Photoshoot: Algerian War 1955-56

The place to display all those event photos you have

Moderator: Richk98

Cookie

Photoshoot: Algerian War 1955-56

Post by Cookie »

Hi all,

The following pictures are from a photoshoot held yesterday on a farm in Cambridgeshire, UK. Depicted are French paratroopers of Marcel Bigeard's 3rd Colonial Parachute Regiment in Kabylie, Algeria, during the winter of December 1955 to March 1956. They are conducting a combat sweep in search of ALN fighters.

3eme Regiment Parachutiste Coloniale, Kabylie, Algeria, 1955-56

Copyright SOLAIRE 2011

Photos by Emma Hills.

Thanks to skot & Ted for their continued involvement.

Mark A - AFRA
Cookie

Re: Photoshoot: Algerian War 1955-56

Post by Cookie »

Mark A - AFRA
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Formidable mes amis :D

Pipes
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

I moved it here as they are to good to be lost in off topic
ImageImageImageImageImage
sapper44

Post by sapper44 »

Looking really good guys!
"Peace is an extension of war by political means."
- Robert Heinlein
Hannibal Brooks

Post by Hannibal Brooks »

Good stuff cookie - brings back memories of the Dien Bien Phu shoot a couple of years ago :)
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Cheers guys, very much appreciated!

David, it's a shame you 'retired' after Dien Bien Phu. There are plenty more battles to fight...

We're returning to Indochina with the next photoshoot in Spring 2012...
Mark A - AFRA
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

great shots!

are the uniforms the same colours & camo as the camo zeltbahn I got / brown& green stripes on sand coloured base?
so got some colour pics aswell?
regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
dog green 1

Post by dog green 1 »

Great photoshoot as always guys. Always look forward to seeing what you've been up to. Be sure to let us know of future projects.

Thanks to Joel for moving it as I would have missed it otherwise.
"To a New Yorker like you a Hero is some sort of wierd sandwich"

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

You bastards are booked for Bovington next year - RIGHT? RIGHT! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Paul, I wish...

Koobleguy, The basic 'Lizard' pattern of camouflage that was used in the zeltbahns was also employed throughout France's field uniforms, although it different greatly throughout each pattern of uniform (and sometimes within each pattern there would be variations in colour, material and printing). The pattern used on the zeltbahns was exclusive to them and not, to my knowledge, officially used in making clothing. I haven't used any colour photos as the range of reproduction and original uniforms and caps on show is such that it is a real riot of colours, some of which are not historically accurate if shown in full colour.

Thanks for everyones kind words!
Mark A - AFRA
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Mark A - AFRA
grenmartens

Post by grenmartens »

Great stuff - the 50's and 60's, end of european colonialism, conflicts that took place in the margins of the 'cold war' provide an interesting and diverse field of opportunity for reenactors (or whatever we choose to call ourselves!) - very well done guys.

I had an uncle, sadly passed on many years ago, who served in Algeria with the 13e DBLE. I remember listening to some of his stories (no doubt with a few 'tall tales' included) as a boy and being determined to join the FFL as soon as I was old enough - never did, although a mate and I did get as far as Paris in 1981 whilst on leave from the British Army but we both bottled it, got hammered on Pastis, 'lost'(!) all our money and had to hitch-hike back to Calais where we managed to beg our way onto a passenger ferry to Dover -try doing that these days!!
koobleguy

Post by koobleguy »

Cookie wrote:Paul, I wish...

Koobleguy, The basic 'Lizard' pattern of camouflage that was used in the zeltbahns was also employed throughout France's field uniforms, although it different greatly throughout each pattern of uniform (and sometimes within each pattern there would be variations in colour, material and printing). The pattern used on the zeltbahns was exclusive to them and not, to my knowledge, officially used in making clothing. I haven't used any colour photos as the range of reproduction and original uniforms and caps on show is such that it is a real riot of colours, some of which are not historically accurate if shown in full colour.

Thanks for everyones kind words!
Thanks, very informative! just knew this as I was told "french légion étrangère" pattern,
got 4 of these a while ago and never knew that much about them

regards, koobleguy

always looking for parts, pictures etc for VW Kübelwagen type 82 Schwimmwagen type 166 BMW R75
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Yeah, it's an area of history I just keep going back to. WWII has just lost all it's appeal for me. I think it has hit saturation point and there is no challenge left in it. With a few notable exceptions French military history post 1945 is just not covered in the English language. I have had to hunt down books, photos and items and it has proven very much more difficult than for WWII. I think this is what makes it so interesting for me.

I was also suprised to read just how little Islam featured in the Algerian war, and how plain old nationalism was the driving force. Not like today in the near and middle east where it seems to be suggested as the cause for pretty much any trouble.

We'll be turning our attention back on the legion at some point in the near future. Probably Indochina, probably Dien Bien Phu (Again!).
Mark A - AFRA

Return to “Photos”