Private Schultze

Moderator: Pirkka

Reich Crispies

Private Schultze

Post by Reich Crispies »

Borrowed this TV series from a friend of mine, enjoyed it and got my own copy on DVD.
Made in the early 80's and starring Micheal Elphick, its a black comedy about of all things, the SD!

Anyone else gave it a whirl?
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
Sturmschar

Re: Private Schultze

Post by Sturmschar »

Terrific stuff, BBC television comedy drama series starring Michael Elphick in the title role and Ian Richardson playing various parts. Other notable actors included Tony Caunter, Billie Whitelaw, Billy Murray and Mark Wingett.
Over six one-hour episodes, it tells the story of a German fraudster who tricks the Nazis into making counterfeit British five pound notes, millions of which will be used to destroy the British economy. However, Schulz is primarily interested in stealing them.
It was based on several real life incidents: The Venlo incident, when two British offiers were abducted from the Netherlands
The real though unrealised plot by the Germans, Operation Bernhard.
Salon Kitty, a Nazi sponsored brothel used to spy on its wealthy clients.
Sachsenhausen concentration camp counterfeiting operation.
Additionally, many of the main characters are real people (though occasionally under a different name). Billie Whitelaw appeared as a prostitute working in 'The Salon Kitty', where German officers were secretly recorded by the SS in the prostitutes' bedrooms. Whitelaw's character claimed to have a psychological block that prevented her sleeping with any soldier below the rank of major.
Always keep the boot of destiny aimed at the arse of anticipation!
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

Glad you enjoy this too Andy.
I too realised the series is based on actual events, but didnt realise Billie Whitelaws character was also based on truth.
Truly amazed that someone actually made a comedy about the SD.
That must have took some stones!
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

It is a very good series , sadly the two leading actors have since passed away.
Also worth reading ...."The Return of Gunner Ash" - about a German POW and his mis advantures - imagine a pipe band loving NCO teaching Germans to play the bagpipes and you get a glimpse of things to come.
JDR

Post by JDR »

couple of years ago it was repeated on cable cant remember which channel used to catch the odd one know and then thought it had stood the test of time ok.
And that boys is how you take a penalty.
JDR

Post by JDR »

And that boys is how you take a penalty.
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

If you liked "Schulzy" try the film "The Counterfeiters" which tells the story more realistically.

Pipes :wink:
bhoy

Post by bhoy »

Wasn't this the film where the main character was being repatriated from East to West (during the cold war period) in an exchange across a bridge and was locked out by both sides? It's been a long time since I saw this series... Bob
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

bhoy wrote:Wasn't this the film where the main character was being repatriated from East to West (during the cold war period) in an exchange across a bridge and was locked out by both sides? It's been a long time since I saw this series... Bob
No Private Schultz was about a Jewish prisoner being recruited by the SS to make
forged banknotes which apparantly the Germans planned to drop onto England to
flood the economy and make the pound/sterling worthless, the other film i mentioned
(The Counterfeiters) is about this but more serious.

Pipes
Pirkka

Post by Pirkka »

bhoy wrote:Wasn't this the film where the main character was being repatriated from East to West (during the cold war period) in an exchange across a bridge and was locked out by both sides? It's been a long time since I saw this series... Bob
No, that one was 'Blott on the Landscape' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blott-Landscape ... 837&sr=1-1
which was pretty good too. Another BBC classic of that time.

Return to “Books, films & other media”