FJ-Fighting knives

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

GRFJ

Re: FJ-Fighting knives

Post by GRFJ »

From an indirect veteran account (grandson of an FJR6 vet and very active member of FJR6 veteran Organization) I have heard that they were trained in marshal arts, namely Ju-Jutsu. If that was during basic training, or later on at regiment or battalion level I do not know. Unfortunately when I had the chance I never asked this question.
But it would make sense, if you're sent to jump behind the enemy lines chances for hand to hand combat are much higher and you'd be prepared for this probability.
"Always keep your words soft and tender, one day you may have to eat them".
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

GRFJ wrote:From an indirect veteran account (grandson of an FJR6 vet and very active member of FJR6 veteran Organization) I have heard that they were trained in marshal arts, namely Ju-Jutsu. If that was during basic training, or later on at regiment or battalion level I do not know. Unfortunately when I had the chance I never asked this question.
But it would make sense, if you're sent to jump behind the enemy lines chances for hand to hand combat are much higher and you'd be prepared for this probability.
Ive heard this??, apparantly the boxer Max Schmeling who had fought the American boxer
Joe Louis in 36 then later became a Fallschirm was asked this after the War, (he still remained
friends with Joe Louis after the War) anyway Schmeling was asked if he did any boxing while
serving with the German Army and replied "Some, but mostly we learnt the Oriental art of
Judo, basically Judo holds and throwing techniques"

Peiper
carentan

Post by carentan »

If anyone can post a pic of an FJ with a fighting knife please do so...I've looked through a few books and can't find any yet.
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
poteau rottenfurer

Post by poteau rottenfurer »

carentan wrote:
poteau rottenfurer wrote: The above is stuff you here reenactors spout to public
regards
dave g
TFH
Reenactor in the singular, I don't believe it is the concensus of all FJ re-enactors.
agree and you make that point better than me!

along with-"101st was the best A/B unit"
- " big red 1 fought the hardest battles as they were the first division"

etc,etc,etc

regards
dave g
TFH
carentan

Post by carentan »

I'm still looking for a pic, but the old hare Wolf has most of my FJ books at the moment.

I'll ask him about fighting knife but some details, though important to us, he didn't give a second thought to.

I sometimes think that maybe if you haven't got a certain bit of kit that means you don't need it, maybe back in the day they must of had a similar mindset, I dunno?
Hanging up my Knochensack for now, it's been a good war!
GRFJ

Post by GRFJ »

Looking through my photo archive I was able to find only one, here it is, from the Grand Sasso raid. Look at the MG gunner's belt
Attachments
FJ photo 106.jpg
FJ photo 106.jpg (32.87 KiB) Viewed 1757 times
"Always keep your words soft and tender, one day you may have to eat them".
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

carentan wrote:I'm still looking for a pic, but the old hare Wolf has most of my FJ books at the moment.

I'll ask him about fighting knife but some details, though important to us, he didn't give a second thought to.

I sometimes think that maybe if you haven't got a certain bit of kit that means you don't need it, maybe back in the day they must of had a similar mindset, I dunno?
Thanks for your efforts Carentan, i have been looking through my Fallschirm books but
as yet can't see anything?? iam going to search the web now, but it looks like you could
be right!

Regards Pipes

Return to “Fallschirmjaeger”