Guys....

Without blow smoke.... etc

101st 506 et al

Thunder from Heaven co uk
Gliderinf

Re: US Paratrooper, Normandy 1944, photo vignette

Post by Gliderinf »

"All colour webbing was used, it was 1944 afterall"

I think youll find that folks who have been doing US for some time will know which items came in when and for which units.

so "its 1944 after all" does not wash.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

LAH650 wrote:Guys....

Without blow smoke.... etc

101st 506 et al

Thunder from Heaven co uk

Exactly - if you wanna do 506th - do it properly - join Thunder from Heaven

Dont just recycle the same old bollocks again on yer own. And give the same lame old arguments for your airborne wrongness.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Gliderinf wrote:All the usual reenactorisms like every new 506th impression. (and most old ones too)

Garand would be better than thompson (way over represented)
5 cell pouch sideways ( waaaaaay over represented )
flags not worn by 101st till market garden
OD7 shovel cover should be OD3 or more common OD3 with OD7 edges
Gloves - overrepresented after jump mostly gone
Dangly chin cup - over represented after jump
Gas bag - dumped after jump
Scarf - way over represented
Why have you got a 45 - not issue unless job specific. Yet everybody has to have one. If your doing North Africa then yes pistols are issue - but Normandy etc they are not.
spade too big - why do 506th like every other person who does all the above mistakes ?
Why dangly pouch on right shoulder - theres more practical places for it
NCO stripe - as a corporal your probably not actually leading anything (not %100 sure on the rule, but its not all officers and all NCOs its just those leading a formation.
Pants obviously.
extra pocket only in small numbers in specific unit - Waaaaaaaay over represented

One good point - no rope (again generally dumped after jump, and way over represented.)
Cheers Gilderinf
I agree with almost everything, as for the Thompson you are right, couldnt get hold of a Garand,
only repros and imo they look shite, rather have a deact, as i say this is my first "unveiling" and
obviously need some tweeks here and there, i kicked myself about the arm-flag, i meant to unpick it
but clean forgot, it was only when i shoved everything on (doh :oops: ) i knew i would get picked
up on that one and i agree about dumping half the equipment but this was supposed to be a "just
landed pic" if i reenacted a US Para in a battle i wouldn't wear half this stuff lol, thanks for your
input

Regards Peiper
Jugend Repper

Post by Jugend Repper »

Nice start there mate.

Im not a fan on OD7 but hey It was used by the airborne in normandy

This photo shows Lt. R.Parsons (EXO E/502) and Cpt. W.Boltan (CO D/502) in Normandy.
You can clearly see the OD7 Shovel Cover and the OD7 Compass pouch.
Also notice the un-reinforced M42 Parsons' wearing.

See OD7 In all of the photos and OD7 was already being made in 42-43 Still its just better to only use OD3 dont get in to many fights.
Wenn ich dumm bin, lassen sie's micht entgelten;
wenn ich recht hab, wollen sie mich schelten. Goethe
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Cheers Jugend :wink:
So i'll replace the entrenching cover, what else, the rest is all tan/ OD-3, any other pointers??

Regards Pipes
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

you know what........ i see a lot of criticism here on your impression but you are trying to do your best and i certainly wish you well and keep reinventing the wheel and you will get there keep the chin up regards mairtin
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

Pipes if you are doing 506PIR then you'll know this well known pic but three of the group here (including Guth) are still wearing the M5 gasmask.
101.png
101.png (449.01 KiB) Viewed 6820 times
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Cheers for the comments Mairtin and Westfront, thing is you get people ripping holes in things but obviously these people arent as well read as they think they are??, all the things that were commented about apart from the armflag and trousers which i knew about when i saw the pics lol (thanks Stig :D ) all the other comments are about nothing, because this equipment was worn, ive seen the pics to prove it lol, anyway am changing to 82nd i reckon as this portrayment of the 101st has been done to death now lol, watch this space :D
Regards to everybody, Peiper
Last edited by Peiper on Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

your welcome its your money and spend as you please if others have problems who cares really, after all they wear reproduction gear which isnt ww2 regardless as its reproduction at least you have tried to source genuine ww2,,, its horses for courses and do what makes you happy ....... this is meant to be fun and its easy to deviate from that.
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
West-Front

Post by West-Front »

504PIR may have been known as "devils in baggy pants" but the 101st wasn't far behind pipes :wink:
untitled.png
untitled.png (286.36 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
untitled2.png
untitled2.png (467.56 KiB) Viewed 6781 times
poteau rottenfurer

Post by poteau rottenfurer »

Peiper wrote:Cheers for the comments Mairtin and Westfront, thing is you get people ripping holes in things but obviously these people arent as well read as they think they are??, all the things that were commented about apart from the armflag and trousers which i knew about when i saw the pics lol (thanks Stig :D ) all the other comments are about nothing, because this equipment was worn, ive seen the pics to prove it lol, anyway am changing to 82nd i reckon as this portrayment of the 101st has been done to death now lol, watch this space :D
pipes
you can do what you want ,its your money,but to offer you a constructive criticism from someone who would hope to consider themselves to know a bit about the subject;

in the main your impression/reconstruction looks like a reconstruction of an Airborne reenactor
some of the main points discussed;
OD7( dark green) shovel covers- yes seen in use with the A/B as much as ground troops-however in the main ,of 6600 101st troops the predominant shovel cover is OD3 (tan)-also seen T handle shovels in small numbers

