question on gebirgs. and y straps

Moderator: les hearn

unsam

Re: question on gebirgs. and y straps

Post by unsam »

What document defines the wearing Y-straps gebirgsjager`s ? :?: Who knows where it is written ? :?: document title, document number. :?:
I want to find out definitively. :!:
Last edited by unsam on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halle

Post by Halle »

Thank you Papa , that has cleared up something that was bothering me for a while :D

Bergheil !
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
barnaclebill

Post by barnaclebill »

Holy necrothread Batman.....

But I am going to comment anyway... The piccy with the Gebs with the MG and Panzer, interesting they are also wearing low boots and Stahls as well as Y straps, guess you can always find a piccy to show just about anything you like.
Matt, 85th Gebirgsjager, part of the '39-45 Society'.
Goethe

Post by Goethe »

Out of the few hundred photos I have archived, I'd say about 4 at most had them wearing Y-Straps, one of which being improvised straps out of a breadbag strap. All the others where Ost Front.

I persuade guys in my unit to not wear them for most all events.
Halle

Post by Halle »

And , Herr Goethe , you are absolutely right , but I suppose if you end up in a predominantly infantry role , as most Jagers did , you will seek out more comfortable equipment . I have read that some Troops threw away their Bergschue during the winter months because the cleats and nails drew the cold into the feet .
Stosser

Post by Stosser »

Cleats and nails do conduct cold. However, leather does not. Cold is simply not going to penetrate the 3-4 layers of leather from the sole of the boot to the sole of the foot. Bergschuhe were worn with thick wool and hair insoles to provide additional warmth.
Objr. Ernst Stosser
Stab./GJR.100
US Rangers
California Historical Group
Halle

Post by Halle »

Herr Stosser ,
This is not my supposition , it is a veterans account :D

Bergheil Kamerad .
Ropes

Post by Ropes »

Stosser wrote:Cleats and nails do conduct cold. However, leather does not. Cold is simply not going to penetrate the 3-4 layers of leather from the sole of the boot to the sole of the foot. Bergschuhe were worn with thick wool and hair insoles to provide additional warmth.
I have friends who have reenacted in Russia and they said the cold does go straight through the cleats to your feet. When stood still they had to march on the spot to stop it happening.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Halle wrote:And , Herr Goethe , you are absolutely right , but I suppose if you end up in a predominantly infantry role , as most Jagers did , you will seek out more comfortable equipment . I have read that some Troops threw away their Bergschue during the winter months because the cleats and nails drew the cold into the feet .
I have used my Bergschue in the Finnish winter for the last 5 years and have not had a problem with the cold in my feet and the temp drops to -30c . The Finnish SS Veterans did say that on their Marching boots/ low boots they did remove the studs in the winter of 1941 to stop the cold .
ImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”