Sumpftarn helmetcovers.

Moderator: Sheikh Al Stranghi

Stigroadie

Re: Sumpftarn helmetcovers.

Post by Stigroadie »

erikbozwo2 wrote:I am supplying this forum with knowledge,
No, what you are supplying the forum with is an opinion. Without some more 'meat' the opinion will never be knowledge.
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

erikbozwo2 wrote:I am supplying this forum with knowledge,
No, what you are supplying the forum with is an opinion. Without some more 'meat' the opinion will never be knowledge.
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

What are you trying to say? I've been researching "Sumpftarnmuster helmbezug", and posting my findings. If you have a different opinion, fine! Fact is these covers DID excist, in what scale they where issued, I have no clue.
CDB taking it way too serious!
Sheikh Al Stranghi

Post by Sheikh Al Stranghi »

Looks like it COULD be a sumpf '43 pattern helmet cover. Your opinions? I scanned it from the book German Combat Uniforms of World War Two Volume II by Brian L. Davis, ISBN0-85368-666-1

The caption reads: An observer from Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Grossdeutschland" using a field telephone.

Cheers
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Could be. Could also be just about any pattern too. It's not a great image to make a call on.
The dark area above the left ear? I cant find an area that matches that shape in the '43 sumpf print. There might be one but I cant see it in the images I have to hand.
Even if it is a sumpf cover we cant answer the great debate about issue or field made with that image.
There is almost no doubt that there are some period made covers but are they field made or factory made, issue items.
I still maintain they are a custom item, perhaps converted from the hood of the smock. I have seen no good evidence to suggest otherwise.
What is field made anyway?
Some guy with a needle and thread sat in a muddy hole knocking up covers for his mates?
The unit tailor with a sewing machine running off a few covers for the troops after they had reported the hood cut down on visibility and audibility? There are any number of possible scenarios.
One would be simple to tell from a factory made item. The other would not be so easy.
I'm not going to cry if someone shows me a nice factory made example with RB numbers and a makers tag. I'd love them to do so, it answers the question that remains, at the moment, conjecture for both camps.
erikbozwo2

Post by erikbozwo2 »

To be honest, the only good sumpftarn covers i've seen had NO rb/nr. Have seen a good one, but with a (postwar) added RB stamp.

I think you might just hit the jackpot with that one Imme. But there are more shown on Wehrmacht Awards.
CDB taking it way too serious!
Mooyman

Post by Mooyman »

erikbozwo2 wrote:To be honest, the only good sumpftarn covers i've seen had NO rb/nr. Have seen a good one, but with a (postwar) added RB stamp.

I think you might just hit the jackpot with that one Imme. But there are more shown on Wehrmacht Awards.
Better to showe a more clear picture then.
The picture above says nothing.

The best repro is an original...
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

A strong case of confirmation bias here I think?
What jackpot?
Even if it is a sumpf cover, which is very much open to debate, it does not prove it is a factory made issued item. It could still be field made.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Stigroadie wrote:A strong case of confirmation bias here I think?
What jackpot?
Even if it is a sumpf cover, which is very much open to debate, it does not prove it is a factory made issued item. It could still be field made.
Guadalahara must be bloody boring....................
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

I dont know about that.
Santa Cruz, Bolivia is interesting though.
You dont support the poor quality of investigation purporting to be research going on here do you?
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Stigroadie wrote:I dont know about that.
Santa Cruz, Bolivia is interesting though.
You dont support the poor quality of investigation purporting to be research going on here do you?
Definitely not........ I remain sceptical about MANY things going on in Re-enactment and "Living" History these days. I see too many truths trodden underfoot in the quest for history to fit people's ideals.

Hows that?

Have you been shopping yet? :P
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

Hoffman Grink wrote:Have you been shopping yet? :P
Not had time for any shopping really.
Day 4 of Montezuma's revenge is severely [stomach] cramping my style.

Return to “Helmets and Helmet Restoration”