Tilly-sur- Suelles 1944.

Moderator: Pirkka

Tychsen

Tilly-sur- Suelles 1944.

Post by Tychsen »

Published by Heimdal priced at 48 Euros this is a quality produced hard back which covers in some detail the battle for "Tilly" and the surrounding villages / locality.
The author Stephane Jacquet is the curator of the excellent museum in Tilly - (if you visit the village do not miss it) and his book is loaded with many excellent photographs ( colour and black and white) many of which show the village and surrounding areas as it is today.
Tilly changed hands 23 times and the destruction of the village was almost absolute and the civilian population suffered heavily.
The text is in both French and English 415 pages this is a really excellent book.

Add to this two other titles from Ian Daglish (Published by Pen and Sword).
"Operation Goodwood" and "Operation Epsom".

I did say in jest to the author that I really didn't need to buy another book on Normandy but I do take that back - these are top notch and if you have an interest in Normandy my advice is buy them you won't regret it.

The author has walked the battlefield and has flown it - the photographic coverage is excellent many of which "show N" to orientate the reader - the text whilst detailed is easy to follow , it reads well and gives a complete picture of what was going on.
The air reconn. photos taken over the battlefield really adds to the narrative the individual tank tracks mark the progress of the Allied advances and in fairness equal coverage is given to the German effort the author does guide you through the battle with an objective balance .

I have yet to read both books in full - but having spent time with them I would use a map of the region as well it allows you to sense more fully the big picture.

Ian also has another Normandy study - "Operation Bluecoat".

All can be had via Amazon uk.

Excellent .
Attachments
Save.JPG
Save.JPG (90.69 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
Save.JPG
Save.JPG (100.4 KiB) Viewed 3409 times
Last edited by Tychsen on Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tychsen

Re: Tilly-sur- Suelles 1944.

Post by Tychsen »

From "Amazon" via "Browns Books" this am - "Operation Bluecoat" the breakout from Normandy.
Normandy was a complex series of battles costly to all concerned which eroded the German position , delaying and destroying any potential counter attack , the initiative was never really in their hands save for that first bungled day the seeds of failure having been sewn by the divisions , command failures and compromises which Hitler had put in place.
Battles which German could not win and perhaps should never have fought.

These books give an account of three offensives , it is warts and all as it should be and it is worth recording that whilst the Germans fought hard British were their equal.
Attachments
Save0001.JPG
Save0001.JPG (104 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
Save0003.JPG
Save0003.JPG (121.88 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
Save0002.JPG
Save0002.JPG (128.12 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

A member of our group travelled back to Tilly with a few veterans of the battle in the 1990s as far as I know, including W-SS vets, I have met one vet that fought there and have his Personal Story witch is a great read!

Regards

Jonny
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

I was on that trip to Tilly too , it was with our friends in the SBG . What was the name of the vet you spoke to ? Maybe I know him ?
Nice post James , I must pick up a few of those books , they look great.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Justin all four are top notch but best to have a map on hand it lends a good overview of movements of both sides and it will allow one to appreciate the "big picture".
The authors use of air recon. photos which show the progress of tanks over farm land until they were "stopped" really brings home the nature of the conflict.
The German soldiers view of the King Tiger being "rammed" is worth reading ( "Goodwood").
The NCO who was in command was not experienced and had dreams of achieving a "High Award".
He got separated from his unit and was charging around lost , panic began to set in - he did not impress his more experienced crew .When the tank was rammed and they bailed out a Gunner ( KT) and a Sgt. from the Sherman confronted each other , each attempted to draw their side arms , both had lost them , so it was down to cross words and gestures ( handbags at 50 paces) before each decided to " G.T.F." out of there....sort of thing you could not plan if you tried.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

SchnellMeyer wrote:I was on that trip to Tilly too , it was with our friends in the SBG . What was the name of the vet you spoke to ? Maybe I know him ?
Nice post James , I must pick up a few of those books , they look great.

You do know him I am sure of that, I will not mention his name on the forum but here is the clue for you I am sure you will know who I mean, Malmedy, Tank Driver Mk 4.

Regards

Jonny
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Jonny , his name is no state secret .Manfred Thorn is well known to many pepole and is a good friend to the SBG .He has been over to England many times witht his wife Hazel who is also a friend of mine . I have known these people since the late 1980's .

re-enactment group
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

SchnellMeyer wrote:Jonny , his name is no state secret .Manfred Thorn is well known to many pepole and is a good friend to the SBG .He has been over to England many times witht his wife Hazel who is also a friend of mine . I have known these people since the late 1980's .

Well rather you said it and not me :wink:

I wouldn't have thought of his name being a state secret but after all I never asked his permission to talk on a Public Forum using his name...

But yes I have had the pleasure of meeting him and his wife on several occasions in the UK and Mainland Europe, and we still correspond she sent me some other nice bits to read a few months back about other Vets.

Regards

Jonny
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Well when I put up a post I do not post in riddles .There is no point only telling part of a good story . Manfred has already been featured in many books , such as " Their Honour Was Loyalty" by G.Williamson and the History of the 7Pz Kp LSSAH.
So I think enough has been said on this matter and lets get back to the topic here.

re-enactment group

Return to “Books, films & other media”