The Kriegsmarine last Patrol ? A Trip To S.Ireland 19.1.46.

U-boot, German Navy, Italian navy.

Moderator: pzrwest

SchnellMeyer

The Kriegsmarine last Patrol ? A Trip To S.Ireland 19.1.46.

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Here is a very interesting incident that I did some research on a few years ago , I hope you will enjoy my report and the photos .
Attachments
IMG1.jpg
IMG1.jpg (110.29 KiB) Viewed 12354 times
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 12352 times
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg (54.41 KiB) Viewed 12353 times
Last edited by SchnellMeyer on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
JB--06

Re: The Kreigsmarine last Patrol ? A Trip To S.Ireland 19.1.46.

Post by JB--06 »

Looks good Justin....
Pm Sent

Jonny
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

My good and dear SchnellMeyer It looks very good sadly the TXT dont come out to well for my old eyes
ImageImageImageImageImage
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

When I get time guys i will clear up the text .Sorry about that , please bear with me for the moment .

re-enactment group
Ted

Post by Ted »

great articles as allways oh hallowed one ! keep em coming :wink:
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Justin in 1946 the Kriegsmarine no longer existed , so there is no question of it being a patrol.
"Kriegsmarine" is not spelt "Kreigsmarine" a common error.
BTW Nice photos and article , did you write the article , what journal / newspaper was it printed in ?
Thank you for sharing your work with me. :wink:
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Thanks Franz and Ted for your kind words , great to see genuine people taking a interest in my work .Plenty more to come gentlemen .

re-enactment group
Franz repper

Post by Franz repper »

SchnellMeyer wrote:Thanks Franz and Ted for your kind words , great to see genuine people taking a interest in my work .Plenty more to come gentlemen .
Justin a joy as ever to read your posts
A wise man speaks as he has somthing to say
A fool speaks as he wants to be Heard
ImageImageImageImageImage
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Tychsen wrote:Justin in 1946 the Kriegsmarine no longer existed , so there is no question of it being a patrol.
"Kriegsmarine" is not spelt "Kreigsmarine" a common error.
BTW Nice photos and article , did you write the article , what journal / newspaper was it printed in ?
Thank you for sharing your work with me. :wink:
Dear Tychsen
This post is uneccesary. It is blatantly picky and an attempt to belittle. For this reason I am placing a warning against your profile.
MY actions are without prejudice and not personally motivated. I am doing the job of moderator. NO discussion will be entered into but I suggest you relax a lot more and read the spirit of these posts to better gauge the interaction between people.
PD as Global Mod.

Now - sorry to interrupt an interesting thread - please carry on with the topic folks.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

And after a slight pause - I will christen the new KM section by moving this topic there.....

Prepare to Slip Moorings....................
pzrwest

Re: The Kriegsmarine last Patrol ? A Trip To S.Ireland 19.1.46.

Post by pzrwest »

SchnellMeyer I would love to see a larger,clearer posting of the article looks like it would be good reading. Well done mate!
mikebie

Post by mikebie »

Tychsen wrote:Justin in 1946 the Kriegsmarine no longer existed , so there is no question of it being a patrol.

Article 118 of the Geneva Convention states...

Prisoners of war shall be released and repatriated without delay after the cessation of active hostilities.

In the absence of stipulations to the above effect in any agreement concluded between the Parties to the conflict with a view to the cessation of hostilities, or failing any such agreement, each of the Detaining Powers shall itself establish and execute without delay a plan of repatriation in conformity with the principle laid down in the foregoing paragraph.

In either case, the measures adopted shall be brought to the knowledge of the prisoners of war.

I see the silliness continues unabated in some quarters....but Kudos to Hoffmann Grink for your wisdom and candour.

One might argue the contrary then that as the war had ended LONG before 1946...the failure of the Allies to release German Prisoners of War was a de-facto breach of the Geneva Convention and the sailors concerned obviously remained under military law as they had not been repatriated in accordance with the requirements of the Convention. Therefore the Kriegsmarine, although the Third Reich had ceased to exist, still existed in a de-facto state as the combatants involved were not de-mobilised in accordance with International Law.

Logic, such as it occasionally exists, would dictate therefore that their duty to escape remained intact and that any such armed excursion could quite legitimately be termed 'a patrol' and thus be attributed to the organisation that those sailors still belonged to, ie: The Kriegsmarine.

Perhaps logic does not apply, or occur, to some though.

Mike B

Incidentally, an interesting and still valid wartime RAF notice I once saw.... 'It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you're a fool - than to open it and remove all doubt' sic.
pzrwest

Post by pzrwest »

When Germany surrendered Eisenhower reclasified the German POW's to DEF's(Disarmed Enemy Forces) which weren't covered under the Geneva Convention. The is a book called Other Losses which goes into detail reguarding this. My Uboot friend Edgar surrendered 9 days after the end of the war and was interred and wasn't released till July 1st 1947. He said the reason was because he was classified "C"(fanaticle nazi) because SS, FJ, and Uboot people were volunteers and concidered fanatical nazi's. It wasn't till he attained an "A" clasification that he was released.
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

The German govermant ceased to be when Donitz's goverment was arrested , Germany was occupied and her navy had ceased to exist, all craft had been ordered to go to an Allied port flying a black flag - this was the order of the Grand Admiral himself.
The craft which came to Ireland had it been armed would have been in direct violation of the surrender agreement and somehow I can't see the French allowing the Germans to sail "armed".
To be honest it was a daring escape but cannot be called a patrol , if it was a patrol it was an aggressive act and this was hardly the case.
Who would the patrol have been directed against and what would have happened if they had met an Allied vessel - surrender is the obvious outcome.
Last edited by Tychsen on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Oh Christ he is off again .Tychsen will you ever learn , as H.G. said "relax " .If you do not like my post then do not post on it , if you have nothing good to say then stay away . I cannot believe you are being such a twit about the heading I used on my topic . Now some other facts about this "patrol " , this boat was armed as it was a minesweeper and was on "active" duty with French guards and a German crew . Now James , you yet again seem to be hell bent on destroying a perfectly good post that i put up .Continue like this and all forum users will see what you really are .

re-enactment group

Return to “Kriegsmarine”