Germany wants to ban nazi symbols within EU

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
Willi Heydrich

Germany wants to ban nazi symbols within EU

Post by Willi Heydrich »

I don´t know if this has been discussed earlier, but that´s what I read today in our biggest daily.
What will this mean for Heer/WSS re-enactors if it becomes a directive/law? Will we be arrested if caught sporting our uniforms?
What about book covers with swastikas/runes, will they too be banned?

Willi the confused
6. SS-Gebirgsjäger Division "Nord" Regt. 12 "Michael Gaißmair" Kriegsberichter
Feldjager

Post by Feldjager »

I think the EU tried this one a while ago, but it fell flat on its face. I can't remember the specifics, but I think human rights and freedom of expression was cited.

Anyone else remember?

Dave
Feldgendarmerie Trupp 82 - http://www.feldgendarmerie.co.uk
Panzer Nachrichten Abt. 38 - http://www.funker.co.uk
Hauptverbandplatz 82 - http://www.hvp82.co.uk

LHA members
Ewald Koch

Post by Ewald Koch »

Political correctness rises its ugly head again. This was discussed widely some years ago but the whole debate dried when people suggested that hammer and sickle should be banned as well, not to mention crosses, crescent moons and stars of David, as nasty things have been made, are made and will be made on their name.

Swastikas, SS runes, Totenkopfs, pictures of Hitler etc are banned in Germany, France and Austria if they are not used in education or research, for example in a book. So books will not be burned because of this! Militaria fairs in Germany are interesting as all of the above mentioned insignia must be covered or the dealer will get a penalty of x thousand EUR.

Finnish Air Force used blue swastika as national emblem until 1945, and our ground forces used a black one (but different to German black swastika too). Some Finnish Air Force insignia still bears swastika, and this has caused some mayhem in Germany when Finnish soldiers have visited there.
"Meine Ehre heißt Treue"

SS-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 12
"Michael Gaißmair" re-enactors

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Imagine that, the germans trying to impose their will over the rest of Europe. Shocking! Didn't happen last time did it.
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

ARe there any information avalible of how serious those politicians are? Mabye it's just a single german member of the Eu parliament that have said this, like it was the case when they tried this the last time?
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

If this weren't such a big issue, I would find it pretty funny. The Germans, who are always so quick to point the finger at the US and say, "They're pushing their believes / opinions / lifestyle / politics / etc. on us poor Germans" want to legislate what people in countries outside of Germany can do.

And exactly what right do they have to do this, anyway? Who's made it their business to police their neighbors in the EU who've managed perfectly fine except for the times Germany's tried to take them over in time of war....
Helmut Schegel

Post by Helmut Schegel »

According to the Independent 'Germany is to revive plans to criminalise Holocaust denial as well as the use of Nazi symbols in all EU countries making them punishable by up to three years in prison. Ministers in Berlin have identified the move as a priority of germany's six-month presidency of the EU which began on the 1st of January.' The report says the move will run into opposition from the EU's newest members in eastern Europe, who have objected, in the past when such a move was suggested, because communist symbols were not included. However other countries such as the UK, Denmark and Sweden have misgivings, fearing that freedom of speech would be compromised.
The European Commission says that 'it is confident that the law will be sufficiently well drafted to ensure that genuine historical debate about the Nazi period would not be impeded.'
So, like the VCR Bill, we need to ensure an effective lobby to present our legislators with an effective argument to exempt reenactors from the provisions of this law, if it is ever enacted.
3 Kp./Jäger Regiment 83
" Regimenter sterben zehnmahl, aber es bleibt....das Regiment."
simon

Post by simon »

Living over here in Belfast has opened my eyes to the significance of symbols,flags and badges in todays society(here anyway)To ban symbols
that conjour up feelings of fear or incite hatred would eventual leave us with nothing! Live and let live,as long as you're not ramming your symbols and badges down peoples throats.SS runes and such recieved well over here and in the South too :D
Der Dachs mit Dudelsack
---------------
FJ 39-45
Fallschirmjaeger Ang'
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Here's a BBC web page on the subject:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6263103.stm
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

steve kellher

Post by steve kellher »

Governments{Oh well guess there is no more worse things to worry about in life}The uk will jump on the band wagon no doubt {best get your tambereens and sandals out and rattle for freedom} im haveing all my decs tattooed on my chest try take them of me them MR PC COCK a doodle
FMROMMEL

Post by FMROMMEL »

lets start with the romans.
Imagethen we have the Amiens Cathedral.
Imagethen the danes need a talking to about the Carlsberger Elephant Gate.
http://www.forceschildrenstrust.org
The Forces Children’s Trust is helping dependent children that have lost a parent whilst serving with UK Armed Forces.
Riedmuller

Post by Riedmuller »

FOr **** sake have they got nothing better to do with there time? is it going to save lives is it going to save money is it going to make Europe more peacefull NO it will just cost lodsa money to make a law that is going to ban a 6 lines in a certan shape that one nation that was supposed to have been involved in atrocoties used on its uniforms and flags
polticions need to get lives and get in the real world
Pug42

Post by Pug42 »

It's a waste of time... the more you try and forbid or even ban certain symbols, the more potent they become, not less. You only have to look at the history of the Christian cross to see that...
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf...

STURMPANZER ABTEILUNG
Dietmar

Post by Dietmar »

Riedmuller wrote:FOr **** sake have they got nothing better to do with there time? is it going to save lives is it going to save money is it going to make Europe more peacefull NO it will just cost lodsa money to make a law that is going to ban a 6 lines in a certan shape that one nation that was supposed to have been involved in atrocoties used on its uniforms and flags
polticions need to get lives and get in the real world
But Adam, how else are they going to defend their salaries and budgets? Have you no idea how the great EU gravy train works? Tch, the youth of today, eh?
simon

Post by simon »

India now fighting the proposed ban by Germany stating"the swastika is a 5 thousand year old symbol...." fair play to 'em :D
Der Dachs mit Dudelsack
---------------
FJ 39-45
Fallschirmjaeger Ang'

Return to “Anything WWII!”