Simple Helmet Question

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

Kurt Schulte

Simple Helmet Question

Post by Kurt Schulte »

When it comes to buying all of the various helmets I would like for different scenarios, and early or late war variations its apparent that purchasing original helmets will add up to some serious coin. By no means to I consider myself a collector, if I was, this stuff would just sit on a shelf, and collect dust. I use this stuff, and sometimes quite rough. I have a smaller head and require a 64 shell and 56 liner. Most reproduction shells are 68, but I have noticed Military tour out of Canada has 64 Shell M35's at a price I don't mind repainting, or using in our reenacted combat. Does anyone have any experience with these 64 shelled repros? The meat of my question though, Hessen antique sells a 66 M42 for 75 bucks, How great of a difference is the shell size 66 to a 64? and can a 56 liner be installed in a 66 shell? Would it look huge on my head, I have no idea since I have never tried one on. Thanks for any insight fellas.
KS
Obergefreiter Kurt Schulte
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA
sapper44

Re: Simple Helmet Question

Post by sapper44 »

Don't get the Hessen M42 repro. I got one in the mail last week and it was awful. The edges were not strait, the brim looked like it had been bent down then bent back with a pair of pliers, and the paint job was chipped on the inside around the chin strap hooks, and the paint on the out side was chipped in several places. I sent it back and got one of there M35 helmets.
Christian
"Peace is an extension of war by political means."
- Robert Heinlein
feldman

Post by feldman »

Depends on what you consider serious money. I bought a good original shell from Vitusek + liner, chinstrap etc. and ended up on £180 - £200

Check his ebay page, shells comes & goes... I have seen a lot of 64 shells there..
Retired & Armed
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

Kurt Schulte wrote: How great of a difference is the shell size 66 to a 64? and can a 56 liner be installed in a 66 shell? Would it look huge on my head, I have no idea since I have never tried one on. Thanks for any insight fellas.
KS

There a 2 headsizes possible in 1 shell,64 shell fits headsize 56 and 57 cm.
In a 66 shell,headsize 58 and 59 cm
I would not place a 56 liner in a 66 shell.
Because then there will be to much space between the liner and the helmet inside...
That can snap your pins very easily,so put your 56 liner in a 64 shell.

hope this help?

The best repro is an original...
Kurt Schulte

Post by Kurt Schulte »

Thanks for the help Gentlemen,
Obergefreiter Kurt Schulte
2Kp. Großdeutschland
Ohio USA

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”