Field Division Tunic

Moderators: carentan, paulmfjr2

SplinterB

Re: Field Division Tunic

Post by SplinterB »

ha ha yes exactly any thing but elite, infact they where noted as being awful! :)

I personaly would'nt use a Tulrock for field division, go for the Flieger (with Green Tabs ;) )

What sort of a budget are you working on?

Also remember very very important, Brown leather work for your webbing :)
Hannibal Brooks

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

Here's a link that you might find of interest, showing basic info on the piping used on field division collar patches: http://wdienstgrade.tripod.com/luwa-farb.htm
Not sure if FD infantry had piping on theirs, but everyone else seemed to.
BKommando

Post by BKommando »

thanks lads,

nice link hannibal. it's a facinating impression, surprising its not more popular, or maybe it is and i haven't just seen them.

Splinter B, i'll take your advice, flieger it is :-)
Budget isn't a problem thankfully. I'm looking forward to learning more and getting the LWFD impression out there :-)

Cornelius
mauser98

Post by mauser98 »

I do Field division here in the U.S. and it's a very cool kit. It's also a good fit for us older reenactors...LOL
We use a variety of fliegerbluses: Janke, SMWholsale and Sturm. Janke is awesome but cost prohibitive. SMWholsale is excellent with his imported German wool but also expensive. Sturm is a good uniform and most of our members have them.
I would recommend high quality insignia. For those in out group who choose to wear collar tabs, we purchase Janke made ones through a dealer here in the States. They are the correct color green and we also buy his shoulderboards. Definately better then the Sturn ones which are too dark green. Late war FD, if they even had collar tabs, wear the generic green tabs with no piping.
We have no Officers, only an NCO for 17 members, so you 'll have to research the officer insignia they offer.
Panther has the best camo jacket IMHO. I would purchase his. We formed our unit before panther had his available and went with ATF Camo FD jackets, which we felt were the best ones availalbe at the time. They have their faults but are still a good jacket once washed a few times and left out to fade in the sun a bit. As much as I'd love to pick up a Panther one, for unit integrity and added cost we decided to stay with ATF.
What is great about FD is that you can mix & match both Luft & Heer kit or just stick with Luft. I personally prefer the Luft impression. We portray the 17th FD for West Front, 20th FD for Italy and the 12th FD for Russian Front events.
We allow each member to personalize his kit as he pleases with their helmets and gear. We only require a fliegerbluse, fieldcap, belt buckle & camo jacket to be strictly Luftwaffe.
Hope this helps,
Jim
mauser98
BKommando

Post by BKommando »

Hi Jim

that's brilliant. Thanks for all the info - very helpful. I must admit i do find the Luftwaffe kit very nice. It's great that it can be mixed also :-)
I will go for the Panther camo, i want to buy once, hence my coming here for advice. i'm glad i did now :-)

Any books you'd recommend?

A quick question for you, for the Italian front, the FD wore the LW tropical uniform? This i very much like too.

Thanks again
Cornelius
Hannibal Brooks

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

The 19th and 20th Field Divs fought in Italy, but after they were taken over by the army - So a lot of their kit would probably be of army origin by then. The majority of the 20th were converted to bicycle infantry (with army cavalry ranks and (yellow) waffenfarbe from July 44 - assuming it was issued). The 11th were in Greece and definitely wore luftwaffe tropical uniforms.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Hannibal Brooks wrote:Peiper, I think you'll find that they do make them:
http://www.panther-store.cz/en/catalog/ ... background

http://www.panther-store.cz/en/catalog/ ... background

I have one of the dark background jackets - a great piece of kit.
Thanks for the heads up Hannibal :D
I can see them now with this new link, the other link you posted
to the panther store before only showed the Para knockensack ??

The colours with the panther store jacket do look good, although
Lyndon used to do them this shade, i had a knockensack from him
in this colour splinter B, now he seems to do it with the brown
background which im not keen on myself, but it appears the panther
store jacket (going from pics) are spot on

Regards Peiper
mark bogers

Post by mark bogers »

Dear Bkommando,

I've one new Panter-Store Luftwaffe splinter B jacket in stock, which I don't use anymore. (Never used)

You can send me an PM if you're interested.

