Recommended Reading

Moderator: SchnellMeyer

Ardennes

Recommended Reading

Post by Ardennes »

Hello all! I'm looking for another good book on the DAK - I haven't been keeping up with the new releases, so I thought I'd ask. I'm really looking for something that has a bit more day to day stuff of regular soldiers..And in the sprit of cooperation, I thought I'd throw a couple of recommendations out too.

The first two are picture books, eye candy:

Afrikakorps: Rommel's Tropical Army in Original Colora by Bernd Peitz, Schiffer

Arikakorps: Tropical Uniforms of the German Army, 1941-1945 by Jacque Scipio, Historie and Collections

Finer details, collectors resource, and some great photographs:

Afrikakorps: Army, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen SS, by Robert Kurtz, Schiffer

Very good read, mostly short, personal stories of RK holders:

Knights Cross Holders of the Afrika Korps by Franz Kurowski, Schiffer

Rommel Stories:

The Trail Of The Fox Erwin Rommel The Desert Fox by by David Irving

Knight's Cross : A Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel by David Fraser
Tychsen

Re: Recommended Reading

Post by Tychsen »

Knights Cross Holders of the Afrika Korps by Franz Kurowski, Schiffer.

I only wish the publisher had gone for decent photographic reproduction and the author had just a little bit more information to add, in common with his book on RK Holders in the UBoat Arm I found this one a bit of a disappointment.

Afrikakorps: Army, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen SS, by Robert Kurtz, Schiffer
This is a good guide, some good info in it a bit pricey but worth it if you are into the DAK.

Knight's Cross : A Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel by David Fraser
A good read.

Also see "Rommel a Narrative and Pictorial History" Law and Luther (Bender 1980).
and
"Uniforms, Organization and History of The Afrika Korps" Bender and Law (Bender 1973)
A more basic book than Kurtz's but one which can be had for reasonable money included in it is an A-Z listing of RK holders which a fair selection of decent photographic plates and postcard images of them.
Also
"Rommel in Normandy" by Admiral Friederick Ruge ( MacDonals and Janes 1979).
A very good read.written by one who had close contact and the trust of Rommel in France.

Also see this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=86&t=7880

Return to “Deutsches Afrikakorps”