Etulinjan Edessä finnish war film

Moderator: Pirkka

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Dont know too much as of yet will ask on of the extras more on it and post it here
ImageImageImageImageImage
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

lentosotamies wrote:
Pirkka wrote:I read that the book in English isn't a great translation. It probably needs a new treatment, like the prequel about the Koskela family got.
The book, even as a bad translation, is still a fantastic read, though.
Slim chance of that happening I am afraid. Tiny market - who is interested?

Get your self a Finnish dictionairy and do it yourself! :D
Enough of a market for Linna's 'Under The North Star' trilogy to be retranslated into English. As this is the prequel to 'The Unknown Soldier', it seemed fair that Linna's classic would get a new translation at some point.
A Finnish dictionary wouldn't work. The word endings seem to change almost at will and nouns decline in 16 different ways. I'm just going to have to find someone to teach me Finnish, a tall order in North East England.
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

Pirkka wrote:
lentosotamies wrote:
Pirkka wrote:I read that the book in English isn't a great translation. It probably needs a new treatment, like the prequel about the Koskela family got.
The book, even as a bad translation, is still a fantastic read, though.
Slim chance of that happening I am afraid. Tiny market - who is interested?

Get your self a Finnish dictionairy and do it yourself! :D
Enough of a market for Linna's 'Under The North Star' trilogy to be retranslated into English. As this is the prequel to 'The Unknown Soldier', it seemed fair that Linna's classic would get a new translation at some point.
A Finnish dictionary wouldn't work. The word endings seem to change almost at will and nouns decline in 16 different ways. I'm just going to have to find someone to teach me Finnish, a tall order in North East England.
But you are asking for a work to be updated? that is a tall order.

I know a Finnish dictionary wouldn't work, I was pulling your leg.

Finnish societies in UK run out of London and have regional branches across the country. There are Finns everywhere, you would be surprised.

What organisations have you looked at?
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Try the Finnish church guild in London thats the one I used . Dont worry I have lived here in Finland for over a year and still no picked the lingo up long job me thinks :shock:
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

Franz repper wrote:Try the Finnish church guild in London thats the one I used . Dont worry I have lived here in Finland for over a year and still no picked the lingo up long job me thinks :shock:
Thank-you- that's what I was thinking of. My brain wouldn't connect to my mouth properly :D

Become a Reserviläisen and your Finnish will come on leaps :twisted:
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

No moi lentosotamies I am in the doing that at the mo just waiting for Helsinki to repliy .As for the Finnish church guild there is on in York so Pirkka wont have to go to london to learn Finnish :D.
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

Franz repper wrote:No moi lentosotamies I am in the doing that at the mo just waiting for Helsinki to repliy .As for the Finnish church guild there is on in York so Pirkka wont have to go to london to learn Finnish :D.
I do not follow - you are awaiting confirmation from Helsinki that you can join the reserves?

London is a long way to travel to for Finnish lessons. I would not be surprised if there was a modest Finnish group working out of Yorkshire. But as Franz says, contact London first, they should be able to point you in the correct direction.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Yes sorry I am awaiting confirmation from Helsinki to join the reserves in Finland :D one man three uniforms bit like Lauri A. Torni ( Larry A. Thorn) Now that is a story for Hollywood .There is a place in York for the church Guild
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

Franz repper wrote:Yes sorry I am awaiting confirmation from Helsinki to join the reserves in Finland :D one man three uniforms bit like Lauri A. Torni ( Larry A. Thorn) Now that is a story for Hollywood .There is a place in York for the church Guild
Good for you.

Are you ex British Army? How good is your Finnish? Let me know how it goes, I will have fingers crossed for you :D
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Yes I did 9 years The name of the new film coming out is Tali-Ihantala 1944 it comes out Autumn 2007 around the time Finland is 90 years old
Last edited by Franz repper on Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lentosotamies

Post by lentosotamies »

Franz repper wrote:Yes I did 9 years The name of the new film coming out is Tali-Ihantala 1944 it comes out Autumn 2007 around the timr Finland is 90 years old
I will keep an eye out.

Pelionnea!
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Do so from what I know it will be a big one.As this was one of the most inportant battles in the war for the Finns. And the one with the biggest artillery battle German,Finnish and Russian

Return to “Finnish Discussion”