italian cammo smock

Moderator: Feldjager

Shergar

italian cammo smock

Post by Shergar »

was there ever an italian cammo smock produced by the germans , as i was asked this tonight ?
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

No only , Parkas .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Roel VGD

Post by Roel VGD »

Yes and no.
Not in a large scale.
But in some cases they were field made out of a found piece camo material by the private himself or his "clothing maker".(I hope this is the correct translation?).

There are famous pictures of SS troops wearing Italian camo "smocks".
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Roel VGD wrote:"clothing maker"
Tailor :wink:
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

I have never seen smocks made from Italian camo material , I know they made Parkas as I have one and also trousers .If you look at the 12 SS HJ Div in France in 1944 you will see alot of Italian camo been worn but never smocks.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
stefan

Post by stefan »

I have seen pictures of these also zelts and parkers

but no photos of one being worn in combat [somck that is]

so though they existed it would be in small numbers
field made most likley

the zelts and parkers all look factory made

take a look at the bottom of the page

http://thuringenmilitaria.com/camo.html
Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

All type of Smocks were factory made due to the complexity of the structure and I've never seen a real Italian one. Italian jackets were usually field made from the large amounts of cloth that was "liberated" from the Italians. The trousers tended to be factory made from the same stocks. The 12ss grenadiers were issued trousers but only nco's/officers recieved jackets.

Regards
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust
Muller

Post by Muller »

cant say i have ever seen one, although i have some italia camo trousers in the pattern of tropical FJ trousers, i know there pukka cos barry lyndon makes them :lol:

know i have a nice photo of some FJ in italy wearing them and they look gorgoeus!
jason litt

Re: italian cammo smock

Post by jason litt »

Shergar wrote:was there ever an italian cammo smock produced by the germans , as i was asked this tonight ?
I think the answer lies in the fact that the German army had field tailors and cobblers so that anything could be produced within reason , espescially for officers , so it would not be unreasonable to suspect that such a garment (s) was produced though in limited numbers . The only other answer would lie in where did the SS knock up all the Italian stuff worn in Normandy and what exactly was produced , the Germans were pretty efficient fellows and must have kept records , or was this all fied produced as well ? or perhaps produced in a concentration camp , after all the SS had good access to slave labour as they ran the camps . 26th Panzer in Italy also wore a good amount of Italian camo and theirs was "locally" produced ,. presumably by Italian tailors and again a fair variety existed.

Regards , Jason
supermario

Post by supermario »

Regarding the Italian Parkas, there was some speculation that these were post war czech. Its known that some of the original italian camo printing rollers did end up in czechoslovakia.

Neil

Der Spiess
Location: Don't know but that blokes got a balaclava and an AK47!

Post by Der Spiess »

supermario wrote:Regarding the Italian Parkas, there was some speculation that these were post war czech.

Neil
asically the new czech army used lots of old gherman kit including underwear...... So to continue to use Italian print Parkas would seem the norm. Most of the one for sale will be post war czech ones tho.
Toodle pip
Der Spiess
Belfast or Bust

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”