Use of ZB26

Moderator: berlin1945

soest

Re: Use of ZB26

Post by soest »

The bottom photo of the fist set posted by Herr Peiper of the SS MG crew with the gun number 2 to the right of the gunner with the box on magazines looked odd to me as you usually see the loader of MG teams on the left of the gun until I remembered that with the Bren style LMG everything was done with the right hand. The weapon would be cocked, magazine changed, sights set etc all with the right hand. The only thing done with the left hand was to move the change lever (safety catch) from safe to either full auto or single shot. Then the photo made perfect sense.

I would think the gunner would remove the magazine and put it in the ammo box to the left of the gun for reloading. the Number 2 would place the next magazine forward where the gunner would take it, load it and continue firing.
Chris Pittman

Post by Chris Pittman »

Thank you for showing these additional photos. I have seen many reenactors wearing MG13 magazine pouches with the ZB26 or ZB30. I have seen drawings showing this, and an action figure, but never an original photo. Original photos like the one commented on above appear to consistently show the magazines carried in ammunition cans instead of pouches.

My unit portrays soldiers of a Sicherungs-Regiment, the use of this weapon in units of this type is well-documented and appears to have been fairly widespread.
askhati

Post by askhati »

I've also seen the MG13 neck bandoliers portrayed with the ZB, figured it was one of IMA-USA's "creative" attempts...

Chris, do you have any photos of your unit? Would like to see something less common like a Sicherungs-Regiment.
"Klagt nicht - Kämpft!"
Chris Pittman

Post by Chris Pittman »

John, we just formed literally last month and haven't had a chance to do any events yet, just a couple of photo shoots with a few of us so far as we work on crafting our unit impression. All of us formerly did regular Heer Infanterie impressions and wanted to try something different. We will have a web site soon and I will post a link here on the forum when it is ready.
Attachments
IMG_1674.JPG
IMG_1674.JPG (214.12 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
IMG_1628 fedit.jpg
IMG_1628 fedit.jpg (199.26 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
IMG_1662 fedit.jpg
IMG_1662 fedit.jpg (226.76 KiB) Viewed 2844 times

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”