Gasmask bags- most photos show them missing post d-day-seen on some of the troops parading in Carentan on June 12th/13th and on 502 PIR troops moving though St Marie du Mont on D+1
Some units seen with them through the war up to Alsace/ BITCH BULGE such as 502 PIR-also used in Op Market Garden by both US A/B units
But in general-ditched as reported by a lot of veterans

Helmet ID markings i.e playing card symbols- individually applied or applied by 1 or 2 guys in a unit- Not ever seen a pic of a 506 spade that big- only unit with markings nearing that size would be 327th/401st GIR/B

Wearing of 5 cell thompson pouches on m36 suspenders- only seen 1 pic and that was of 1 guy in the 3/502 at Greenham Common pre- jump-so not really representative

Are you wearing a rigger pouch high up on your right shoulder? not seen that at all for someone armed with a Thompson-rigger pouches(actually USAAF pouches) are seen on m36 suspenders,but not that high
Gloves- seen some being worn-50/50 in some pictures-but not bright yellow

basically- we have had alot of guys looking like you in kit wanting to join,with the Thompson aswell, and when we start pointing them in the correct direction,we dont hear from them again,which is fine with us as 101st airborne is ;
1 so overdone
2.so badly done
3.so easily researchable-i would point you back to your books to look for more "norms" than airbore`nisms
4.deserves to portaryed accurately as any other unit

Alot of guys criticise BOB-well i`ll tell you what-Id rather see a unit of 101st dressed exactly in what you see on film than see some of the shite you see at shows around the country

If I can answer any questions or give pointers for your change to 82nd please ask-theres things to avoid that reenactors repeat again and again for that unit

Finaly -good effort for a firts time try at A/B

regards
Dave G
Uniform/Kit advisor for TFH
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

poteau rottenfurer wrote:
Peiper wrote:Cheers for the comments Mairtin and Westfront, thing is you get people ripping holes in things but obviously these people arent as well read as they think they are??, all the things that were commented about apart from the armflag and trousers which i knew about when i saw the pics lol (thanks Stig :D ) all the other comments are about nothing, because this equipment was worn, ive seen the pics to prove it lol, anyway am changing to 82nd i reckon as this portrayment of the 101st has been done to death now lol, watch this space :D
pipes
you can do what you want ,its your money,but to offer you a constructive criticism from someone who would hope to consider themselves to know a bit about the subject;

in the main your impression/reconstruction looks like a reconstruction of an Airborne reenactor
some of the main points discussed;
OD7( dark green) shovel covers- yes seen in use with the A/B as much as ground troops-however in the main ,of 6600 101st troops the predominant shovel cover is OD3 (tan)-also seen T handle shovels in small numbers

Gasmask bags- most photos show them missing post d-day-seen on some of the troops parading in Carentan on June 12th/13th and on 502 PIR troops moving though St Marie du Mont on D+1
Some units seen with them through the war up to Alsace/ BITCH BULGE such as 502 PIR-also used in Op Market Garden by both US A/B units
But in general-ditched as reported by a lot of veterans

Helmet ID markings i.e playing card symbols- individually applied or applied by 1 or 2 guys in a unit- Not ever seen a pic of a 506 spade that big- only unit with markings nearing that size would be 327th/401st GIR/B

Wearing of 5 cell thompson pouches on m36 suspenders- only seen 1 pic and that was of 1 guy in the 3/502 at Greenham Common pre- jump-so not really representative

Are you wearing a rigger pouch high up on your right shoulder? not seen that at all for someone armed with a Thompson-rigger pouches(actually USAAF pouches) are seen on m36 suspenders,but not that high
Gloves- seen some being worn-50/50 in some pictures-but not bright yellow

basically- we have had alot of guys looking like you in kit wanting to join,with the Thompson aswell, and when we start pointing them in the correct direction,we dont hear from them again,which is fine with us as 101st airborne is ;
1 so overdone
2.so badly done
3.so easily researchable-i would point you back to your books to look for more "norms" than airbore`nisms
4.deserves to portaryed accurately as any other unit

Alot of guys criticise BOB-well i`ll tell you what-Id rather see a unit of 101st dressed exactly in what you see on film than see some of the shite you see at shows around the country

If I can answer any questions or give pointers for your change to 82nd please ask-theres things to avoid that reenactors repeat again and again for that unit

Finaly -good effort for a firts time try at A/B

regards
Dave G
Uniform/Kit advisor for TFH
Cheers Dave :D

All constructive critism is taken aboard, this will all be put right (see updated pics coming shortly), its
just the rude way some people put things across which gets my back up lol (not you of course), this
portrayal was put together a bit at a time so not rushed and is an "extra" portrayal which basicaly
gave me something to do lol, but yes alot of things you said i agree with and will be put right, thanks
for the advice

Regards Pipes :wink:
Zoepf

Post by Zoepf »

So who's playing as Wild Bill Guarnere?
Jugend Repper

Post by Jugend Repper »

Zoepf wrote:So who's playing as Wild Bill Guarnere?
think winters or guth is the one most want to be
Wenn ich dumm bin, lassen sie's micht entgelten;
wenn ich recht hab, wollen sie mich schelten. Goethe

Return to “Photos”