How would you not know who Rudolph Hess is?

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
barryG

How would you not know who Rudolph Hess is?

Post by barryG »

Was having a bit of banter at work with a young member of staff and an older man of around early 50s; it was relating to a guy we know who looks remarkably like Hess. The older man, who is of Belgian origin asked "who is Hess"? I was taken aback by this and said you dont know of Rudolph Hess, to which he said hes never heard of him. I told him who he was, and asked if he did WW2 history at school in Belgium. His answer was no, he never once was taught anything about the war and that he felt it was a British thing to be obssessed with it!

So, are we as Brits a bit obssessed and does anyone else find it a little weird that a country like Belgium that was right in the thick of it never taught kids who are now at our ages?

Anyway, this guy who looks like him.... he doesnt appreciate the fact we all noticed!
deviouswolf

Re: How would you not know who Rudolph Hess is?

Post by deviouswolf »

Not ww2 but a comparison,When I did Napolionic Wargaming I met some french students and asked what there oppinions on waterloo and was told that to the french waterloo not a big thing in there history, infact was more a footnote, there own history dwelled on the empire that was built rather than a battle that marked the end of an empire already in decline.
Yet we as a nation dwell alot on the battle itself and less on the long campaign that was fought for meny years before that through portugal and spain.

Is this a cultural trait!
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Is he one of Santa's reindeer?
barryG

Post by barryG »

Nah, his eyebrows frightened all the others so he was sacked :wink:
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Well was his brother Elliott in the FBI?
Gilhusen

Post by Gilhusen »

deviouswolf wrote:Not ww2 but a comparison,When I did Napolionic Wargaming I met some french students and asked what there oppinions on waterloo and was told that to the french waterloo not a big thing in there history, infact was more a footnote, there own history dwelled on the empire that was built rather than a battle that marked the end of an empire already in decline.
Yet we as a nation dwell alot on the battle itself and less on the long campaign that was fought for meny years before that through portugal and spain.

Is this a cultural trait!
thats cus there french :lol:

Return to “Anything WWII!”