Luftwaffe M41 Blue-grey Tropical Tunic

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

askhati

Luftwaffe M41 Blue-grey Tropical Tunic

Post by askhati »

I am busy putting together a DAK impression (KM Kustenartillerie, to be exact), and came across the following item from Barry Lyndon on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-German-Luft ... 27d1bd70e2

Can anyone give any more information on this tunic? I am familiar with the Luftwaffe M41 tunic in tan, but this blue version is new to me.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
christiandbn

Re: Luftwaffe M41 Blue-grey Tropical Tunic

Post by christiandbn »

The blue version was a variation of the tropical LW tunic in tan. Many of these blue ones, were bleeched to tan to fit with the rest. A few weeks ago I have handled an original, unissued one manufactured 1943-1944. It also had the yellow collar tabs and breast eagle factory applied. Most probably this one came from France made from excess cotton fabric.

However, the KM tropical uniforms were not blue, they were Tan cotton (and later HBT), but the cut is different from The Heer of the Luftwaffe. I've never seen any reproductions available.

The Tropical and HBT KM uniform set is one that I have in the pipeline, depending on the availability. I have the pattern from an original, and also a fabric. but what's lacking is the crowd for it. I'm not yet convinced to give it priority over other tropical projects.
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
askhati

Post by askhati »

I'm reworking a Luftwaffe M41 tropical tunic for my tropical Kusten impression, so I'm sorted on that front. Would be great if there was a proper reproduction available though.

What interests me about this blue M41 is where it would have been fielded. Summer issue in Europe, more the Italian front, south of France only... Any ideas?
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

Hard to say. it could be from Southern France right across southern Europe to the Baltic states and possibly beyond.
Since most of them were bleached, they are not too different in the photos. The one I came across came possibly came from france.

I think I read somewhere that they were more issued to non-frontline troops (supplies etc). Cannot remember the source though.
christiandbn wrote:The blue version was a variation of the tropical LW tunic in tan. Many of these blue ones, were bleeched to tan to fit with the rest. A few weeks ago I have handled an original, unissued one manufactured 1943-1944. It also had the yellow collar tabs and breast eagle factory applied. Most probably this one came from France made from excess cotton fabric.

However, the KM tropical uniforms were not blue, they were Tan cotton (and later HBT), but the cut is different from The Heer of the Luftwaffe. I've never seen any reproductions available.

The Tropical and HBT KM uniform set is one that I have in the pipeline, depending on the availability. I have the pattern from an original, and also a fabric. but what's lacking is the crowd for it. I'm not yet convinced to give it priority over other tropical projects.
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”