Women On The Battlefield Thread

UK scene, discussion. Post events here too.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

I wasn't going to rejoin in.

I've just answered a PM from Bee. I hope she doesn't mind me saying but she is a little upset.
1 because she seems to be causing such a fuss
2 because she is coming the best part of 800 miles to see a load of mates and have a good time
3 because she feels a little pushed out.

I've had comms with Tim, Pete, Jon, Bryn and Les on this and now Bee.

Regarding the Gender issue. Bee should be allowed to participate. Because she is female this is no barrier to participation.
Regarding the Role issue. Bee didn't ought to participate as a grenadier.
Why?
1 Because we are looking for accuracy - it's what we all signed up for.
2 Because it opens the floodgates to a whole raft of complications, issues and accusations levelled at Pete, the German side of re-enactment, individuals and groups..... (Won't go into them because some are basically petty and others would cause larger arguments)
3 Because despite whatever viewpoint we all have pro or con - we know it didn't happen mainstream and will dilute what we are aiming to do.

So - I have offered bee a Falkhelferin uniform. I have also suggested she be given a role as Kriegsberichter - She is a superb photographer and I feel she would be wasted toting a bang stick about...... bee could come and be assigned to either KP1 as KB or given a pass to "roam" and capture the action. We have a KB in the shape of Botty (Brandt) and he's going to be engaged in capturing the event on film.....

I have to say - we have a member who's wife would LOVE to come and get involved in a battle...... How will he feel (not to mention her) if one woman is allowed to participate and others aren't? We must have one rule for all I'm afraid no matter how harsh. Let's not turn this into a huge issue....
What is the concensus? Will the world kick off if Bee dresses appropriately as a Flak Helferin and takes part?

I've done my bit to try to bring about a reasonable compromise - both sides giving.....
Last edited by Hoffman Grink on Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Just read Sal's post - So I had a good idea for once??????
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

and what i like about this site

there was no shouting or animosity :wink:

patt on the backs i think :wink:
95th nacht..attached 85th gebirgsjeager

have enigma ,will travel.
Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

SHADDAP HEARN YOU FACKING SUVVERN POOF! :twisted:

IT'S ALL YOUR FACKING FAULT THE BIRDS IN THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE- YOU AND YOUR BLEEDIN TIP FINDS!!!!! :evil:

(I like to be controversial!)

edit
please delete after one hour when everyone's had a laugh at this!
Salerno43

Post by Salerno43 »

I think there were a large number of LW Helferinen at Arnhem, allegedly some took part in the fighting. There is some reference to this on the "other" forum.

But it's probably best as Paul has said to make her non combatant, it's more likely in any event.

So long as Pete agrees, I'm cool with it.
Pete Skillman

National Bee event

Post by Pete Skillman »

Hi All, god, well I am very happy with that suggestion and would not mind firing a Flak gun myself, dressed as a man though!!. Lets wait for Bee to say what she wants to do?,
Chers Pete
LAH650

Post by LAH650 »

Hi,

Sorry if I have upset anyone with my coments, they have not been aimed at any individual.

As for the forthcoming event, PDs' suggetsion is spot on.

Not that I have any say in this.... but that's my 3 cents worth.

See you in the woods :wink:

Thats me bailing out of this one now....
Jon Das Reich

Post by Jon Das Reich »

LW Flak-Helferin would be a good idea plus theres evidence of them being used at Arnhem.

She can act as P.D says as a Kriegsberichter.

That way She or any other woman can attend the event dressed appropiatley.

Like Pete says the ball is in Bees court if she wants to go down this line.

We all must remember its Petes event and Petes rules.

I guess in the future we all will know including Bee or any other woman what the rules and regs are regarding some living history battles in the UK, and i guess if in doubt ask.
emma.b

Post by emma.b »

Ive read with interest and i can see both sides.....and im not here to spark off any disagreements.

I could not think of anything better than living in the field, firing some weapons, etc etc ...and i really know where Bee is coming from on this......... :D but i know that if we are representing fact ,then women just wouldnt have done this
But i can see Bees side as well as the other and i do feel for her and why she wants to get involved but i know that its just not the done thing to dress as a bloke ( i did it once just to know what it feels like to be in a battle situation :wink: )
I think the suggestion are good ones and Bee you should not feel for a min that you are being pushed out. Its a very male dominated hobby but you can be involved and get respected for doing other roles without taking on a blokes role. I feel now i do have respect from some reenactors and have made alot of good friends doing this hobby who i know support me and what i am doing.

Chin up girl and this is now showing the support for one another that i think we should be showing.
:P

Em.xxx
farby but nice!
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

Fwbl Dollman wrote:SHADDAP HEARN YOU FACKING SUVVERN POOF! :twisted:

IT'S ALL YOUR FACKING FAULT THE BIRDS IN THIS MESS IN THE FIRST PLACE- YOU AND YOUR BLEEDIN TIP FINDS!!!!! :evil:

(I like to be controversial!)

edit
please delete after one hour when everyone's had a laugh at this!
PLEASE DISREGARD PAULS LAST STATEMENT REGARDING DELETING HIS POST AS I WANT EVERYONE TO SEE WHAT HE IS REALLY LIKE :wink:

A JOKER :wink:

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

OH YA GOT ME LESLIE MA BOY - YA GOT ME!!! :wink:

I wish to announce I am attending Waltham Abbey this year

I will be coming as the most decorated soldier of WWII OberMajorGeneral Feldmarschall Helmut Kovver.

HA HA HA HA!!!! You know who YOU are!!! :wink:
les hearn

Post by les hearn »

Fwbl Dollman wrote:OH YA GOT ME LESLIE MA BOY - YA GOT ME!!! :wink:

I wish to announce I am attending Waltham Abbey this year

I will be coming as the most decorated soldier of WWII OberMajorGeneral Feldmarschall Helmut Kovver.

HA HA HA HA!!!! You know who YOU are!!! :wink:
now i have heard a rumour that your down bellow bitts are helping out in the gravity area of keeping that medal up
am i correct :wink: :lol: :lol:

Hoffman Grink

Post by Hoffman Grink »

Strangely enough I was looking for that particular photo to "doctor".... would have looked miles funnier!!!!

Q. What do you do if you don't want the Allies to see all your medals?

A. Hide behind a Busch! (geddit?)
bee

Post by bee »

Fwbl Dollman wrote:I wasn't going to rejoin in.
So - I have offered bee a Falkhelferin uniform. I have also suggested she be given a role as Kriegsberichter - She is a superb photographer and I feel she would be wasted toting a bang stick about...... bee could come and be assigned to either KP1 as KB or given a pass to "roam" and capture the action. We have a KB in the shape of Botty (Brandt) and he's going to be engaged in capturing the event on film.....
Thanks Paul, I send Pete a PM agreeing to your proposal. I will do Flakhelferin and Kriegsberichter, because I wanted to take pictures anyway.

See you all in Swynnerton!
bee.
--
the greatest pet i had was a flat rat.

Return to “UK reenactment and events”