Tent advice

Swap information and ask any questions about an impression.
johankreig

Tent advice

Post by johankreig »

I am looking to get my first tent, I want something big enough to sleep in and store my kit, but also need something remotly authentic, zelts are too small but looking to spend around 150 ish, any advice on what i need or who i should go to.
Name: Jonathan
Johan Paul Kreig
Feldgendarmerie
Himmel Soldaten
Stigroadie

Re: Tent advice

Post by Stigroadie »

I think you will struggle to find an authentic tent other than zelts for around £150.
I've done many events in an 8 section zelt tent and had plenty of room for me and kit with the occasional guest. Done it in all weathers too.
A Stabs tent would seem to fit what you think you need but you wont get one for much less than £400 secondhand and you'd need to be lucky at that.
johankreig

Post by johankreig »

ah ok, was looking at a british army one second world war as i have seem them used fpr german, as many were captured after dunkirk, just not sure where to look.
Johan Paul Kreig
Feldgendarmerie
Himmel Soldaten
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

You still wont get one for £150 I dont think.
You wont want to lug a 160lb about and you wont get one for the money.
80lb are hard to find and often go for more than a 160lb.
Officers tents are rare as originals and out of your price range as repros.
The cammo lightweight (often called airborne) wasnt around at Dunkirk to capture and are expensive.
You might get two pup tents for your money? Sleep in one and kit in the other? You may as well use zelts though, more head room.
Which British tent are you looking at? That might help find one for you?
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

Stigroadie wrote:You still wont get one for £150 I dont think.
You wont want to lug a 160lb about and you wont get one for the money.
80lb are hard to find and often go for more than a 160lb.
Officers tents are rare as originals and out of your price range as repros.
The cammo lightweight (often called airborne) wasnt around at Dunkirk to capture and are expensive.
You might get two pup tents for your money? Sleep in one and kit in the other? You may as well use zelts though, more head room.
Which British tent are you looking at? That might help find one for you?

I would listen to sean here as he is absolutely right, 2 pup tents and they are getting more expensice I bought my 4 pup tents, for a tenner each, they do give room for one person comfortably, and a second gives you ample space for your equipment, only issues qre head room and also that you are separated from your gear, 8 zelt tent is a better option to use as it gives more head room and internal space.
ps Sean how much would one expect to pay for a full zelt tent with pens and internal poles as a matter of interest?
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

All original zelts poles and pegs?
4 or 8 section?
johankreig

Post by johankreig »

would be interested on rough price for the 8 zelt, that sounds like the way for me to go, the pup tents do looke nice but like you say my kit will have to be outside or in another tent.
Johan Paul Kreig
Feldgendarmerie
Himmel Soldaten
Stigroadie

Post by Stigroadie »

So many variables in pricing such a beast.
Do you really want all original zelts? They need more looking after, can be fragile but will hold their value.
You can buy top end repros or use the cheaper end of the market. It makes a massive amount of difference to the cost.
No, I'm not going to do 10 different costing exercises for you. I'll do 1 or 2 if you wish. Even at the cheap end of the market an 8 zelt tent is over your £150 budget.
Original poles and pegs are getting very hard to find at a price where you would want to use them. You dont see many zelts at displays with original pegs.
What do you want?
Halle

Post by Halle »

Two sets of four with poles etc. will cost you £350 from Richard Underwood .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
Crazy Feldgendarme

Post by Crazy Feldgendarme »

About the same from most UK based sellers im afraid, looks like you either need to save a lot more money or try to get some second hand zelts etc.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day and may their arms be too short to scratch.

GeFoPo
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

johankreig wrote:would be interested on rough price for the 8 zelt, that sounds like the way for me to go, the pup tents do looke nice but like you say my kit will have to be outside or in another tent.

if you are war and peace ill sell you a full set for £115, poles, pegs and 4 zelts used condition underwood does new for about 160 for full set, mine are ss oakleaf i think and used
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach

Return to “Questions, Tips and Tricks”