Re: Repro Bergmütze questions

Post by Heeresbergführer »

FtrPlt wrote:Image
Servus Bergkameraden,

Here are the measurements from my Early-war and Mid-war Bergmützen:

A. front height - Early BM: 10cm / Mid BM: 10.5cm
B1. rear height - Early BM: 8cm / Mid BM: 8.5cm
B2. side curtain height at the rear of the cap - Early BM: 6.5cm / Mid BM: 7cm
C. side curtain height at the start of the turndown - Early BM: 7cm / Mid BM: 7cm
D. front scallop height - Early BM: 4cm / Mid BM: 5cm
E. visor projection - Early BM: 6cm / Mid BM: 5.5cm

Also of note is the shape of the BM bill...a long crescent shape that goes halfway around the cap which gives it the downward slant.

Dort, wo der Adler haust!
Hauptmann u. Heeresbergführer "Papa" Kiser
Kompanie Chef
5. Kp./Hochgebirgsjäger Btl. 4

FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Grüß di Gebirglers ("Griaß di" fur unsere Kamaraden aus Österreich)
Patrick: Vielen Dank! I'll start to rebuild my data base of measurements. It would appear that the LB and GD43 Bergmützen are within the ranges you provided for the early and mid-war caps.

I'm not sure if these measurements varied with cap size? I suspect if the measurements remain constant, a smaller size would visually appear taller.

Pfiaddi!
gebirgsjaeger100

Post by gebirgsjaeger100 »

Well,...
why does Janke do a so low front profile??? The general quality of his caps is more than good and the quality of his BM also...
Could we then say that LB is the standart number 1 in wool and GD43 the canvas one?
Difficult :roll:
Hurra, die Gams!
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Servus Bergkamaraden,
I'll actually defer to Patrick's opinion but, as he's already stated, there is no perfect Bergmütze. The LB and GD versions looks pretty good though.

The Janke cap appears modelled on the pre-war Reichsheer cap. I've attempted to get a revised version via the US distributor. My latest BM is a Janke LW Bergmütze that was made using Heer field-grey Trikot fabric. Very well made but let down in a number of areas -- the side curtains and scallop are M43 sized (too short), no leather sweatband, no stiffener, and oval crown rather than teardrop. It also tapers at the sides. Basically it's a Janke M43 with a short visor. This company (again, my opinion) appears reluctant/unwilling to improve their designs, at least with regards to the BM and M43. Current M43 offerings are identical to the caps I purchased in 1991.

Lost Battalions appears to have done a major revision of their Bergmütze. Compare Stefans cap to the LB example shown in Patricks original comparison photos and the new cap appears greatly improved.

Can't comment on the GD cap (wool) as nobody has posted an image yet. The canvas versions looks a bit too tall but not overly so. The canvas version also appears to have the double-seam crown construction I'll point out in a moment -- promising development, if true.

The biggest omission on nearly all these caps has been (in my opinion) that the internal double-seam which attaches the crown to the body is absent. The repros tend to have their crowns attached in the same manner as the M43. See the following photo as illustration.
http://home.tiscali.nl/cb006008/compba.jpg

My old New Columbia cap is the only one I've had that was properly constructed. Regrettably that company went out of business nearly 20 years ago.
Obergefreiter Hansch

Post by Obergefreiter Hansch »

The GD43 poplin mütze does indeed have the correct crown construction with double seam and incidentally, my LB mütze also now has this second stitch line! :wink:

Gruß and Berg Heil, Gebirgsjågers!

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Heeresbergführer

Servus Gebirglers,

The second stitch lines on your caps look to be just added by the makers, but the seam is still stitched incorrectly for a Bergmütze.
Kompanie Chef

FtrPlt

Post by FtrPlt »

Obergefreiter Hansch wrote:The GD43 poplin mütze does indeed have the correct crown construction with double seam and incidentally, my LB mütze also now has this second stitch line!
If you look carefully where the "21cm" is in this photo, you can see the double-seam attaching the crown to the cap. It's on the inside of the cap. If you see a Bergmütze turned inside out, it becomes very clear. Image
Obergefreiter Hansch

The GD43 is certainly not built that way and you will see from my post above that I added the second stitch line on the LB mütze myself as a "simulation" only.

I don't think anyone does them right, but at least from the outside it will look OK until a vendor decides to do them properly.

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

Seeing as GD make each individual hat to order - shouldnt be too hard to send em the pics and ask em to do it :)
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Me-109 Jagdflieger

Post by Me-109 Jagdflieger »

Anyone have or seen one of the Burgmütze offered by Hessen Antique? Thinking of picking one of theirs up
http://www.hessenantique.com/WH_Gebirgs ... egh047.htm
thanks,
Jonathan
Der Jüngling steigt den Berg mit Qual
Die Aussicht ist ihm sehr egal
Hat das Röslein nur im Sinn
Bringt es seiner Liebsten hin
Obergefreiter Hansch

The Hessen ones look like Lubstein caps similar to the M43s sold bt Morigi- not sure who maes them but they don't look right in profile- more like a reichsheer model.

II./Geb.Jäg.Rgt.100.
Me-109 Jagdflieger

I am going to send them a E-mail and ask for some extra pics of their Burgmütze see if i can get a side profile to post on here
Jonathan
Heeresbergführer

Me-109 Jagdflieger wrote:Anyone have or seen one of the Burgmütze offered by Hessen Antique? Thinking of picking one of theirs up http://www.hessenantique.com/WH_Gebirgs ... egh047.htm
thanks, Jonathan
I've gotten a few caps from Rick at Hessen Antique. They are made by a wartime German hatmaker "EREL." The standard Feldgrau version that I have has a quilted top inside for extra warmth. It's within the realm of caps worn by Gebirgsjägers, but more on the looks of a M-43 cap. I wear mine without any national emblems to go hiking and skiing:

I also have a couple of special order caps from Rick that are Officer doeskin wool versions:

I'll try to take some shots of these caps in the next day or two.

Horrido!
Kompanie Chef

Me-109 Jagdflieger

Heeresbergführer wrote:
Me-109 Jagdflieger wrote:Anyone have or seen one of the Burgmütze offered by Hessen Antique? Thinking of picking one of theirs up http://www.hessenantique.com/WH_Gebirgs ... egh047.htm
thanks, Jonathan
I've gotten a few caps from Rick at Hessen Antique. They are made by a wartime German hatmaker "EREL." The standard Feldgrau version that I have has a quilted top inside for extra warmth. It's within the realm of caps worn by Gebirgsjägers, but more on the looks of a M-43 cap. I wear mine without any national emblems to go hiking and skiing:
I'll try to take some shots of these caps in the next day or two.
Horrido!
Hello,
Thank you for the information, the lack of a national emblem was one of the reasons I wanted one as I plan on also wearing it durring winter up at college where the temp is routinily -0 and can reach -30f with no problem, and for a living history impression. I also sent Hessen Antique a E-mail asking for a few extra pictures and will be looking forward to yours,
Thank you for your help,
Jonathan
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Intresting post

I have an original B-M too, which looks to be dated 1939,
strangely though it has a normal sized peak, and is a poison
green colour, although this is not Mountain Police-issue, maybe
it has weathered/discoloured with age. ????
(see-below)
Gebirg bergmutze.jpg
Gebirg bergmutze.jpg (30.85 KiB) Viewed 9454 times
(Front-view)
Gebirg 2.jpg
Gebirg 2.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 9456 times
(Side-view)
Gebirg 4.jpg
Gebirg 4.jpg (32.26 KiB) Viewed 9449 times
(Linning)

Cheers Peiper. :wink:

Return to “Gebirgsjaeger”