Michael Gaißmair winter training

European discussion. Post events here too.
Franz repper

Re: Michael Gaißmair winter training

Post by Franz repper »

well gents here is some reading for you http://cgsc.leavenworth.army.mil/carl/d ... esNo18.pdf
ImageImageImageImageImage
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

well thanks gents this one is almost full will put a kit list up later
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

A few things those how are new to the event need to know and when these rules are not followed life in the tent is very bad .
Order in tent

Tent should be occupied only after the fighting positions have been properly prepared and the individual foxholes around the tent have been dug.

Every man has his own place ordered for him inside the tent. The backbag will be used as a pillow and weapons will be placed either behind the head or outside the tent in temporary (and covered) weaponrack. Depending on the season, soldier can use spruce branches, overcoat or wool blanket as bedding.

During the rest men are allowed to take off their shoes and wet clothing. Readyness for combat is not to be hindered by this and in case of an alarm, men should take their gun, helmet, ammunition/magazines and boots with them and storm in to the fighting positions - even through under the hem of the tent. Only after reaching the fighting positions is he allowed to dress according to the needs of the situation. When exiting the tent the men has to have his weapon with him.

There is a firewatchman ordered for every tent. His job is to alarm the men in the tent, assisting the guards, heating the stove, watching and taking care of the drying clothes, taking care of the light inside the tent and looking after the men sleeping.
Firewatchman has his weapon within his reach. He has to stay alarmed all the time and listen to the sounds of the camping area. He has to be ready to start fighting from inside the tent if need arises.

Every man should take a shift as a firewatchman (with the exception of the NCO's and officers). 9 man sleeping in the tent, with 8 of them doing shifts during the 6 hour sleep means 45minute shifts, which are very doable. Usually the shifts start from the left side of the door and then go around clockwise until the last man on the right side of the door. The firewood is placed directly to the left side of the door (when watching from the outside), inside the tent. Also during winter the drinking water is placed inside the tent on the right side of the tent.

Shoes that need to be dried are placed around the stove. Wet clothing will be hung from sticks that are placed between the side poles and center pole of the tent. The place in sticks right next to the stove is reserved for the fire watchman so that he can quickly dry his clothes during his shift. Extra firewood will be placed outside the tent against one of the sides of the tent.

List of the shifts with names and times should be written and it should be placed in one of the loops in the tents roof, right above the door. Also, there should be one watch provided so that the firewatchman can check the time and wake the next shift in time. Usually the next man should be woken up around 10 minutes before his shift. The watchman has to make sure the next one gets up before he goes to bed (basicly waiting until the next guy has dressed up and sat down in front of the stove).

Oh, and one thing. Firewatchman shouldnt stay inside the tent for his whole shift, as sitting in warm tent is more difficult than standing outside. Also, while standing outside, the guard should keep listening and walking around the tent (50-100 meters away from the tent) just to make sure there won't be anyone there
glenn

Post by glenn »

Hello Franz&Co.

Once again, I will not be able to come because of my work. Swiss people are... anyway, I wish you have a fantastic event and good times. You have all my respect, the way Franz does the things is great and should be an example.

Take care all of you... around -30 degrees :oops: !!!
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

glenn wrote:Hello Franz&Co.

Once again, I will not be able to come because of my work. Swiss people are... anyway, I wish you have a fantastic event and good times. You have all my respect, the way Franz does the things is great and should be an example.

Take care all of you... around -30 degrees :oops: !!!
Kamerad you will be missed
Max

Post by Max »

Booked flight today for “Botha” and me, see you there. :)
1./SS-"Deutschland"
1./SS-Ers.Btl. "Deutschland"
A proud member of the Second Battle Group.
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

Max looking forward to seeing you guys again, So photos of the Original Nord training
28Wallonien

Post by 28Wallonien »

flights booked :D
"Qui s'y frotte s'y pique"
3./I. SS Freiwilligen Grenadier Regiment 69
28. SS Freiwilligen Panzergrenadier Division "Wallonien"
BedsnHerts

Post by BedsnHerts »

Crikey. I wish you chaps luck.

Finnish winters are COLD!!
dagda

Post by dagda »

it is the best gig there is!!
You're losing.you're losing, you're losing your vitamin c

Egyptian Kings packing their things!!

I keep this picture to keep my hate strong!

http://www.heavenandhell.org.uk

gebirgsjaeger100

Post by gebirgsjaeger100 »

Tickets booked from Barcelona (Karl Mond und Albert Schulz).
I think that the spanish team is going to be as follows
Max Heidenreich (Das Reich)
Peter Botha (Das Reich)
Karl Mond (GJR 100)
Albert Schulz (GJR 100)
Mikel Bastida (Kriegsberichter)
Can't wait for the dates to come!!!
Hurra, die Gams!
Come and visit us at http://gjr100.blogspot.com/
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I will great to see you guys again temp is -10c during the day up north they had -32c last night
28Wallonien

Post by 28Wallonien »

Franz repper wrote:I will great to see you guys again temp is -10c during the day up north they had -32c last night
:D :D :D
"Qui s'y frotte s'y pique"
3./I. SS Freiwilligen Grenadier Regiment 69
28. SS Freiwilligen Panzergrenadier Division "Wallonien"
Ewald Koch

Post by Ewald Koch »

If you haven't done it already, now it's about time to get your winter equipment together!

For Waffen-SS guys I do recomment that you get a "Kharkow parka" fur-lined anorak and warm padded trousers with it, for WH and WL a padded winter uniform is a good thing to have if temperatures stay in this level. Fur cap is also warmly recommended, plain side cap is a good way to freeze your brains!

And footwear: get proper winter boots! If you can find ex-DDR felt boots, go and buy them! Modern winter footwear is also approved if the boots are black and can be worn beneath snow trousers etc.
"Meine Ehre heißt Treue"

SS-Gebirgsjäger-Regiment 12
"Michael Gaißmair" re-enactors

Pies

Post by Pies »

We at Etulinja are trying to get some period skis, would be nice to do a ski patrol :D

Return to “European reenactment and events”