Cheers! :)

PS: Use black leather equipment for your webbing if you choose late-war impression
Karl Fliege, kanonier der Deutsche Luftwaffe am Einsatzhafen Woensdrecht, Flakstelle Buitendreef 3./Lei. Flak-Abt. 668
352nd

Post by 352nd »

If you are portraying an officer in a late war Heer controlled Field Division formation, the uniform you need is a standard Heer officer uniform with a Splinter B tunic. When the Field Divisions were taken over by the Heer in 1943, the Luftwaffe withdrew all its officers and valuable personnel from the formations and the Heer replaced them with standard army officers. Take this photograph of a late war FD officer as an example.

If you are portraying a pre-Heer takeover, then as previously stated, you need a fliegerblouse. Collar tabs in my research seem to differ depending on unit and where the certain officer came from. When the divisions were formed, surplus officers from across the Luftwaffe were thrown into these formation and I've seen a few different colour collar patches being worn by Luftwaffe FD officers. The norm is the green tabs, like the infantrymen wore but I have also seen many wearing yellow pilot/FJ tabs and some wearing red flak/artillery tabs. As I say, when the Heer took over, these officers were held by the Luftwaffe and the Heer put its own officers into these units, so it is unlikely to see Luftwaffe officers in these formations post 1943.

Field Division is a bit of a minefield of different kits at different points of time. I'm interested deeply in the Field Divisions and have a Luftwaffe controlled and Heer controlled impression, though it rarely comes out as I don't belong to any group for Luftwaffe FD so apart from the odd show per year, it sits in the wardrobe which is a bit of a shame.

Anyway hope that helps
Martin
Stabsgefreiter Martin Hetch-2nd Panzer Aufklärungs Abteilung, Grossdeutschland.

Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

I've been a great fan of the LW FD for a long time.They are special, but without that tiresome 'elite' label. And they uniform and equipment is an interesting change from what is normally seen.

In that particular picture. Is it me, or is the officer wearing generic backed enlisted rank collar litzen? If it's the late war woven officers collar tabs, then I'm wondering which waffenfarbe he's sporting?
352nd

Post by 352nd »

You might be right Mikkel, its hard to tell either way. I always thought it was the silver gilt collar tabs but looking again I'm unsure. Unsure about his Waffenfarbe, looks pretty dark, maybe dark green, blue or black. I'm unsure about the selection of officers for these divisions once the Army took over. I'd say they'd probably be surplus officers, who's previous units were disbanded or destroyed, so could be a possibility that this man was transferred in from a previous unit and retained his collar tabs of his previous unit.

I'd say this photo is taken in Normandy, so I'd say he's probably from either the 16th, 17th or 18th Field Division.

VonSchnitzel

Post by VonSchnitzel »

This looks to be a new one in the Panther Store

http://www.panther-store.cz/en/catalog/ ... -zumpftarn

Would that be better to get than the Light and Dark Green ones in the Panther Store?

Im looking to do FD 1942 - 43 only
Western Australia's Only WW2 Reenacting Group
World War 2 Forces WA
http://www.ww2forceswa.com

Ramcke Brigade Afrika
43rd Sturm Pioniers
18th Luftwaffe Field Division
German Combat Medic
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

No - its a jump smock - so not for feild div use (although yes there was bound to be somebody)

And its late war cammo.

Its just been discussed on another thread wether this cammo pattern was issued in FD jacket form

the consensus seems to be - Possibly but not in any numbers and very late on.

So you want the Splinter B FD jacket (shade choice pretty irelavent)
Gliderinf / Luftlande
352nd

Post by 352nd »

If you want an FD smock, especially if you are doing the Luftwaffe controlled period, Splinter B is the only option. Not sure who is making them nowdays. Mine is a Spearhead repro made about 5 years ago. I believe Barry Lyndon was making them but I don't know if he still is.

Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Barry Lyndon is Spearhead.
He only has medium and small listed, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-German-Lu ... 27ba844f9e

Return to “Luftwaffe, HG, Flak, FD”