Pea Dot Uniform

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
soest

Re: Pea Dot Uniform

Post by soest »

Hello,

What I would suggest is do your research, find a photo of guy's from the unit with a look that you like and base your uniform on that. See how they wear the uniform and carry their equipment, copy that as close as you can and you can't go far wrong.

I would think you have limited funds so don't rush or skimp. Take your time, buy right and buy once.

I don't know if you have any groups local to where you live but most have a website which describes the kit used and may be able to provide you with advice as well.

Soest
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

I was about to say but Soest already mentioned it,
join a group first before worrying about what kit
to buy, they will point you in the right direction
and give you a list of requirements plus suppliers,
some groups like everyone to buy the same gear,
that is what you need to do first ;-)

Peiper
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
12 SS Panzer Div.

Post by 12 SS Panzer Div. »

Are there any groups in West Virginia or somewhere close? I haven't been able to find any.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
dixiedrummer

Post by dixiedrummer »

I would also suggest the first thing you need to do before you worry about what to get, is to join a unit. I'd hate for you to buy something, then find out that it's not up to par with that unit's standards. Also, once you join a unit, you can usually buy used gear from guys for a good price. You'll have a much easier time finding out what to get and from where once you have some local folks to see and talk to. You may have an uphill battle with the HJ route though. I don't know of any 12th units in that part of the country.
12 SS Panzer Div.

I'm new to this so bare with me... I don't necessarily have to be in the 12 SS I just want to be in an Waffen-SS group... I already have the Pea Dot Tunic sooo
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
- Winston Churchill
Oberleutnant Ulrich

Post by Oberleutnant Ulrich »

Having the pea dot tunic doesn't mean much here, if you already had the tunic, trousers, belt buckle, papers etc all geared up for SS, then it would be a different story. Not trying to puncture the buble, just letting you know.

I would seriously suggest you go down the more "neutral" road and start with the wool uniform, you can easily change badges then, change from SS to Heer (sometimes you just can't do SS...and often you'll be more "accepted" by the public if you tell them it's NOT an SS uniform). Plus, it's the most common uniform. It opens up a lot more doors. Tunic (wool), pants (wool), boots, belt and cap/helmet, those are your staples.
Arthur

Leutnant Ulrich Stab./II/JG-52
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./756. Gren. Reg.
Leutnant Ulrich Heereshochgebirgsschule
Leutnant Ulrich Stab./I./Geb.Aufkl.Abt.54
12 SS Panzer Div.

The thing is here in West Virginia, even if I say it's NOT SS they won't care. 75% of people here are hillbillies and rednecks, you know Merica people. They probably wouldn't know the difference between SS or Heer. If they see a German uniform SS or not, they automatically think NAZI. The majority of people my age here are like that :( :?:
- Winston Churchill
ringer

Post by ringer »

Low boots all the way , not only are they "more" correct i.e the norm for 12th they are also more inline with the youthful thoughts of the HJ ...how many young boys would prefer "old style " jacks over more modern short boot ....short boots way more comfortable ( better fitting ) so more suitable for rough terrain ( battles )
soest

Post by soest »

I did read on a groups website (Not sure, could have been Die Erste Zug) a recollection of a veteran who served in the later part of the war. He recalled being disappointed with being issued low boots as I think it was his older brother had marching boots which he thought looked much smarter His comment was along the lines of "Ach we looked like Tommies".....

Historically though the 12th HJ was formed in 1943 so low boots, from what I have read, are more likely to have been issued and would be more appropriate.

The main thing is to buy a good pair of boots and not skimp regardless of style. Ill fitting boots will spoil your weekend quicker than anything else...
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

My advice take it or leave it is first and foremost join a group,
as I said earlier, if this is not possible and you are still sticking
to an SS portrayal get some ref books that is always the best
thing and if you still want to do your 12th impression follow
what is being worn in the ref books, the common normal
"landser" style look is always the best way rather than the
fancy exotic look,

Tbf the 12th did wear a lot of pea dot so that would
be correct, but never try to "shoehorn" a piece of
equipment or garment into your portrayal just because
you have it and want to use it, if the item is wrong get rid
of it and start again, thats what I did when I first started out
now my portrayals are spot on and cannot be faulted right
down to the personal kit items which were carried

Good luck with your portrayal ;-)
Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
12 SS Panzer Div.

Thank you all for your advice! You have been very helpful!
- Winston Churchill

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”