How to slow deteriation of your original equipment

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
Gott Mit Uns

How to slow deteriation of your original equipment

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

I wasnt sure whether to put this in questions or tips....but its here now.

How do you slow any deteriation of your original leather equipment? I have my own methods - apply scho ke leine, leder fett etc. Are there any other remedy's out there that people use? Any extra tips?

Cheers
Tom.
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Herr Taff

Post by Herr Taff »

shouldnt be using original in the first place.....

Why? The moral issue:

Because when its gone its gone..that little bit of history...the sweat on that forced march...that ink inscription thats faded,,....that has survied the war..survived the 60 years since...gone forever.

Thats what reproductions are for!
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Taff - agreed but way back when original was all we had in most cases.... I reckon Re-enactors have knackered nearly as much kit as HItler's squaddies!!!!

And think on - Binning kit makes the surviving stuff rarer! ergo = worth more!
Gott Mit Uns

Post by Gott Mit Uns »

Well I dont want to go into the moral dilema, as thats going off topic. I use original sani pouches, why? Because there isnt anyone in the UK that makes good enough repros. I treat the kit with respect, but I and perhaps others want to know how to slow down any deteriation of the equipment so that it isnt lost forever. :)
Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Herr Taff

Post by Herr Taff »

Yes you are right, there is going to be stuff that is not reproduced due to ecenomic factors,and you will have no choice but to use original items. and of course the majority of reenactors will treat it with their kit with respect.

And of course apologies for going off topic! :oops:

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”