Reference material on U-Bootwaffe.

U-boot, German Navy, Italian navy.

Moderator: pzrwest

Tychsen

Re: Reference material on U-Bootwaffe.

Post by Tychsen »

The first of three recently bought books to land on the doormat.

I msut say that I was disappointed by the lack of information - the book consists of biographies of the 145 holders of the Knights Cross within the U-Boat arm a good collection of photos (opposite each biography ) but reproduced on paper leaving a dull poorly detailed image , binding apart this book could have could have been produced to a higher standard.
The biographical details are sparse in terms of insights into the men themselves , I am left with the taste of a book which has been rather basically researched and whilst an outline of the notable events in the careers of each holder are presented you get the impression that it is all rather rushed and much more is left unsaid , a much better book could have been written.
Roll and Busch's book is honestly a better buy ,as it identifies RK holders and gives a condensed but more detailed outline of the service career of the individuals.

A fault common to both is that holders of the German Cross in Gold are not identified as being so , nor are the higher awards for service within the U-Boat arm.

( Today "Shadow Divers" the discovery and subsequent death of a father and son who dived on U-869 off Americas eastern seabaord. The book tells of their story and how the boat was later identified. ).
KapitanPrien

Post by KapitanPrien »

I'll add some:

The Hunters and the Hunted: German U-Boats, 1939-1945 by Jochen Brennecke

7th Flotilla (Spearhead)

Battle Beneath the Waves - Robert Stern

Battle of the Atlantic - Williams

Count Not the Dead - Hadley

Enemy Submarine - Wolfgang Frank

HX 72: The First Convoy to Die - O'Brien

Nightmare at Scapa Flow

Sea Wolves - Wolfgang Frank

Star of Shame: Arandora Star

U-Boat Combat Missions

U-Boats Under the Swastika

Wolf Pack: The Story of the U-Boat in World War II
- Gordon Williamson

WWI - Fips - Werner Furbringer

WWI - Lusitania - Simpson

WWI - Raiders of the Deep - Lowell Thomas

WWI - U-Boat Stories: Great War - Claus Bergen and Karl Neureuther

WWI - U-Boat War: 1914-1918
"German submariners were first class - there has never been a better submarine force than the German." - General Douglas MacArthur
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Four of the above WW2 titles I have - "Santa" has added "Donitz's Crews" to this listing .
KapitanPrien

Post by KapitanPrien »

While this title doesn't directly deal with U-Boats - I personally feel that it should be read:

The Grand Scuttle by Dan Van der Vat

It's a very good book dealing with the Imperial Navy and how the population of Germany supported the Navy through the Deutscher Flottenverein. It does mention some on the U-Boat war during WWI though, and of course the significance of Scapa Flow and the scuttling by Reuter.
"German submariners were first class - there has never been a better submarine force than the German." - General Douglas MacArthur

Return to “Kriegsmarine”