What is the deal with SM Wholesale lately?

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

Schirrmeister43

What is the deal with SM Wholesale lately?

Post by Schirrmeister43 »

Just wondering whether anyone else has had problems ordering from SM Wholesale recently?

I placed an order in January after first corresponding with Steve about the order, paid for it all and then nothing! I emailed SMW 11 times with some initial replies "yes we will send it on so and so a day and provide you with a tracking number etc.". I called and spoke to Steve with the same assurance that my order would be sent and still nothing. After two months I put in a PayPal dispute and got my money back. SMW did not even respond to the dispute.

I don't get it. I ordered from them once before prior to this without a problem. My order was paid for and I was assured my order was in stock.

Their attitude has really put me off from ordering from them again. Anyone else been having problems ordering from them? Or only international (yet still paying) customers?
Viktor Kauer

Re: What is the deal with SM Wholesale lately?

Post by Viktor Kauer »

Heard similar things I'm afraid, guys waiting ages and then only getting results when getting through to 'Juan', one of his employees. Seems they concentrate more on the movie business, US military contracts and fashion sales, rather than giving a rat's ass about individuals.
Schirrmeister43

Must be a common trend with them then.

Just saw this post from 7 August 2014 - SMWholesale - Contacting them.

It's just very frustrating when you have placed an order, paid for the item and given assurances that it will be sent.

If you are just going to run a business outsourcing uniforms to Hollywood then do not advertise that you also sell to the public. Why go to the trouble of updating your website that suggests you deal with the public. I think they are doing themselves a disservice.

I for one will be going elsewhere. Glad to hear I'm not the only one this seems to be happening to.
peiper1944

Post by peiper1944 »

You are best ordering the SMW products from
other suppliers is my advice, his camo is the
best on the market but his service leaves a lot
to be desired, other vendors supplying his
products are Soldier of Fortune (UK) and Lomax
(Germany) to name a few.
Pipes
Staff-Sgt, British Airborne Pathfinders Unit (Ex SBG)

ww2airbornegroup.webs.com
Schirrmeister43

I recently ordered a pair of discounted SMW light dot 44 pants from SOF. Great service. The dots do not match the newer SMW dots currently available on the SMW website however it is the same dot pattern.

I was thinking of using the pants as a template for making my own matching pair. The camo can be replicated and printed on 14oz herringbone linen. I would say this is what SMW do as well. The camo tile is relatively small - 645x440mm.

What vendors other than SOF and Lomax sell SMW?
Schirrmeister43

Just wanted to add - I came across this looking at the SMW homepage:

"Our primary focus is providing the film and television industry with premium militaria for movies and TV shows for but we now also offer our highly detailed uniforms and fieldgear to private collectors, museums and re-enactors."

Honestly SMW should not be taking your order/money if they are not prepared to fulfill the order. Their primary focus appears to be on supplying Hollywood whilst not making available uniforms to re-enactors and the like but quite happy to take their/our money. Not a good business practice.
Rikhardr

Post by Rikhardr »

Schirrmeister43 wrote:Just wanted to add - I came across this looking at the SMW homepage:

"Our primary focus is providing the film and television industry with premium militaria for movies and TV shows for but we now also offer our highly detailed uniforms and fieldgear to private collectors, museums and re-enactors."

Honestly SMW should not be taking your order/money if they are not prepared to fulfill the order. Their primary focus appears to be on supplying Hollywood whilst not making available uniforms to re-enactors and the like but quite happy to take their/our money. Not a good business practice.

I removed them from our units links page due to the above outlined problems with filling & shipping orders.

I'll add them back if service improves but I don't want our unit members mad at me due to others poor service!

Return to “General”