97. Jäger Division and Edelweiss on Bergmütze

Moderator: les hearn

der Blutiger Eimer

97. Jäger Division and Edelweiss on Bergmütze

Post by der Blutiger Eimer »

A couple months ago i bought a book called "Shadows of War," an album featuring photos of a vet named Wili Rose, who was with the 97. Jäger Division in russia. Most most of the photos are earlier in the campaign, and most of the troops are wearing bergmütze with the metal edelweiss badge on the side, some with the addition of a tiny white shield with the black feather which was the division's symbol. I didn't see any Jäger sleeve insignia, and i thought it was curious that they should be wearing bergmützen with edelweiss, which i thought was solely for Gebirgs units. any ideas?
Matthäus Klieber
97. Jäger-Division
71. Infanterie-Division
5. Gebirgsjäger-Division
T/5 Matthew Cleaver
165th Signal Photo Company
Gott Mit Uns
Hurra die Gams!
Heeresbergführer

Re: 97. Jäger Division and Edelweiss on Bergmütze

Post by Heeresbergführer »

Grüß Di' Matthäus,

I have the same book...an excellent one by the way.

As to your question about the Edelweiss and Jäger Insignia, if you look at the photos a little more carefully, you'll see that not everyone is wearing the Edelweiss on their caps...only a few. These Jägers are more than likely former Gebirgsjägers who were transferred into 97th Jäger Division. The reason you don't see any Jäger cap and sleeve insignia is because, as you stated, most of the photos are taken early in the Russian campaign. The Jäger Oakleaf insignia was not introduced until October 1942...so you don't see it being worn by the troops until early 1943 and later. Also, realize that both Gebirgsjägers and Jägers were light infantry units and were similarly organized, trained and were issued similar clothing. In the German army, the Jägers were trained for low mountain warfare (foothill regions), Gebirgsjägers for mountain warfare, and Hochgebirgsjägers for high mountain warfare.

Berg Heil und Horrido!

Patrick
Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”