winter parka pics

Moderator: Feldjager

Brigardefuhrer

Re: winter parka pics

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Thanks,they were taken by our club chairman nearly twenty years ago at a private Russian front battle(the K98's have muzzle extentions so you could have them on shot gun certs)the last picture,I have a bandaged hand,my only 'wound' in re-enactment,recieved when our half track came to a sudden halt and the armoured door slammed shut,luckly I was wearing thick leather gloves and got away with bruised fingers.I was given the black wound badge,but I don't wear it as it was my own fault and should not have been so careless :lol: John
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Heinz O. Kaufmann

Post by Heinz O. Kaufmann »

I have founded the parka set quite warm during the winters, even on -30 celcius. It's great if you are stationary, but when you move, ah, it makes you sweat like a pig (attleast they did to me) I have the sturm jacket and chinese trousers.

Earlier this year I managed the winter training in t-shirt, sweater, tunic, great coat compination and I survived fine, even if there were -30 celcius also. Maybe I'm warm blooded :D

Btw. does anyone have any pics of the real "lighter" parkas with only a small padding, or pics of the non-reversible ones with silk/cotton lining? Does anyone make these on stock?
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

I've had my Panther-Store down to -20 C, while being outside and stationary. I wouldn't say I was overly warm, but I wasn't cold. Once you start moving however, it becomes clear they are very good insulators and you start to heat up like mad. I last all of half an hour in the feild with them on if im crawling/moving around.

I find layering a better, and probably more authentic way of keeping warm. Undershirt, sweater, feldbluse, and greatcoat if you have it, and a smock.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
feldman

Post by feldman »

GraemeMac wrote:I find layering a better, and probably more authentic way of keeping warm. Undershirt, sweater, feldbluse, and greatcoat if you have it, and a smock.
Yes, i use: Undershirt, shirt, sweater, feldbluse and parka, at the coldest moments.
Retired & Armed
Otto41

Post by Otto41 »

feldman wrote:
GraemeMac wrote:I find layering a better, and probably more authentic way of keeping warm. Undershirt, sweater, feldbluse, and greatcoat if you have it, and a smock.
Yes, i use: Undershirt, shirt, sweater, feldbluse and parka, at the coldest moments.

I agree with both of you. I usually go out in the field with service shirt, sweater and tunic, but since i still am cold with that combination in the winter months i decided to get a parka. I do have a great coat but I rather wear it just for walking out events anymore.

My main concern was that the parkas from sm wholesale are to thin in the wool an the outer shell is as thin as a t shirt. can any one verify if this is correct? its been a while since I've handled a original.
GraemeMac

Post by GraemeMac »

http://atthefront.com/historical_refere ... forms.html

The above is worth a read with regards to quality.
erikbozwo2 wrote: Pyotr, please don't take any advice from peiper.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

The SMW repros are about as close to original as you will get.
I have 3 parkas one SMW, one Hero Collection and one Chinese. When it gets cold I opt for the SMW.
The print is way better.
Don't forget to wear the padded trousers. If it is cold enough to issue parkas they issued the trousers too.
The only pics of parka only I remember are of Brits in captured jackets.
Otto41

Post by Otto41 »

Thanks for all the info, I am no expert on this subject so any information on parkas is greatly appreciated. I am thinking about picking up the book "Winter Uniforms of the German Army and Luftwaffe" to read up more on parkas.

I always thought the shell material would be similar material to a zeltbahn or smock?

Also I agree with wearing the winter trousers with the parka, as i have noticed usually officer and panzer crews are the only ones seen wearing the parka by itself.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Otto41 wrote: I always thought the shell material would be similar material to a zeltbahn or smock?
But it isn't. Damn those fiendish Boche.
Peter Bauer

Post by Peter Bauer »

Just to take part in the how it feels discussion...

In winter, when outside, you are not even supposed to feel warm like in the summer. The perfect temperature is when you feel slight chills going through your body all the time. This means that when you move, you don't sweat too much and freeze later. Feet & hands have to be warm though.

I've found parkas somewhat too warm. I have both Sturm and chinese made repros and both were too warm even in -30 to -35 degrees... perfect for just standing outside when you don't have to do anything.
feldman

Post by feldman »

parka-versions.jpg
parka-versions.jpg (187.79 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
yes, you are right Peter Bauer - the outside layers should be normal thin cotton / rayon whatever.. most earlier Chinese versions where way to thick. The parka/trousers is not suppose to "take care" of the cold for you, just add another layer for protection. Layering is the key word. Just add / remove a layer underneath so you wont get to cold / hot.

There was also manufactured a special extra layer for even more protection. I would like to get my hands on such a set, or perhaps make my own copy. Dont think anyone makes a repro of that. There is a debate about this one, so i wont say to much even though i have seen many originals on pictures.
extra-layer.jpg
extra-layer.jpg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
I have a non matching set consisting of splinter parka from some old Czech manufacturer which are no longer in buissness and field-grey pants from PANTHER-STORE.
splinter-parka.jpg
splinter-parka.jpg (33.29 KiB) Viewed 3710 times
I tried to get a copy of the book "Winter Uniforms of the German Army and Luftwaffe" this week, as a Christmas gift to myself, but the book store said is was out of stock :( So, if you are reading this Santa - PM me, and ill give you map directions..

Retired & Armed
Otto41

Post by Otto41 »

feldman wrote:
parka-versions.jpg
yes, you are right Peter Bauer - the outside layers should be normal thin cotton / rayon whatever.. most earlier Chinese versions where way to thick. The parka/trousers is not suppose to "take care" of the cold for you, just add another layer for protection. Layering is the key word. Just add / remove a layer underneath so you wont get to cold / hot.

There was also manufactured a special extra layer for even more protection. I would like to get my hands on such a set, or perhaps make my own copy. Dont think anyone makes a repro of that. There is a debate about this one, so i wont say to much even though i have seen many originals on pictures.
extra-layer.jpg
I have a non matching set consisting of splinter parka from some old Czech manufacturer which are no longer in buissness and field-grey pants from PANTHER-STORE.
splinter-parka.jpg
I tried to get a copy of the book "Winter Uniforms of the German Army and Luftwaffe" this week, as a Christmas gift to myself, but the book store said is was out of stock :( So, if you are reading this Santa - PM me, and ill give you map directions..

Yes i have seen several of these for sale, Here is the lower part of the set, not a bad price either...
http://www.germanmilitaria.com/Heer/photos/H068861.html
feldman

Post by feldman »

Yeah, i was looking for where i had seen them recently, it was at that page, thanks !

Good price..
Retired & Armed
Otto41

Post by Otto41 »

No problem they used to have the top part too but it sold. Let me know if you ever decide having one reproduced and how it goes.
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

With a nod of thanks to Lentz, some good pics of parkas here
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=15789
And not always worn with the padded trousers

Return to “Uniforms and Insignia”