First WW1 German sub found off Co.Cork , Ireland.

U-boot, German Navy, Italian navy.

Moderator: pzrwest

SchnellMeyer

First WW1 German sub found off Co.Cork , Ireland.

Post by SchnellMeyer »

UC42 was lost off the Cork coast on 10 Sept. 1917 with a crew of 27 . At the time the sub was laying mines and it was believed that she was sunk by one of her own mines .
On November 6 , 2010 the sub was discovered in 27 meters of water by a group of local divers . Since her discovery , several dives have been made on her and photos and a video have been done . Recently a plaque has been placed on the wreck as a memorial to the men entombed in UC42. They have returned from their last patrol .

Kampfgruppe Sud:Irelands Largest German military vehicle and
re-enactment group
Tychsen

Re: First WW1 German sub found off Co.Cork , Ireland.

Post by Tychsen »

Thanks for posting this up Justin, it is always gratifying to see that lost ships and their crews being discovered and that they are no longer simply "missing".
SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

You are most welcome James , I thought you might enjoy the story . I have some good reports from some of the newspapers down here , can make copies for you if you want . The sub is very intact , pity it is a war grave .If it was not then it would be worth rising .

re-enactment group
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Justin, from the current issue of "Britain at War magazine " ( March 2011) Issue 47 coverage of the discovery of the submarine.

SchnellMeyer

Post by SchnellMeyer »

Cheers James , many thanks for the heads up . You are a true expert when it comes to this subject .

re-enactment group
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

I would make no such claim Justin. :) Twas you who introduced the subject and awareness of the discovery I am just adding an update to it.
Being sunk by your own mine, it takes "an occupational hazard" to a new level.
There is a wealth of information out there sadly it cost many brave men their lives.......

I recall seeing Axel Niestle identifying a WW1 boat sunk in the Bristol Channel (as far as I can recall) the key to identifying the boat was the information on the screws as is seen in the photos of the magazine article.

Return to “Kriegsmarine”