DAK Uniform?

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Steiner

Re: DAK Uniform?

Post by Steiner »

Oh, Mr Schäfer, you've pushed me over the edge!

DAK tunic and trousers ordered... :D
"Stop that!!! Careful with my J-J!"
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Schäfer wrote:Incidentally, all my insignia, the olive green epaulettes with cavalry yellow waffenfarbe and M41 cap with cavalry yellow soutache all came from Richard Underwood. All the items are superb.
Any pics please Schafer of your DAK "load-out" :?:, cheers kamerad.

Pipes :wink:
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Peiper wrote:
Schäfer wrote:Incidentally, all my insignia, the olive green epaulettes with cavalry yellow waffenfarbe and M41 cap with cavalry yellow soutache all came from Richard Underwood. All the items are superb.
Any pics please Schafer of your DAK "load-out" :?:, cheers kamerad.

Pipes :wink:
I can definitely arrange that :wink:

I'll be adding these as I go along, more to follow...

Below, Richard Underwood M41 cap:

Below, Traders of the Lost Surplus M41 cap:

Below, the DAK KRAD/driver's mac:

Below, my SOF DAK uniform in PZ insignia:

Below, my ANTZ DAK uniform in Aufklarungs insignia:

I apologise for the grainy quality of the pics, I took them with my mobile.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Wow, some nice uniforms there, Schäfer. What is the significance of the "Afrika" (as opposed to "Afrika Korps") cuff title ?
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

Fantastic load-out Schafer, wunderbar, well worth the wait. :wink:

Hi Steiner, the significance of the "Afrika" cufftitle is that this was worn as
a campaign cuffband award the same as the "Kreta" and "Kurland" cufftitles
while the "Afrikakorps" cuffband was worn by troops while actually serving
in Africa, this denoted their Unit "DAK".

Regards Peiper :wink:
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

hmmmmm kev,

giving me an idea for something next year :)
Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Thanks for the explanation, Pipes.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

Yes, as Peips said.

The AFRIKA cuff title was an 'award' as such and was worn on the left cuff. A recipient had to have served in the theatre for a set period of time before being able to wear it (I have the full regulations somewhere.) The Luftwaffe and the Kriegsmarine had their own versions of this title, both with a blue background but the 'Afrika' in silver for Lufty and gold or yellow for Kriegs. This was something that was awarded from 1943.

The Afrikakorps cuff title was worn on the right sleeve and was the original designation given to those serving under the DAK corps title from 1941. It included all those serving with the original DAK regiments. Again, I have the full regulations saved somewhere, I'l have to try and locate them.

Incidentally, both cuff-titles were never to be worn simultaneously, for those who qualified for both.

I know what you mean about an 'idea', Hans... I'm having them too :wink: lol.

Here we go:

'AFRIKA' cuff title:

The AFRIKA cufftitle was instituted on 15 January 1943 per Allgemeine Heeresmitteilungen No. 60, dated 27 January 1943. As a campaign decoration, it was considered an award and all branches of the Wehrmacht who met the requirements were entitled to receive the award. To be eligible, a member had to have served in North Africa for at least six months. However, if the individual was wounded in action, the six-month time requirement need not apply.

More information from 'Digger-history.'

The 'Afrika' cuff-title:

In January 1943 Hitler ordered this to be removed, and another version was instituted on 15 January. It was a soft khaki-green cloth band with the word "AFRIKA" flanked by palm trees in silver-grey cotton thread. The edging was of silver-grey Russia braid.

It replaced the earlier version, and was awarded to those personnel who had served at least six months in the North African theatre (this time restriction was suspended for those wounded in action).

In March eligibility was extended to members of other uniformed branches (including the Fallschirmjagers).

This version was worn on the left cuff of all uniforms, including the greatcoat.

The 'DAK' Cuff-title:

The first was introduced on 18 July 1941, and was authorized to be worn by members of the Deutsches Afrika Corps (DAK). It was worn above the right cuff of the jacket by all ranks with at least two months' African service. About 1 1/4 inches (32 mm) wide, this band was completely machine woven , with tan outer edges and silver inner edges. The centre was dark green and bore the silver blocked legend AFRIKAKORPS. This version was worn on the right cuff of all uniforms, including the greatcoat.
'Heia Safari' Facebook group page: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/341661532588540

Steiner

Post by Steiner »

Cheers. :)
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

I got the 'bug' last year,I have an SOF tunic,done up as panzer,the trousers came from militaria net,so therefor Antz,the only one's with long legs.My cap came from Richard Underwood and my boots (American made ones)from SOF and I got my shirt from there too.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
Schäfer

Post by Schäfer »

I've seen your DAK gear, John, it's excellent.

Richard is starting to make inroads into DAK caps and epaulettes with whatever Waffenfarbe you wish to have applied.

Quite often ANT-Z and some other Hong Kong outlets don't supply shoulder boards with their tunics, so please bear Richard in mind as his material will perfectly match the olive green tunics. A lot of those you see on ebay and on the net in general are the tan ones and won't match at all.

Incidentally, I forgot to mention that I have 2 pairs of olive DAK shorts (not pictured) to go with my uniforms as well.

Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

Brigardefuhrer wrote:I got the 'bug' last year,I have an SOF tunic,done up as panzer,the trousers came from militaria net,so therefor Antz,the only one's with long legs.My cap came from Richard Underwood and my boots (American made ones)from SOF and I got my shirt from there too.

its catching isnt it ? esp in the summer, this year my evening wear if its warm will be Luftwaffe tropicals , and a touch of casual with a black shit and tropical trousers :)
Casbah Rock

Post by Casbah Rock »

Hans Gowert wrote: A touch of casual with a black shit and tropical trousers :)
You must have been drinking the guiness again Tom to get THAT result ;)
SS-Rottenführer Kotzur
Zweite Kampfgruppe
1. SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
Meine Ehre Heißt Treue
Hans Gowert

Post by Hans Gowert »

ha !

was trying to think of evening wear this year, usually its the lufty blues with a shirmütze , but i think im gonna go for the more casual look this year, and hoping for nice weather :)

got a pic of 7 Fj lads crapping about with AA and arty peices on RnR in what appears to be either italian black shirt or just a bog standard private purchase black shirt with tropical trousers, waiting to hear back from a friend to find out if they are the ITI black shirts or not.
hummern4

Post by hummern4 »

Hello guys!

didnt want to start a new topic so I ask the question here!
The DAK LW officers. What insignia did they wear and did they have shorts?

regards
Junge

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”