BDM Uniforms

Moderators: BDMhistorian, Wilder Feger

Steve Das Reich

BDM Uniforms

Post by Steve Das Reich »

I found this image while browsing for period posters

Some of our forum ladies might find it useful.

"These are all Bund deutscher Mädel (League of German Girls) uniforms.The first is the normal uniform. The second shows the coat. The third is the summer uniform for the Jungmädel, the group for girls 10-14 years old. The final one is the summer uniform for a leader of that group."

Copyright unknown, original image was a recruiting poster, no mentioned made on website.

Credit for this image to http://www.bytwerk.com/gpa/uniforms.htm

Steve
SS Unterscharfurer Stefan Klein
2Kp. SS Aufklärungs Abt. Das Reich
"Wir gehen voran"
http://www.wars.uk.net/

Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

this is a good link to a BDM site

http://www.bdmhistory.com/
Krupp

Post by Krupp »

Just curious about the women on the far right. She has what looks like a braided cord that is orange. Could that be a Whistle?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Yes..... Don't ask about the colour - could ba a Gau colour (matches the triangle on her shoulder) :wink:
Klara1889

BDM uniform

Post by Klara1889 »

Just added some pics of my BDM uniform in gallery "Klara1889" folder.
Karin
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

I keep getting hits on my website from this thread since John posted my link, so I figured I may as well pop my head in and add my two cents.

The image shows an overview of the different uniforms of the BDM.

The one on the far left is the general service uniform which consists of a dark blue skirt, white blouse with a black neckerchief and leather slide, the light brown / fawn jacket and the black beret. The beret wasn't actually that commonly worn.

The second shows the overcoat which you really don't see much. Actually, I have about four photos of them being worn and that's it - most books have this particular drawing of it or a black and white version of the same drawing.

The uniform to the right of that is the regular uniform for the Jungmaedel showing the blue skirt and white blouse. The only difference between the Jungmaedel uniform and that of the older girls is that the blouse has buttons that button into the skirt, whereas the skirt for older girls is worn with a belt. The reasoning behind this was that the young girls did not yet have real waists and a regular skirt would be "constricting". The Jungmaedel also had the brown short jacket and the overcoat. Both were worn with a black knit cap instead of the beret.

The image next to the Jungmaedel is the regular uniform for the BDM that was worn in summer (whenever it wasn't cool enough for the jacket to be worn). The lanyard around her neck is a leader's lanyard. The leadership lanyards came in assorted colors assording to rank. The one she is wearing is appears to either be red and white or solid red. Red and white is the rank of a Maedelschaftfuehrerin or Jungmaedelschaftfuehrerin, which is the lowest leadership rank in the BDM. Solid red is for Untergaufuehrerin or Jungmaedel Ringfuehrerin, which is a much higher rank.

The shoulder triangle is always black with white text.
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

BDMhistorian

welcome to the forum and glad you are getting hits from here.

ps i will get you linked to our site.
BDMhistorian

Post by BDMhistorian »

Thanks, John! :)

Return to “Female (civilian/military) Re-enacting”