Age appropriate ranks

General reenactment discussion

Moderator: Jaws

FschJg_Heilmann

Age appropriate ranks

Post by FschJg_Heilmann »

I was recently looking through a number of German reenactments websites and most of them said that you have to have age appropriate ranks. What is an age appropriate rank for a 23 year old? I understand that a young lad in his 20s couldnt be a Generalmajor.
Gliderinf

Re: Age appropriate ranks

Post by Gliderinf »

Don't know what websites you've been reading ?

Most folks are way too old for the ranks they wear - but we'd have a hell of a lot of cheifs and very few indians otherwise.

some people use age as an excuse for high rank (especially promenaders) But if you are in a group (as you should be) then you wear what the group says / needs.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
pepperpot

Post by pepperpot »

i started at the bottom of the pile 12 years ago, with the lufty FD when i was 56. moved on since then.
Does depend on the group you are with. I guess its the same in the U.S. as it is here in the UK.
getting someone to start re enacting at the age of 20+ is difficult, namely due to cost, getting someone 40+ to do the same is generally not a problem. so what ever your age, its likely that you wont be giving the correct impression. thats why at i'm off to join a new unit of volkssturm here in the UK cos this is my age group.
graham
FschJg_Heilmann

I am not in a group but I read that some where. I cant find a group where I live so I think I might try and start one. Nothing big but maybe a small 3-4 man group for the time being.
berlin1945

Post by berlin1945 »

FschJg_Heilmann wrote:I am not in a group but I read that some where. I cant find a group where I live so I think I might try and start one. Nothing big but maybe a small 3-4 man group for the time being.
do what makes you happy
An Duine nach bhfuil sé Laidír caith sé a bheidh Glíc

Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe, Neart inár Láimhe, Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga Sealadach
christiandbn

Post by christiandbn »

Quite honestly, the German army had young officers at any rank (except the very top ones). I wouldn't base rank in relation to the age, but rather to the ability and interest of the person. I am one of the youngest members of my group, but I am "der Spiess" of the group, simply because I am the most interested in the area, and spends a lot of time researching uniforms and equipment. There are older and more members with seniority in my group, but not everybody is capable, nor willing to take such roles.

Given that you're starting very small, I think you can all keep a junior rank (maybe even the lowest - schutze). Ranks like Gefreiter were given according to years of service, but that is something you can implement as the group grows larger. If you agree, you can appoint one NCO at most.

Good luck with your group. Let me know if I can be of any help. I've been in your boots when my group had gone a big division prior to my entry, and we started with just 4 men. Now, given some values and direction, we're closing on 40 members.
The fighter must seek battle in the air. Luftwaffe Supplies
FschJg_Heilmann

Thanks for all the advice. I just have to find a few people who share the same interest or close to the same interest as me reenacting the German Army ha. I am thinking about being a Hauptgefreiter or Obergefreiter
FschJg_Heilmann

One more question... Could the EM wear crusher caps? Or did you have to be over a certain rank?
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

I think you already know the answer - and you're wanting someone else who wears inapropriate headgear to tell you its fine to do so.

Wear what the vast majority wore - and keep the rank as low as possible.

Never look for an excuse to do otherwise.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
Peiper

Post by Peiper »

FschJg_Heilmann wrote:One more question... Could the EM wear crusher caps? Or did you have to be over a certain rank?
Usually NCO's wore the crusher cap from Sergeant to above is the usual case,
good luck with starting your group, i did try to put one together but ufortunately
in my area there wasn't enough people intrested (im from the Midlands), more
intrest is further down South so eventually joined a larger more established group
as for NCO rank, i would personally go with the rank of Squad leader (Sergeant) for
a small group to make it more feasible to begin with, higher ranks were usually
associated with larger numbers, anyway good luck with it :wink:
Pipes
Halle

Post by Halle »

You're getting the crusher mixed up with the walking out cap . The crusher was issued well before the war for officers wear , and was supposed to be withdrawn in 1942 (?) . It was popular as a sign of front line service and continued to be worn . It had no chin strap , unlike the later officers version and the EM /NCO's version ( which was leather ) , and was meant for wearing with the walking out dress , not on the front line- so no , wearing a " crusher " as an EM is incorrect .
Jäger Stefan Halle 3./I./Geb.Jag.Reg.100
FschJg_Heilmann

Gliderinf wrote:I think you already know the answer - and you're wanting someone else who wears inapropriate headgear to tell you its fine to do so.

Wear what the vast majority wore - and keep the rank as low as possible.

Never look for an excuse to do otherwise.
If I already knew the answer I would not have asked the question or wasted anyone's time.
FschJg_Heilmann

Peiper wrote:
FschJg_Heilmann wrote:One more question... Could the EM wear crusher caps? Or did you have to be over a certain rank?
Usually NCO's wore the crusher cap from Sergeant to above is the usual case,
good luck with starting your group, i did try to put one together but ufortunately
in my area there wasn't enough people intrested (im from the Midlands), more
intrest is further down South so eventually joined a larger more established group
as for NCO rank, i would personally go with the rank of Squad leader (Sergeant) for
a small group to make it more feasible to begin with, higher ranks were usually
associated with larger numbers, anyway good luck with it :wink:
Pipes
Thanks. I don't know of anyone who is interested in Axis reenactments except for 2 groups way south of my town.
Gliderinf

Post by Gliderinf »

"If I already knew the answer I would not have asked the question or wasted anyone's time."

People do it all the time - they like someone else to agree to it - so they don't feel so bad about doing what they know themselves is wrong.
Gliderinf / Luftlande
FschJg_Heilmann

Gliderinf wrote:"If I already knew the answer I would not have asked the question or wasted anyone's time."

People do it all the time - they like someone else to agree to it - so they don't feel so bad about doing what they know themselves is wrong.
I understand that and some people's tendencies. But excuse me for tryin to learn more about my interest and what is correct and what is nice. If you see something else I post that you feel I'm trying to get someone to side with me so I think it's correct, PLEASE do me a favor and not reply. Thanks

Return to “General”