Peadot fabric?

Moderator: Feldjager

byely-volk!

Peadot fabric?

Post by byely-volk! »

Hi,
To cut a long story short, I was talking to a chap that runs a military surplus shop as a friend of mine was selling some kit to him! I asked if he stocked any third reich militaria or european repros, he said no then went on to say he was looking into it!

I told him about Richard Underwood and also Anthony from militaria net, the guys I have used for most of my kit in the past. After a chat I realised as did my friend that said shop owner was a tit!

Thought he knew it all and we knew nothing! I had a few bit's in my car so I pulled out my peadot jacket which was from Anthony and went on to say about the quality of the twill and how it's hard to find a good quality set of peadots.

In reply to this, he went on to say that my jacket was in fact wrong and that the first peadot was actually printed on a different fabric (not cotton twill) and not in 44 pattern or something along them lines!

Anyway I was wondering if someone could tell me if he is right and I am wrong, or if he was the tit he appeared to be.

Well, so much for a short story!

Thanks again guys, Ollie
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

The man is right and oh so wrong Mr byely-volk! there was a 43 patern pea dot uniform this was printed on a cotton drill the 44 pea dot was on herringbone drill .The 43 was more of a Ochre in colour the 44 is more of a Pinkish colour there is a diffrace with the dots but thats means I am to much of a spotter :shock:
ImageImageImageImageImage
byely-volk!

Post by byely-volk! »

I see, thanks for that mate.

I am right in thinking the peadot from Richard and Anthony is correct though, cut and fabric wise?

He went on about mine being wrong, but I couldn't seem to get it through that mine was a 44.

Nevermind, I got somewhere to sell my collection of unexploded bombs!

Cheers, Ollie
byely-volk!

Post by byely-volk! »

In one of my books Waffen-SS (Europa miliitaria no6) it goes on about the 43 drill uniform and then the later 44 herringbone twill so understood where he was coming from.

Just don't like someone saying my jacket is wrong!
Last edited by byely-volk! on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Mr byely-volk! the stuff you get from Richard is spot on for 44 dont know never seen what Anthonys looks like in the flesh so to speak but I would say that it is ok
Steinmetz

Post by Steinmetz »

I concur, Richards '44 dot is 'spot on' (pun intended) in HBT
SS-U.f.w. Steinmetz
SBG Mechanics Section - Keeping the Reich rolling since '33!
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

It's one of those topics that can run and run. Pick up any reference book and you'll see diferent variations on most things.. "Waffen-SS Uniforms in colour photographs" by Europa Miliatria shows a guy in totally contrasting tunic and pants. If you showed re-enactors the pants half would say its incorrect. If you showed re-enactors the tunic half would say its incorrect. There are just too many differences.
Richards and Anthonys are spot on but that doesn't mean that something that looks different is necessarily incorrect.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Mr dog green Yes I will go with what your saying repro wise I have only seen Richards first hand so I thought it unfair to comment on any other maker .that was my point
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

So going off topic a little :oops: i have just got myself a dot 44 jacket from R underwoods (the very last one he had in stock at detling) , i need to get hold of a pair of trousers as i had to use my parade trousers for use in combat doh ! .
Can i get any pair of dot 44 or do i need to go back to richard when he has got more trousers , back in stock ?
Do it matter if the patterns don't match top and bottom ? will this be acceptable within the SBG ?

mike
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Hennig wrote:Does it matter if the patterns don't match top and bottom ?
It shouldn't, trousers and jackets wear at differing rates, trousers get the hard end of wear and tear usually. You wouldn't get a full suit issued when your trousers wore out, just the pants. Chances are they wont be from the same print run or even the same maker.
As for 'will this be acceptable for SBG', ask them direct, only they can say.
Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Stigroadie wrote:
Hennig wrote:Does it matter if the patterns don't match top and bottom ?
It shouldn't, trousers and jackets wear at differing rates, trousers get the hard end of wear and tear usually. You wouldn't get a full suit issued when your trousers wore out, just the pants. Chances are they wont be from the same print run or even the same maker.
As for 'will this be acceptable for SBG', ask them direct, only they can say.
Many thanks for your reply , as to asking them i have asked a few members and they said that it best not to mix and match , not their exact words but you know what i am getting at .
But as you said , in time you would / will have to change a garment and to get it to match without buying another complete uniform would be unlikely .

mike
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Yes a matching set looks good but ! In real life camo will not be issued as a matching suit so you will have some differance in the colours of the suit thats a fact .And like the good sirs above said the jacket and trousers will wear at diffrent rates like it has on my pair from Richard
Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

I also dislike the RU print, i know it's correct and all, but as i'm the guy going to wear it, i also want to be able to like how it looks :)

So i'm still looking for a good print, that i can get in my own size...have already taken a looong time

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”