33rd Waffen SS Charlemagne

Peiper

Re: 33rd Waffen SS Charlemagne

Post by Peiper »

sapper44 wrote:I have a couple of questions that I can't really find any answers to, so maybe you guys can help. I am still in the process of getting my act together and any help would be great.
1. What, if any, Heer specific items would someone from the LVF take with them when transfered to the 33rd?
2. Would the former LVF guy keep his Heer Soldbuch or been issued a new SS one?
3. Would they turn in their Heer tunics and been issued new SS ones or just been given the insignia to put on their old army tunics?
4. I have an M35 helmet that has a camo job done on it, would this be unusable doing 33rd?
5. From what I have read the LVF spent allot of time fighting Partisans did they get issued Anti-Partisan Badges or regular infantry assault badges?
6. On the WMA site the page about the 33rd states, " The divison was provided with left over German and Italian armament and provisions." Does this mean that they had access to italian camo, and Carcano rifles/Beretta MP38s?
Thanks;
Christian
Hi Christian, have a look at my website (the adi at the bottom), there is a list and pics of all equipment/uniforms which were
worn by the 33rd, also see the beginning of this thread and you will see the list that Cookie has posted, basically the
Charlemagne were only issued late War uniforms which included M42, M43 and M44, also Pea-Dot 44'ss camo's were worn,
no other camo items, as for helmets, no cam jobs only the M42.

The LVF when re-assigned to the 8th Sturmbrigade before being transferred to the 33rd were all fully equipped there
were no "issued Italian equipment" as far as iam aware, the Charlemagne was issued new equipment, as for Solbuch's it
was known for books to be overstamped?, i have seen one sort which was for a Wehrmacht Cossack who had been
transferred to the SS-Handschar but i must admit i have only seen SS issued types for the Charlemagne so far??

Hopefully Cookie will step in and fill in any blanks that i have overlooked :?:

Goodluck with your portrayment, Peiper
Otto Kohl

Post by Otto Kohl »

Ooo my God oo my God i have got some crazy shit for you guys! Here is some more photos of situation that i described before.

Once again the same situation in higher definition ( strange boots you can see there ) :

Little close up:

Note the Usha. with an empty collar tab. He is likely to be a member of the Catholic faction in Charlemagne who did not recognize the runic symbols and wore empty collar tabs !

Civilian with Stg.44:

Otto Weber

Post by Otto Weber »

Wow! Nice photos. I've seen several of them in one French book. Where did you get them?
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Pity you can't see the tricoleur shields to identify the Unit :?:
Otto Kohl

Post by Otto Kohl »

Well, unfortunately we cant see, but I met many times with the information that they are French.
Otto Weber

Post by Otto Weber »

These photos were published in Henri Mounine's book about battle of Kolberg. 3 of them, if my memory serves me.
sapper44

Post by sapper44 »

I just ordered "French Volunteers of the Waffen SS" by Richard Landwehr for $24. I have read both positive and negitive stories about his work, what do you guys think?
Christian
"Peace is an extension of war by political means."
- Robert Heinlein
Otto Weber

Post by Otto Weber »

sapper44 wrote:I just ordered "French Volunteers of the Waffen SS" by Richard Landwehr for $24. I have read both positive and negitive stories about his work, what do you guys think?
Christian
More negative than positive, I think. The best work on French volunteers of the Waffen-SS available in English is Robert Forbes book. But I think that Landwehr for 24$ is just ok.))
JDR

Post by JDR »

I found ashes of honour by christian de la mazière a good read
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I posted this last year but it was missed in the bun fight

André Bayle( b.1926), died near his hometown of Marseille on March 8.
He was the author of "Des Jeux olympiques à la Waffen SS", which recalls his war in the Sturmbrigade and the Division Charlemagne.
He was very much active until his death, in various veteran's' actvities.
He fought and was captured during the Charlemagne Division battles at Pomerania in 1945. Was sent to the hellish death camp at Tambov where most of the French captured by the Russians were held. Survived and was repatriated to France in the 50s.

This a link to his book: http://www.ladiffusiondulore.fr/souveni ... 20138.html
ImageImageImageImageImage
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

A couple ive knocked up today
SS Charl NCO pic 1.jpg
SS Charl NCO pic 1.jpg (60.08 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
SS Charl NCO pic 2.jpg
SS Charl NCO pic 2.jpg (58.99 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
SS Charl pic 4.jpg
SS Charl pic 4.jpg (48.29 KiB) Viewed 5644 times
Peiper :)
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Couple more

SS Charl pic 5.jpg
SS Charl pic 5.jpg (61.06 KiB) Viewed 5621 times
SS Charlemagne Grenadier 1945 (reverse).jpg
SS Charlemagne Grenadier 1945 (reverse).jpg (66.09 KiB) Viewed 5641 times

Peiper :)
Last edited by Peiper on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
the 4th reich

Post by the 4th reich »

Bloody hell Piper your injury healed up quick LOL :lol:
MANNERS COST NOTHING!!!!

the 4th reich

Post by the 4th reich »

Bloody hell did you rub your face? its seems to have traveled to your hand!! :lol:
MANNERS COST NOTHING!!!!

the 4th reich

Post by the 4th reich »

What happened to you post Pipes from this morning mentioning your comments on my highly correct smock from last year ???

With you well where the hell do i begin!!!

My post to you were a bit of a joke. I think its good you post up your pics, shows your very enthusiastic but bloody hell Pipes Instead of running to your pc and ordering the first piece of crap you can find, why not wait till you can get something thats spot on!! Have you not seen Dickies new Dot suit.
MANNERS COST NOTHING!!!!

Return to “Third Reich Foreign volunteers”