6th Panzer

Share info on real historical units

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Walther

6th Panzer

Post by Walther »

Evening all,

I'm thinking of possibly doing an early war 6th Panzer impression at some point this year (just the uniform, minus Panzers of course).

I've seen wartime pics of members with and without '6's' on their shoulder boards, just wondering if there is there a definative answer on this and does anyone have any good pics or examples that I might refer to should I need to go and get some embroidery done?

Thanks
Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

Hoffman Grink

Re: 6th Panzer

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Interesting
There isn't a definitive answer Neil - You've kinda answered it yourself.
IF you're gonna do 6 PzDiv I'd say DO wear the ciphers then people can identify what you're doing..... And as said there ARE pics showing ciphers worn throughout the War.

You obviously know that lower ranks would have had pink chainstitched numerals.... NCOs Silver metal and Officers Gilt metal. It's possible SNCOs had white metal and NCO's "ohne portapee" would still have chainstitched in waffenfarbe colour. As for style - German Numerals tended to be big rounded affairs..... I'll look through some books for possible pics.....

6 Panzer - interesting - the two yellow X's if I recall yes? Another Ostfront unit..... Didn't they end up in Budapest or summink?

Are you redoing your existing Panzer kit or doing a new one?
Walther

Post by Walther »

Cheers Paul,

It's the all new Panzer outfit for this season. I've made good the newbie cock up of buying an SS cut one and replaced with a nice new early war style wrap with the pink piping on the collar and to top it all off i've got the Schutzmütze (which as far as I can find out was replaced by the side cap early 1941).

So, i'm basing my impression on a Panzer unit active in the early part of the war (Poland, France etc), so all the kit fits into the timeframe.

This is the best reference I can find so far...

Picked this up off Wikipedia regarding where they ended up (they were transfered eventually to the Waffen SS, becoming the 6th SS Panzer Army)"

"After the Ardennes Offensive, the 6th SS Panzer Army was transferred to Hungary.

In March 1945, the 6th SS Panzer Army launched Operation Frühlingserwachen. This was the German offensive around Lake Balaton.

In April 1945, towards the end of the war, the 6th SS Panzer Army defended Vienna during the Soviets Vienna Offensive.

On 8 May 1945, the 6th SS Panzer Army was in Austria in the area between Vienna and Linz."

Neil.
Rittm.u.Kompanie-Chef
Großdeutschland Aufklärungs
---------------------------------------
"When Barbarossa commences, the world will hold its breath"

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Nice!
And the pic bore out my Big rounded chainstitched numerals (gee I'm glad I wasn't bullshitting that time!!!! :lol: )

Nice choice - You will be doing 11 Panzer Regiment. You know you could legitimately use a T34 as this unit don't you?

(A T-34 747(r) actually - I know a man who has one!!!!!) BIG Balkankreuz on the turret, wispy camo paint job......
karlotter68

Post by karlotter68 »

Hi Neil

My name is karl.

My uncle was an Unteroffizier in the 4th Pz Grens, (part of 6Pz Div) throughout most of the war - France 1940, Rusia 41, 42,43 and Poland 1944 KIA.
I have his medals, letters to his parents and lots of photos. There are some variations in uniforms and headwear as the war progressed, but none of the photos show the "6" on their shoulderboards.

If there is anything that I can help with re 6 Panzer, please let me know.

Regards

Return to “Units - history and information”