NYMR Railway 16th – 18th October 2009

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
gurowski

Re: NYMR Railway 16th – 18th October 2009

Post by gurowski »

Hoffman Grink wrote:So I did !!!! I once described Georg Luger as a Switzer in reference to him coming from Swtzerland!!!!!! Once I get on a roll who knows what comes out.... :lol:

I do those demos here as well, and I know how really easy it is to make a mistake. You should hear my bullshit storys to the public when an MG plays up and doesnt fire
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

Good one the balance of easily digested information and the application "people skills" comes across.
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

Well put Tychsen. PD is a national treasure when it comes to this sort of thing.

In my opinion, and this is the ethos of my group, is that we are here to Entertain and Educate.
The entertainment has to come first, then if we are lucky, the public will actually absorb some of the facts we try to get across. I know this way of think doesnt sit well with some groups but each to thier own.
Birds of Prey Do Not Sing
Tychsen

Post by Tychsen »

It has to work for the public and they will expect to be part entertained , if you are giving information you have to be able to pitch it at all levels and to be able to vary how you deliver it depending on who you are talking to - a flexible approach is best - although I have never seen PD in action other than here he does seem to work it very well.
nelz

Post by nelz »

..love the vid Paul,... very entertaining mate,.......... you always do a good job,.... but let's face it , it's not easy....that's why there is no que at the mark to get up and do it,........ well done buddy! :D

The Yorkshire Wartime Experience http://www.ywe-event.info/
yorkshirewartimeexperience@live.com
elitemilitaria@live.co.uk
Mobile : 07413-707121
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

not all of us sadly have the confidence to do such a thing

im working on it :wink:
some have mastered it

now if there where more of us that can master it then we would all move the hobby further up the entertainment chain :wink:

and neil is absolutely correct when it comes to public shows
we in the gebirgs have the same attitude
we are here to entertain when in the public view
and also to educate as far as our own knowledge will let us
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
DAS MEDIC

Post by DAS MEDIC »

me and micky would like to thank neil for our invite every year to this event, it has always been a pleasure and very honoured to support such a brilliant venue.
the le-visham scenario just goes from stregnth to stregnth as each year passes, good groups as friends working together seamlessley no ropes no barriers no egos just great mates doing what they do best and it really shows. and THE PUBLIC LOVE IT
the planning second to none. many big big events need to take a leaf oiut of neils book.
the pyro well what can be said it was pd with the key to the det box.

great atmos, and equally great to see friends old and new.and a chance to spend quality time together , sometimes this is missing from other events where you just get to say hello and goodbye

big thanks to the station crew , welcoming as ever and keeping micky in tea all weekend, and a warm home with the frau girls in the radio room.

well done to all

nick and micky
"every dog has its' day"
"never pi$$ a guy off who works in a tall glass building who owns a high powered rifle"

manager to real german hairdresser

http://www.motorcyclemedics.page.tl
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

Thanks Nick and Mich.
Always a pleasure with you guys around. Levisham wouldnt be the same without you two. :wink:

And on top of everything else the good news is that the Medlands will be here next year, and with a bit of luck the Rippers too!

Looks like I'm going to have to write a good scenario.
I have two on the table at present, but need a third to give NYMR the choice.
Thinking cap on!
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

My two pfennigsworth is to make a forward operating base just outside the station (up the hill going back towards Levisham - Make use of the vehicles for resupply etc. - Get Les to lay in a proper roadside telephone cable - Build a good substantial live-in-able strongpoint wheich the public will see coming in on that big sweeping road. Send out patrols and stop the traffic - What a hoot! Guard the phone line in case the pesky Amis cut it......... you know they want to. The "paddock" seemed a tad underused - possibly due to the few no shows we encountered - Get the Soldatenheim set up in there - Get some sides on the shelters, a hidden genny providing lights and get Der Windhund up with the Field Kitchen.........

Scenario?
Hmmmmmmm - Das Reich's March North 1944? LOTS of Resistance Activity culminating in the Frog dogs leading the Amis up the valley to dislodge us......... get the mortars out next year - Could even fire on the Amis as they come over the top using the FOB as a spotting station....... Lots of ideas........

What about a staging post for Anti partisan Sweeps up the valley? Mixed Kampfgruppe so we can incorporate all arms of service - Let's get out and about in the wonderful countryside - Everyone else seems to! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reich Crispies

Post by Reich Crispies »

This year we were supposed to get up the hill, but I cancelled that a week before the show.
Seperating a gruppe away from the main thrust of the station seemed wrong, so I pulled it in and re-wrote.

Not sure if I bo-booed on this but, its worth thinking about.

Your idea is good Paul, one for later?

My thinking is, we did that this year so next year something different. I'm not god though, so all ideas accepted and weighed.

Of my two scenarios on the table, only one has a combat element (and involves N44).
The third I'm working on also has no combat.

I will start a new thread soon giving all interested parties the opportunity to stick thier twopence in.
Levisham's all about team work and that should go for the scenarios too. :wink:
JDR

Post by JDR »

How about something along Pauls lines with a sentry box and check point with machine gun nest etc around and about on the hill top on the way down to the station, that way you could have two living history displays one on the hill and the other on the station and these could be rotated between groups or groups of guys/gals.
And that boys is how you take a penalty.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”