1936 NSU 201 ZDB

For all your vehicle questions etc.

Moderator: Pug42

jimmyvonk

1936 NSU 201 ZDB

Post by jimmyvonk »

As some may know I'm currently restoring an NSU motorcycle so I thaught I'd post a progress report.

Last June I saw the bike on e-bay and was very tempted but was skint at the time so couldn't bid - but it didn't sell, so later when I had some money I contacted the seller and came to a deal. He also delivered the NSU to me which was great.

The NSU had been stood for a long time and was missing ignition coil and generator cover and the tail light but was otherwise compleate.
Here's what she looked like on delivery day.

Also with the bike was the original Kraftfahrzeugbrief. This showed that it was signed out of the NSU works in Neckarsulm on the 24/8/1936, Was first registered as a civilain cycle on 27/8/1936 and given the registration AH-5032.
What happen to the bike during the war is unknown, but I don't think it was conscripted (maybe it was hidden) but the next stamp is somthing to do with the American & British ocupation forces, dated 17/10/1947
It was then registed to a new owner in 1949 in the same area.
Here's the original registration page (can anyone translate more?)

Anyway, we stripped the bike down to it's major parts for a respray and Rebuild.

Then rebuilt the engine with new gaskets, bearings and a new barrel and piston. Here's the block rebuilt on the kitchen table.

The resprayed Tank was trial fitted on the frame...

And then the tank was put back in the bedroom till it's needed, the engine went back in the frame next, and we have slowly started refitting all the cycle parts, but as we go along new parts keep asking to be replaced so the shop NSU-Motzke in Germany has done very well from me recently!!!

Here is the progress at the moment.

I am currently working on making a wiring loom including the circuit for a brake light which they never had but I will need to get her on the road.
I hope to have her road registered this year, but will (fingeres crossed) have her running for Horndean.
Still lots to do, pannier brackets need fabricating, new seat covers, lots of bits still to paint... but getting there!
I'll keep you posted. :)
SS UntSch. Karl Schneider.
1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte AH - SBG
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

Ok, Finaly had some more parts arrive from Germany... barrel & piston on, timing set, everything to the rear of the forks ready to go on!!!

Scuse shiny chromed pipes, soon grind that off!! ;)

Unfortunately, some of the other parts sent are not as required so will be going back for replacement. ( 2 sets of right side front wheel bearings instead of 1 left, 1 right etc.. )

So, still not able to roll it round the shed.... but soon!
krause

Post by krause »

look`s fantastic karl did you do the paint job yourself? can you still get new part`s or are they matched from modern bearing`s etc?also like the pic of the engine on kitchen table reminded me of a mate who deceide to re-build his beetle engine in the front room & then degrease it in the bath :shock:
ss gren krause SBG
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

Yep, all sprayed with rattle cans I had made up in RAL 7021, not cheep but all I can do at the moment without a compressor.

New part.... well.. there are suppliers such as NSU Motzke who will sell you every componant you need - at a price! For the bearings I went to a place near me, he matched the old ones to new stock, nice and cheep that way, othger parts I have made or converted from others... it'll get there in the end...
daveydachs

Post by daveydachs »

I hate you jimmy, with your shop bought bearings! Of course, mine all have to be hand crafted out of a metal which only comes out of one particular seam of one particular mine which is now buried under a shopping centre in Patagonia. :)
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

daveydachs wrote:I hate you jimmy, with your shop bought bearings! Of course, mine all have to be hand crafted out of a metal which only comes out of one particular seam of one particular mine which is now buried under a shopping centre in Patagonia. :)
One day I want to suffer just like you Dave! :twisted:
jimmyvonk

Re: 1936 NSU 201 ZDB

Post by jimmyvonk »

Well, time for a progress update... after a long pause in proceedings due to rubbish landlords, parts problems, moving house etc... I've nearly finished!!

Just need to put top coat on front wheel and put it on, mount exhausts and am waiting on about 6 small parts from germany (cables etc)

Here some pictures from Sunday after a full day on the job - the front end view....
Left side
Right Side
Time for a test fitting and a beer to wash the dust from my throat.. ;)

Hope to have it on the road by Crimbo. :)
JD7

Post by JD7 »

Thanks for sharing the restoration pics - it's going to look great when you get it finished.
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

At last - 2 wheels!!!!

Now only exhausts, throttle cables and rear chain adjustment....

andy d

Post by andy d »

I tried to explain to my wife that kitchen tables are for assembling bottom ends.
My jaw still hurts.
She is looking very nice indeed (bike not wife!).
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

It runs, it moves, it's fun!!!

:D :D

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=LblazZAHoiQ
Paulkd

Post by Paulkd »

Massive grin and thumbs up from me!
Society Against Splinter A Knochensacks

You buy them to push, if they run its a bonus......

Mystery panzer combi of the year!
jimmyvonk

Post by jimmyvonk »

Well - the NSU passed it's MOT yesterday, so hopefully if DVLA behave I will be able to get a numberplate and be on the road all legal by the end of the month. :)

Can't wait to drive it properly!

Hennig

Post by Hennig »

Great news on the girl passing her mot sir 8) i am very impressed with the rebuild you done :wink: and are we to see it at a event soon ??? :wink:

mike
SS Schar Hennig Der FG
SS-Feldgend Tr 1.SS Pz. Div. Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler
SECOND BATTLE GROUP
ssparatrooper

Post by ssparatrooper »

BENDER is nice! :wink:

Return to “Vehicles”