bayonet frog ww1 / ww2

Moderator: berlin1945

berlin1945

bayonet frog ww1 / ww2

Post by berlin1945 »

there does not appear to be a big difference bewtween the ww1 and ww2 bayonet frogs apart from the finish on the frog is this the only difference
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
Feld Kuche

Re: bayonet frog ww1 / ww2

Post by Feld Kuche »

The WK1 frog for the 1st Pattern 94/98 doesn't have the grip strap and will be of natural leather when first issued, and blackened (as with all other leather work) as the war progressed. They should be rough side out and not pebbled finish but you've already covered that.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

If you are talking about British ones, the web loop (to attatch to the belt)
was wider but German leather ones no Mairtin not a lot of difference, as far
as i know some of these were used early War :?:
The German WW1 one i had was a rough side out (not pebble finish)

Regards Pipes
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Peiper wrote:If you are talking about British ones, the web loop (to attatch to the belt)
was wider but German leather ones no Mairtin not a lot of difference, as far
as i know some of these were used early War :?:
The German WW1 one i had was a rough side out (not pebble finish)

Regards Pipes
Funny you should say that Loz I was looking the 1907 type leather bayonet at one stage as you know but when people realised what I wanted them for you would be surprised as in a period of two weeks I recieved 3 of these for next to nothing, one I paid for and two were donated to the cause lol , also I happened to get a lovely 1907 bayonet and bandolier for a great price from a real decent guy and also one other was donated to my display from Irish Americans that read my post on here and private messaged me as to what I wanted them for as well.

The bayonet carrier I'm looking for is the German type and yes they are as you say , I hope to get an origional from one of our members in Germany who has been very kind in his donations to us in the past and see no reason why he would not help out, I got the most amazing steel Trench fighting knife the other day from Germany as well in post as a gift from them too .

So things are looking well just a few more steps in the right direction and I do have to thank those on the forum who have contacted me and offered the most amazing articles for us to use many thanks.

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Hi Mairtin.
The frog on a S98/05 (or butcher bayonet,but really this term belongs to the saw back version as the British propaganda made a 'big deal' over these which lead the Germans to order the sawbacks ground off in 1917)is slightly wider than a K98 frog,the scabbard approx is 1/2 inch wider than a K98.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Brigardefuhrer wrote:Hi Mairtin.
The frog on a S98/05 (or butcher bayonet,but really this term belongs to the saw back version as the British propaganda made a 'big deal' over these which lead the Germans to order the sawbacks ground off in 1917)is slightly wider than a K98 frog,the scabbard approx is 1/2 inch wider than a K98.

where the feck do you get this knowledge and can i have some please ...... your links were fab and will soon have it al sorted , interesting about the saw back here as i can use that in my lectures thank you very much once again

Brigardefuhrer

Post by Brigardefuhrer »

Mairtin its no big secret,I just have a lot of books.
The sword and bayonet makers of Imperial Germany 1871-1918.
The German bayonet 1871-1945.
History of the German bayonet 1919-1945.
Swords of Germany 1900-1945.
Edged weapons of the third reich vol;1-8.
In WW1 the germans used many different types of bayonet including captured blades,all metal versions,refered to as ersatz.Saw backs were meant for pioneer troops,but ended up issued to other units as well,before the war and early war the British and French had used wooden posts to support barbed wire,so a sawback came in handy but later the posts were changed to cast iron.The propaganda attack was not the only reason to grind the blades.
In the late 1970's I wanted to collect daggers,but did not come accross these very often but bayonets 'popped up' at local fairs and were cheap(not like now),so I have a small collection of Imperial and TR bayonets.
"I require able bodied men,with good horse and gun.
I wish none but those who desire to be actively engaged".
"Come on boys,if you want a heap of fun and to kill some yankees".
Nathan Bedford Forest.

Return to “Weapons and Equipment”