?
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Stigroadie wrote:
Stosser wrote:His hats are awful. Thin material, unusable insignia, and poor sizing. However, his uniforms have always satisfied me.
Are his caps not made of the same wool as his uniforms?
Its funny Stig, some of his uniforms are thin flimsy material (the field grey tunics) yet his M40 is quite thick, similar
to Sturm, the caps ive seen seem to be made from the thin stuff :?:
Just my humble opinion

Cheers Pipes
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

Sorry to bumb this up, but what about his DAK and Luftwaffe tropical cotton caps?

S. Thomas, how did you find yours?

Regards,

Christian
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Christian save your money
ImageImageImageImageImage
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

Franz / Thomas,

can you send me some closeups of these caps? What's wrong about them? The tropical uniforms from SM are praised to be quite decent. Aren't the caps made from the same material?

Christian
Rodian

Post by Rodian »

Sheikh Al Stranghi wrote:I think you just wasted your money, all caps I have seen from him were made of very poor quality wool.
Yep, I once made the mistake of ordering an overseas cap from him.....wouldn't even wipe my arse with it. :wink:
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

christiandbn wrote:The tropical uniforms from SM are praised to be quite decent. Aren't the caps made from the same material?
It is unlikely that SM and Spearhead would use the same cloth.
This thread is about Spearheads crappy caps not SMWholesales rather fetching ones.
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

ok i got you mixed up. Let me try and rephrase :)

With Spearhead's tropical uniform getting some decent reviews viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7688&p=77884&hilit ... ffe#p77884

How come the caps are crappy, if they are the same material?
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

Christianbn,
Pretty much all the guys have told you that Spearhead's stuff is pretty crappy and not to waste your hard earned money because you'll probably be disappointed. I have to agree. Spend your money wisely and buy from recommended dealers who sell quality items.
However, it appears that you're hoping/straining to find just one rousing approval from someone to justify you ordering from Spearhead. It's your money.
Good luck on your quest!
mauser98
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

I understand m8. Just asked Thomas for some pictures of the Tropical caps he ordered.

That's all.

Whom do you suggest for LW tropical and DAK caps? European vendors preferably.

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”