The last Battle on British soil (1940 )

General WWII and Reenactment Topics Only. Post anything else in Off Topic, please.
Franz repper

The last Battle on British soil (1940 )

Post by Franz repper »

Yep like it says have a look at the link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html
ImageImageImageImageImage
andy d

Re: The last Battle on British soil (1940 )

Post by andy d »

I used to win bets about the last battle on British soil in years gone by.
I understood that the last battle fought on British soil was at Ballinamuck (Co Longford, Ireland) on the 8/11/1798.
And before anyone says ' but that was in Ireland' - It is worth remembering that Ireland was regarded as British soil in both legal and social terms.
And now Franz goes and ruins it all for me.
I just hope none of the people that I won cash from, are reading this!
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

And re-enactors have been doing it right for years...a quick 'blatt' and then pile in the pub!(minus the real bullets of course.) :lol:
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
TacAide

Post by TacAide »

Another gem from PG - must pass this on to some of the lads in the allied group here who re-enact WW2 London Irish Rifles.
One of them is interviewed in the Paul Merton visit to Duncannon show in 2009.

Nothing like a few pints after a hard days campaigning! 8)
Sean

Post by Sean »

What an interesting story! Is it known whether or not any of the crew are still alive?

And I loved that post on the Mail's website:
How can it be the LAST battle if it occurred in 1940? The war continued until 1945!!!!
- Richard, Oxford, 21/8/2010 11:15
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Gott Mitt Uns' - Yeah mate, got mittens too
John Wilson

Post by John Wilson »

Graham's got a point.

If this plane had crashed today the troops would not have been allowd near it until a risk assesment had been done; they would not have been allowed to carry guns as they would not have been properly 'trained' , a police armed response team would have been summoned and arrived making alot of noise. They would have to surround the crew and shouted at them whilst pointing tazers at them from every possible angle and when the bomber crew had been captured (after they had stopped laughing) the crew would be offered a house and some money and been able to send child allowance back to their childred in Germany.

We have changed since the war.....sadly.
- Graham, Coventry, nice place but a shame about the cathedral.,

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z0xQsTtVRB
94-87 Ich bedauere nichts
57-93 Either put me in jail or kill me
TacAide

Post by TacAide »

andy d wrote:I used to win bets about the last battle on British soil in years gone by.
I understood that the last battle fought on British soil was at Ballinamuck (Co Longford, Ireland) on the 8/11/1798.
And before anyone says ' but that was in Ireland' - It is worth remembering that Ireland was regarded as British soil in both legal and social terms.
Hope you won't mind me pointing out, in the nicest way, that in 1798 these islands were still two separate kingdoms, The Kingdom of Great Britian and The Kingdom of Ireland.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland did not become a single kingdom until 1 January 1801, through the Act of Union, signed by George III in August 1800 to become effective on 1 January 1801. This was after the defeat of the United Irish Rebellion of 1798.

It was formed by the merger of the Kingdom of Great Britain (itself having been a merger of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland) and the Kingdom of Ireland, with Ireland being governed directly from Westminster through its Dublin Castle administration.

So, sorry but technically the Battle of Ballinamuck was not on British soil, but took place in the Kingdom of Ireland. Just hope your mates are not reading this as you MAY owe them a few bob.... :( :)
andy d

Post by andy d »

TacAide wrote:
andy d wrote:I used to win bets about the last battle on British soil in years gone by.
Hope you won't mind me pointing out, in the nicest way, that in 1798 these islands were still two separate kingdoms, The Kingdom of Great Britian and The Kingdom of Ireland.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland did not become a single kingdom until 1 January 1801, through the Act of Union, signed by George III in August 1800 to become effective on 1 January 1801. This was after the defeat of the United Irish Rebellion of 1798.

It was formed by the merger of the Kingdom of Great Britain (itself having been a merger of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland) and the Kingdom of Ireland, with Ireland being governed directly from Westminster through its Dublin Castle administration.

So, sorry but technically the Battle of Ballinamuck was not on British soil, but took place in the Kingdom of Ireland. Just hope your mates are not reading this as you MAY owe them a few bob.... :( :)

Ssshh,
it'll be our little secret

Return to “Anything WWII!”