Replica kdf87e

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

Reich Crispies

Replica kdf87e

Post by Reich Crispies »

Me and the kdf at NEAM.
Still a lot left to do, one piece windows, trafficators to fit, Interior to re-upholster in leather, but getting there.
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
tc

Re: Replica kdf87e

Post by tc »

Very nice - congratulations.

tc
Army Group South
http://www.armygroupsouth.org
Salacious Crumb

Post by Salacious Crumb »

Yes, it's the Mad Max version of the beetle, like you've always sead it would be, when it was still in the workshop.
Congratulations with your job, it's a very nice vehicle Neil.
Member of
http://maa204.blogspot.com/
Kriegsmarine re-enactment group
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

Dont worry about leather! Its the peoples car!!! seriously tho KDF cars of the time just had Vinyl....

And when you do the one piece (cal look) windows, remove the door check staps (the metal tags that stop the door from opening all the way) cos they will break your window glass with the one piece windows rolled down,

The glue in weather seals are a bugger to fit, try and get the snap in ones.
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

thanks for the tip!
Fitting them over the winter along with a shed load of other bits.

In all the early examples I have seen (photos) the seats look like leather, but I guess could be ersatz.
With all the hammer they are going to get, I thought leather might be the best answer :D

Thanks also for the kind comments all. :wink:
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

I had one piece windows (cal look) on my 67 bug a few years back, not hard to do but take your time! You get what I mean about the windows and the door check straps? you can get "cal" straps that still hold the doors as you dont want them flapping about when they are open, the stock straps go into the door where your new one piece window glass will be when you close the door with the window down, hence the broken window!!!

where will you fit the semaphores? I love them, i remember the time I flicked them up for the MOT guy and he expected them to flash lol!!!
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
KDF

Post by KDF »

Hi,
Regarding seats they used both `cloth` cover and leather ( or so looking like leather/vinyl) covering, plus some had a sliding/folding table infront of the front passnger, first aid box in the back, rifle racks in the back etc. Infact you can put that much in you`d struggle to get your own kit in to.

Ummm. I may have to get one of these myself...:) Anyone know of one for sale...repro only thanks :)
Founder member of AFRA.
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

plus some had a sliding/folding table infront of the front passnger, first aid box in the back, rifle racks in the back etc
....as does mine (plus an MP40 passenger side for drivebys :D ). The map table was a bit of a git to sort out, but worth the effort.
The rifle rack, first aid kit and ammo box holder I scratchbuilt from the metal left over after installing the sunroof :wink:
GD,obergrenadier

Post by GD,obergrenadier »

Do you know if all of them came with sunroofs?.I was thinking of doing this myself,however I wasn't sure how,Ever think of doing a blow by blow acount of the work you did? :D (with pictures of course)Dieter
helga

Post by helga »

From info available, only the type 87e (4x4) came with sunroof.
The type 82e (2 wheel drive) didnt, but the civilian type 60 had it as a factory fitted option.

Hope this helps
People who think they know everything only infuriate those of us who do
Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, only she did it backwards and in high heels.......

F.R.A.U. Females Re-enacting Axis Units

Return to “Vehicles”