Step-In M2 Sp.B Knochen'

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

Waffen

Step-In M2 Sp.B Knochen'

Post by Waffen »

Is such (M2 Step-In Splinter B) model some fantasy or was in use during WW2? I am not sure...

Danke kameraden

S.A.S.A.K.A.S.A.B.
Salacious Crumb

Re: Step-In M2 Sp.B Knochen'

Post by Salacious Crumb »

It's less than 100% acurate:

The print is good, but the shade of the print/material is to brown for the splitter step-in. You better take the early run types as they where more green and dye it with an extra shade green.

the first splitter step-ins where used in Kreta in may 1941
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
LAUF

Post by LAUF »

The step-in in splittermuster was a transitional model from 1941 to 1942, not many produced.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Waffen, if you can get hold of the book "German Paratroops" by Robert Kurtz, it has some good colour pictures of Splinter B smocks. Lots of variation in colours, shading and patterns. Check out the step in smock on page 13. :wink:

Knockensaks were mass produced by different suppliers using different Splinter B pattern variations. Have a quick search on this forum and you will find the discussions regarding Splinter B.

The picture looks like a Spearhead Militaria smock. I've got 2 of these, one aged and one un-aged. I've battled in them and posed in them at public events, they are holding together okay so far and look better than wearing the incorrect Splinter A "cheap" knockensaks.

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Waffen

Post by Waffen »

Thanks guys

I've never noticed such KS type on period photos

Well, I am gettin' tired of trying to find some +- correct Splitter-B M3 KS (dammit), and now I am thinking of ye old good green step-in model, just to stop my agony..

@Gary: Yep, it's Spearhead's KS. The dang thing is a little bit too brownish, isn't it?

S.A.S.A.K.A.S.A.B.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Waffen wrote:Thanks guys

I've never noticed such KS type on period photos

Well, I am gettin' tired of trying to find some +- correct Splitter-B M3 KS (dammit), and now I am thinking of ye old good green step-in model, just to stop my agony..

@Gary: Yep, it's Spearhead's KS. The dang thing is a little bit too brownish, isn't it?
I've not seen any original Knockensaks, I'm going by pictures in books. But from what I've seen, 1941-1943/44 brown is in the majority. The 1944 onward Knockensaks appear to be more green.

The Panther Store http://www.panther-store.cz/en Knockensak is highly spoken of, many say it is the best that money can buy today. Have you seen this?

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

but in 1941-42 the base of the Splittertarn was grünmeliert, so the step-in has to be more green than brown. In 1942 the smocks where already open and the step-in where old fassioned. They where sometimes cut open and altered by the Regimental Schneiderei...
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Waffen

Post by Waffen »

Jaws wrote:
I've not seen any original Knockensaks, I'm going by pictures in books. But from what I've seen, 1941-1943/44 brown is in the majority. The 1944 onward Knockensaks appear to be more green.

The Panther Store http://www.panther-store.cz/en Knockensak is highly spoken of, many say it is the best that money can buy today. Have you seen this?

Regards,

Gary.

Yep Gary, I've had found the very same Panther shop yesterday, and I do agree: IT IS the best M3 Knochen' I could find on the net 'till now

It's quite expensive, but what the heck; if I want higher quality - it will cost, of course..

I will order that beauty this week..

Best regards and thank you all 8)

S.A.S.A.K.A.S.A.B.
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Salacious Crumb wrote:but in 1941-42 the base of the Splittertarn was grünmeliert, so the step-in has to be more green than brown. In 1942 the smocks where already open and the step-in where old fassioned. They where sometimes cut open and altered by the Regimental Schneiderei...
That's actually not true. There are some tannish-backed 2nd pattern smocks on WAF.
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

Jaws wrote:..
Knockensaks were mass produced by different suppliers using different Splinter B pattern variations. Have a quick search on this forum and you will find the discussions regarding Splinter B...
If I may,
There are only two patterns for Splinter, the Heer and the Luftwaffe ones.
Regardless of the maker and some color variation the actual pattern itself is one and the same for all original smocks. What one may see (in originals) is a difference in the size of the pattern between makers.
To my knowledge only 2 manufacturers of repros have got the pattern correct, Panther store and G-Max. Panther store's pattern is the "correct" (i.e. conforms to the majority) size but is way too green and G-Max's is smaller than usual but the colors are spot on.
If one is going to order from Panther store make sure you ask them to make the smock about 10cm longer otherwise you will get an Fj smock in the length of a Lw. Field Division Jacket.
"Always keep your words soft and tender, one day you may have to eat them".

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”