Need help with motorcycles

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

hubner dave

Need help with motorcycles

Post by hubner dave »

The group is looking to get a German motorcycle side car combo. Ive been doing a little research but must admit it isnt my area of expertise. Ive seen some for nearly £30,000 is there an affordable reenactors way of doing this? ive heard rumours of russian bike conversions any help?
Kradschuetze

Re: Need help with motorcycles

Post by Kradschuetze »

Hi,

The Russian sidecar machines are a very good cheap alternative.
I myself am going such a part in Germany for years.
wir marschieren wieder.jpg
wir marschieren wieder.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 6194 times
DSCF6504.jpg
DSCF6504.jpg (120.79 KiB) Viewed 6194 times
I'm still not quite finished with "Germanize" but I think it can be seen. Next, "flat" fender turn.
What do you have to be aware of the Russian drive screw and means a lot of tinkering.
I personally tend to the old Seitenventilern ... similar to the BMW R71.
I have however already the frame. Should appeal to anyone, the Russian engine does not work then fall back on a BMW R50, R75 as this provides the most similar, and this block ... but it costs about 1000 €.
In the swing frame is to ensure the long buy so that you the good Dnepr gearbox reverse gear gets installed. Because then makes a Seitenwagenatriebes of Dnepr block really make sense. I go without, since I do mostly street driving.
In no case shall a Uralrahmen that is too short, too tall and looks like shit.
Another good alternative is the ancient Chinese ... especially since the Chinese have built the R71 after the war, virtually unchanged.
to get a Russian M72 "Molotov" in the first series and in good condition, almost hopeless, and if then over € 4000.

Maybe I could help you.

Best regards Ingo

Translation by Google
hubner dave

Post by hubner dave »

That would be great man, thing is where do we start and more importantly where do we look?
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Have a look at this link dave:

http://www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/main.html

I'm toying with the idea, a russain outfit dressed to look the part is what i'm thinking of!!

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.
Society Against Splinter A Bandoliers

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

hubner dave wrote:That would be great man, thing is where do we start and more importantly where do we look?
Try looking on Mil-web, (among others :?:) they sometimes have the odd "Chang jang" which
is the Chinese reproduced version which can be converted to look similar to the BMW ??

Some of the other "Krad" and "combo" experts on the forum will know more, read the
other bike related threads for an idea!!

Good-hunting, Peiper :wink:
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

Pipes, the russian bikes are copies of the BMW bikes, the chinese copied the russian bikes. I've not had many good reports on the chinese stuff. The russian kit is the lesser of two evils. Parts are alot easier to get hold of for the Urals.

Being a biker for the last twenty years, I've discussed this with "my mechanic" and he's told me to go for the Ural. But he also said, "Wha' the fook do you want sh1te like that for?" :lol:

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.

Find The Frontline Association on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheFrontlineAssociation
hubner dave

Post by hubner dave »

Wow the urals look good, so you would reccomend this? i mean i know we're a fallschirmjager ersatz unit but we could do with a run around definately.
Jaws

Post by Jaws »

I'm looking at a Ural so I can also use it to get to and from work! :lol: I have to be practical! I will also need to look at an original, there will be more to do than paint it grey. It would be nice to have proper BMW outfit, but keeping it in working order will be expensive.

Regards,

Gary.
S.A.S.A.B.

hubner dave

Post by hubner dave »

That would be interesting Gary!, we know some gearheads so if its a cheap alternative thats easier to look after why the hell not! lol
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

Sorry, I must have got lost somewhere - this thread started with someone asking about GERMAN motorcycles, and you'r all suggesting he gets some russian peasant crap... how very strange. :twisted:

ZUNDAPP, BMW, NSU, DKW, D-RAD, VICTORIA, TRIUMPH (Nurenberg), WANDERER, PUCH, SACHS, ARDIE ETC.

"If nothing worthwhile is easy, then Zundappps are the most worthwhile project"
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
hubner dave

Post by hubner dave »

I can see what your saying mate, but im sure if we can make it look like a german cycle and sidecar and get it for an affordable price rather than 20,000 - 35,000 it should suit.

Not that i wouldnt mind the real deal! but my bank account probably would. :roll:
meyer

Post by meyer »

that makes my k500 very worthwhile :lol: .Dave if you do want a cheap look-a-like i have a dnper/ural sidecar unit up for grabs (and can bring it to detling)
mayfiebl

Post by mayfiebl »

in the States the CJ 750 is the most common and fairley cheap and easy to get, they hit e bay alot, I have one, They range from 2K to 7K
Attachments
38763_1336378340707_1568575227_30795342_6982614_n.jpg
38763_1336378340707_1568575227_30795342_6982614_n.jpg (144.77 KiB) Viewed 6101 times
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

We got to CJs and they are great for what our group needs and thats a work horse and a looker!
Dont see the point of wrecking an Original around forests etc...

Jonny
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

jimmyvonk wrote:Sorry, I must have got lost somewhere - this thread started with someone asking about GERMAN motorcycles, and you'r all suggesting he gets some russian peasant crap... how very strange. :twisted:

ZUNDAPP, BMW, NSU, DKW, D-RAD, VICTORIA, TRIUMPH (Nurenberg), WANDERER, PUCH, SACHS, ARDIE ETC.

Sorry the poster was asking for AFFORDABLE alternatives ???

Not everybody has got a spare 20 or 30 grand lying about !!! :roll:

Return to “Vehicles”